Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 crv AWD with half life left on all season tires. I feel that on slick roads with like inch or so , crv slips badly. OK, so iam at 20 miles per hour (or even less) and I step on the brake like 100 - 200 feet away to slow down and try and take a right turn. Its the most horrible experience with this crv. I just wanted to know if its just me OR thats how bad the CRV is!?

Dealership wanted like $65 to check if there is an issue in the AWD system or whatever.

Any feedback is appreciated

(wrong thread sorry)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Times 2 on snow tires. There has been several post's on here about having EXTRA RIM'S with snow tires dedicated for winter, must mean something, JMHO, good luck.
David g. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have had the OEM tires on the CRV for one season in the snow and they were beyond horrible. I drive about 500 miles a week in the snow and the CRV would not grip well when taking off and would not stop at all and would constantly activate the ABS when trying to slow down. The CRV AWD system I think is a decent system but I do tend to think that the system sends to much power to the back when taking off. I would always get the rear end to start swinging around when taking off. I have snow tires tires and the CRV feels unstoppable. I think ground clearance is the only issue if teamed up with snow tires.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Like all the posts above, get snows if you don't want to feel out of control in the snow. Remember that AWD, 4WD etc only gets you going in the snow, they don't do a thing for stopping !! Stopping is from the tires and unless they can grip the road, they will slide.

Get a set of snows on a set of rims, you can skip the TPMS sensors. I have them on our 09 without the sensors and you get used to driving with the TPMS warning during the winter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went from a WRX to a CRV and used all season tires on my WRX for 80000 miles. Not all tires preform the same. We see some fair share of snow in MA. If you want ultimate traction in snow and ice, I would recommend snow tires. For me I would slap on some high quality all seasons with tread pattern better for snow on. I will have to say the AWD is better in my WRX but my 2005 CRV is a snow monster as well. I haven't got the chance to drive my 2016 in the snow yet.

I had some Continental extreme contact DWS tires and they were very good in the snow for all seasons. They do wear fast but that didn't bother me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We have a 2013 V and just bought a 2005 V, for the daughter. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We use all seasons and do fine. We also live in a snow belt. 140+" of snow in the 12-14 weeks of snow season. We drive according to the conditions of the road meaning slow it down, understand physics and drive accordingly. Every first snow of the year, more than 10% of the vehicles on daily commutes get crashed up or fender benders because people just forget that it's slippery as hell outside.

Continentals in the V and Michelin on the JGC. On FWD Nissan we departed with we ran Blizzak snow and ice tired because no tire worked well, especially on back roads with hills that had lights at the top and bottom.

They do plow and salt here heavily too and roads get relabel every other year at the latest. We just deal with things slower.

In the Rocky Mountain benches of SLC I had a Land Rover Discovery. I was going down a slight grade when the sun disappeared behind a cloud. Instant ice and even with snow tires and ABS I just coasted at the turn and went straight through a rod iron fence. I was going about 10mph and was ticketed for excessive speed for the weather. I was upset, the home owner had this happen 4 years straight and the city/HOA approved large boulders near the road edge. Still you can have the best gear in the world but physics are physics. I was on a downgrade and that 2.5 ton truck had forward momentum, even if is was pretty slow in my book. Weird winds then the sun was covered, end of story. Speed is usually the biggest factors in snow.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

·
Super Moderator
3,238 Posts
Snows are great. On a FWD Volvo they were mandatory if you wanted to get out of the driveway with an inch of snow on.
With AWD snows will be amazing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some all-season tires do better in snow than others. I don't know if the '12 uses the same oem Continentals that came on our '09, but our experience was that the first winter was ok with the Conti's but by the 2nd winter I felt the need to get dedicated snows because while there was enough tread on the oem tires not to toss them, they were horrible in snow and ice. So we saved them for warm season use and got a set of snows. Man moons later the wife gets a new Pilot and I inherit the V. I got General Altimax RT43 all-seasons on them now which are rated well for snow and my plan is to ride them all year long. In short, the oem Continentals did not impress me at all.

BTW - we live in rural VT so we know snow. And I'm out to work before the plows hit the roads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts