Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have been doing some research with no solid questions. Any one can tell me whats biggest tire a stock CRV can take? I was looking at some jeep wheels and tires and can find them for cheap. My only issue is I do not want to buy them only to have alot of rubbing issues.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
235/70/17 fit fine, butt

the stock oem EX rims that come off a 2012 CRV EX
I just put 235/70/17 Michelin LTX M/S2 on my '10. They are 30" diameter and 9" wide at the fattest point with no problems. OEM tires are 28.5" diameter.

However, there is not much more room. I would strongly advise against using anything with a diameter larger than 31".

You can go on Tirerack.com and look at the Spec. for whatever tire you are considering to find it's diameter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 235/65/17 blizzaks on right now for the winter and there is a TON of room left and they measure 29", .5" larger than stock. I'm on the fence for new tires about either going with a 255/55/18 or 255/60/18, measuring 29" and 30"

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
235/70 17

That's what size I will be adding in the spring. I'll be going with the new BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A(Highway All-Season). Highway tire with a bit of Off-Road grit, and great looks, and reviews.

See a pic in my Garage

I just put 235/70/17 Michelin LTX M/S2 on my '10. They are 30" diameter and 9" wide at the fattest point with no problems. OEM tires are 28.5" diameter.

However, there is not much more room. I would strongly advise against using anything with a diameter larger than 31".
Love this pic, but don't know anything about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the picture. That pretty much seals the deal for me on the smaller size, I don't think a 30" will work on mine with the tire width I want to go with and the lower offset of the wheels I have. Thanks for saving me the aggravation. BTW, your CRV looks good!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You are welcome.

Thanks for the picture. That pretty much seals the deal for me on the smaller size, I don't think a 30" will work on mine with the tire width I want to go with and the lower offset of the wheels I have. Thanks for saving me the aggravation. BTW, your CRV looks good!
And thanks for the compliment.

I realize it is an optical illusion, but it looks longer and lower with 235/70/17 than with the 235/65/17, which are now on the '07.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
235/70 17

That's what size I will be adding in the spring. I'll be going with the new BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A(Highway All-Season). Highway tire with a bit of Off-Road grit, and great looks, and reviews.

See a pic in my Garage

Love this pic, but don't know anything about it.

WOW crazy thing about me starting this thread is THATS THE TIRE I WAS LOOKING AT IN THE SAME SIZE!!! I want more beef in my tire and thats what I was looking at fitting in the CRV. I am wondering when are you getting yours? PICS would be awesome to see what I am getting myself into.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Update - LOVE THESE TIRES!

Only a few hundred miles and no snow/ice but wet traction is amazing, dry traction is amazing, but my main concern is THE RIDE! Much better!

Totally different feel. They quietly roll over instead of bounce over things like, man-holes, bumps, expansion joints, etc!

Steering is somewhat less responsive than the 235/65/17 Primacy MXV4, but not nearly as bad as the OEM Duelers.

Speedometer is changed a LOT!

Original was about 2.5 mph slow - 58 at indicated 60. Now it is about 1.5 mph fast - 61.5 at indicated 60.

And acceleration is noticalby slower, but well worth the improved ride - which was the point.

They also have UTQG rating of 720 AA.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
WOW crazy thing about me starting this thread is THATS THE TIRE I WAS LOOKING AT IN THE SAME SIZE!!! I want more beef in my tire and thats what I was looking at fitting in the CRV. I am wondering when are you getting yours? PICS would be awesome to see what I am getting myself into.
I hope your not talking about the tires in that pic, 'cause they look like bigger M/T (Mud Terrain) tires, with a OME lift kit but I could be wrong.

If your talking about Rugged Terrain A/T tire, then I'll be getting them in the spring, so possibly another month. Will gladly post my pics. Been toying with the idea of a OME lift, but decided against. I decide to stick with stock suspension and get the biggest tire to fit without rubbing, like I did with my 2000 CRV. But will not buy Michelins again, as I was disappointed with them.

Ooops, this always get's in here by mistake

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SOOOOOO guys in my quest for greater ground clearance I found theses guys. Dobinson Honda CRV Lift Kit http://www.rocky-road.com/honda-crv-lift-kit.html

i wonder if anyone here has done the mod or would even want to lift the CRV?

It is meant for 2012+ CRV's and it raises them up 1.5 inches more. I emailed the company already and its 340 and the kit is made up of four new springs and you use your stock shocks. I am interested in the kit since I want more ground clearance in the winter since being in the Massachusetts snow belt. That is why I started this thread to see how much bigger tires I can fit in the CRV.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I haven't seen anyone here who has raised a 4th Gen CRV, other than doing some web searching you may be on your own. One thing to remember on the tire size, the wheel opening from front to back will determine the biggest tire that will fit, with the front being the most critical. If you are changing wheels, width and offset will impact the tire size.

Does Rocky-Road have any customers who have installed the 4th Gen Kit?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did not ask but I think I might be the first one to want to order the kit. I want to ordered 235/75/17 tires as well. I work for a fire department and travel allot of wooded areas that never get plowed and the snow never gets plowed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The other thing too is I just checked and the CRV was shortened for the fourth Gen as well I believe by a couple of inches. I am kinda worried if the 235/75/17 will fit without rubbing. Spoke to the company about seeing if they can send pictures and they also said the lift does give 1.5 inches ground clearance. I would even go wider to fit a more aggressive tire but I dont want to much attention as I am looking for more beefier ride with more clearance. I just feel like that gold CRV looks super awkward with those tires but I wonder what he is running? I do like the huge clearance but it just is sticks out way to much.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
12 Participants
Apastron
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing