Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have found the lack of battery life on the 2012 to be quite on issue online, and if this has been covered before then I apologize for the redundancy. I have gone through 2 batteries in the last 3 years and just had to put in another battery today. After some digging here is what I have found, and if anybody knows better please chime in:
-There is an update that does not do anything to fix the problem
-The alternator should put out about 14 volts to keep the battery charged for a long battery life
-My alternator, and pretty much all with this problem are charging at around 12 volts during the day, and 14 at night, which is why the batteries are not lasting long.
-Honda knows this but doesn't do anything about it, since it is not a safety concern they do not need to notify the owners

The fix I have found, believe it or not, is to cover the light sensor on the center of the dashboard next to the windshield. (Rectangular convex box) If it is covered with black paper, or something that does not let light through, the car thinks it is night and will charge at 14 volts. I know my way around engines but not the new computers and electronics so this was a shock to me. I think since the car assumes it is dark and it needs the headlights on it will be an additional power drain so the computer tells the alternator to ramp up the voltage. (my guess) It works for my car with the voltage, but don't take my word for it, get a volt meter and check it yourself on your own car and see if it works. This should increase the life on the batteries to what they are capable of...

Hope this helps someone

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Way to go Aquaman1!

The fix I have found, believe it or not, is to cover the light sensor on the center of the dashboard next to the windshield. (Rectangular convex box) If it is covered with black paper, or something that does not let light through, the car thinks it is night and will charge at 14 volts. Hope this helps someone
A streak of pure brilliance!

A note though, I would expect for this to also fake out the Auto headlight control, so they must be controlled manually?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,581 Posts
Let's correct something the OP says.

Alternators vary their output these days depending on the state of the battery charge. This has been going on your years in an effort to squeeze better mpg out of cars.

14 v is normal post start, and when heavy consumption is occurring. One charged that drops to a 12v trickle.

What's the warranty on the batteries you buy?

·
Registered
437 Posts
The alternator puts out full voltage when the headlights are turned on, the rest of the time it is putting out in the 12.4 volt range trying to save a small amount of gas. Covering the sensor is just fooling the car to turn on the headlights. If you are not in auto mode for the headlights this will not cause an increase in charge because the lights won't be on. If you drive a lot of short trips it will help you to turn on the headlights each time. These batteries are never getting fully charged that is why when my CRV is parked I hook up a smart charger to fully charge the battery. Just past 4 years on the original battery.

·
Registered
776 Posts
There is a TSB for the 2013's as they "flashed" mine at the dealer and it seems to have dealt with the issue. I was told (as Rocky said) the program called for an infrequent charging depending on the need. Now the reflash has supposedly called for a more frequent charging so we'll see. Check the Recall, TSB section to see if the TSB covers 2012 as well. Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had the update you are speaking of Mag, and it has not helped. 2012 and some of the "13' seemed to be affected but then Honda seemed to fix it the problem with models after.

Thanks for the clairification blue

Yes Rocky, the problem seems to be the "once charged" part. The voltage is dropping before batteries are fully charged. Go onto google and type in type in 2012 CRV issues and by far the battery and starting problems are the number one problem. I let the dealer put it the standard batteries since they are guaranteed for 3 years and the last two they have dropped in for free since they died prematurely. Just had to keep a pair on jumpers in the car and hope I am in a decent area!!! They are not bad batteries, not top of the line either.

Yes, the daytime headlights will now shine brighter!

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
I'm sorry about all your luck with the batteries. I bought my V in August of '13 new with 6 miles on it and now we 27K with the original battery with no issues. I've read on here that interstate batteries are really good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, interesting thread, thanks! Yeah, I have had the service bulletin 12-041 done, if there is something additionally then I am unaware of it and so was the Honda service rep yesterday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts