Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 crv AWD with half life left on all season tires. I feel that on slick roads with like inch or so , crv slips badly. OK, so iam at 20 miles per hour (or even less) and I step on the brake like 100 - 200 feet away to slow down and try and take a right turn. Its the most horrible experience with this crv. I just wanted to know if its just me OR thats how bad the CRV is!?

Dealership wanted like $65 to check if there is an issue in the AWD system or whatever.

Any feedback is appreciated

·
Registered
229 Posts
if your driving on snow your best bet is a true blue winter tire.
It's not your car, it's the tires.
Also, AWD has 0 to do with braking, just taking off grip.
If you don't want to switch tires every season try 'all-weather' not all season.
look for Nokian wr suv or their lower priced line Nordman wrsuv, Vredestein Qatrac suv etc, all weathers that are severe snow rated.

iu.jpg Nordman wrsuv.jpg Vredestein quaracsuv.jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
AWD does nothing to help you slow down in snow or ice. Its function is to provide motion to all 4 wheels from a dead start. That is why so many AWD end up in the ditch in snowstorms. If you do not have a hill to climb that is wet from a dead start, then AWD is a waste of money. Good, bad weather driving skills are more important than AWD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh btw, the tires I have are still from the factory installed tires..not sure what the brand is but its been 3 + years evidently.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not you, and probably not your tires so much either. I have a 2012 and the brakes lock up hard at the first sign of slipping. It's done this since new, and I think it's something with the ABS system. Even at very low speeds and you barely touch the brakes on snow or ice all four wheels immediately lock up tight and then I start feeling the ABS clicking. But if it didn't lock up the brakes I wouldn't need the ABS anyway. Annoying as all hell.

Went back to the dealer twice about it and they tell me that's just how the brakes are. What BS.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Hmmm, I like my 2013 with Bridgestone OEM tires in the snow, beats the hell out of my old Scion 2nd gen xB. Will need new sneakers before the winter though. The stockers have 65k miles on them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Depending on the model, don't some CRV's come with Continentals? I know our '09 LX did and they did not impress me at all; I don't recall how many miles were on them when we bought new ones but I remember that I was surprised how poorly they handled given how much tread was left on them at the time.

Anyway, as has been pointed out nothing beats dedicated snow tires for heavy winter weather. AWD is nice in getting and keeping you going, but even the best drive system requires traction to operate. We live in VT and run General Altimax Arctic's in the winter and Altimax RT43's for the rest of the year. Both are excellent tires and typically are priced very reasonably, much cheaper than many other name brands. If you only get some snow but not a ton, the RT43 all-seasons are still M+S rated for snow and mud so could well be the only tire you need year round. Tires seem to be very personal decisions and everyone has their own favorites, but you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check those two out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not you, and probably not your tires so much either. I have a 2012 and the brakes lock up hard at the first sign of slipping. It's done this since new, and I think it's something with the ABS system. Even at very low speeds and you barely touch the brakes on snow or ice all four wheels immediately lock up tight and then I start feeling the ABS clicking. But if it didn't lock up the brakes I wouldn't need the ABS anyway. Annoying as all hell.

Went back to the dealer twice about it and they tell me that's just how the brakes are. What BS.
That is really really bad misinformation if your abs is clicking your wheels are not locking up and your abs is working as it's supposed too.
Your abs is working overtime because of the hard rubber of your tires on ice.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
That is really really bad misinformation if your abs is clicking your wheels are not locking up and your abs is working as it's supposed too.
Your abs is working overtime because of the hard rubber of your tires on ice.
No, it's not misinformation. There's no reason for the brakes to lock up the way they do. At low speed on dry pavement a light tap of the pedal will just about put you through the windshield. Traveling on a snow packed or icy road and having to hit the brakes because a light changes or the car in front of you brakes can be a very exciting experience. I don't think it's just my cr-v, I think it's a Honda design issue or a problem with the ABS controller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts