Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My 255/55/18 nitto terra grapplers will be here tomorrow for my '12... Beefy, WIDE and low key to not draw too much attention.

GOD DAMMMMM!!!!! pics!!!! I do want to go up on rim size. Did you look on the rear drivers side wheel? there is a huge piece of metal sticking close to the tire did you see it? I had no clue what it was but that was my fear also. What rims are you running? I think I will go with Jeep wheels and run adapters since the tires and rims are so cheap on craigslist.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a set of 5zigen 5ZR wheels that I had powder coated the same color and sheen as the black lower trim/bumpers in 18x7.5 et 42 so they should work perfect. Just went out and look at my crv and didn't see any metal that caught my attention in the wheel well?? everything seems like it will work well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry I thought theses two metal objects were going to get in the way but should not I am thinking I want to go wider so I will see if jeep wheels will do the trick. I am thinking also the European CRV's are offered with 19 inch rims too so they must fit with easy. I cant wait for you to upload pictures and also the other day I seen a fourth gen with 20 inch rims as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It actually has nothing to do with the size of the wheel itself, the problem lies with tire size. Heres a quick pic of the new tires next to my snow set-up which is wider than stock at 235/65/17...its gonna be crazy hahaha. Getting the wheels mounted tomorrow and hopefully throw them on sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey guys, I'm loving the huge tires, this is awesome!

Remember when you increase overall tire diameter, you will slow down your speedometer reading.

This pair of nut jobs from Australia has an excellent video on a simple mod, that will fix this problem, keeping your speedometer reading exactly what it should be.

Mighty Car Mods : Speedo Corrector

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
705 Posts
You've all got me looking at larger tires now too! I'm leaning towards these Goodyear AT sized at 245/65/17: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=465TR7WATAOWL

These are slightly wider but slightly shorter than the BFGoodrich 235/70/17 (about .4" shorter, and .4" wider). I looked at the clearances of my current tires and I do think a 245/65 will clear all surfaces and not rub. The Goodyears are a little more expensive, but have 10k more miles on the warranty and the best rating in their category on TireRack.com. I'll be sure to post back if I do get them. My current tires that came on my V are nearly riding on their wear bars lol. I won't go through next winter with them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You've all got me looking at larger tires now too! I'm leaning towards these Goodyear AT sized at 245/65/17: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=465TR7WATAOWL

These are slightly wider but slightly shorter than the BFGoodrich 235/70/17 (about .4" shorter, and .4" wider). I looked at the clearances of my current tires and I do think a 245/65 will clear all surfaces and not rub. The Goodyears are a little more expensive, but have 10k more miles on the warranty and the best rating in their category on TireRack.com. I'll be sure to post back if I do get them. My current tires that came on my V are nearly riding on their wear bars lol. I won't go through next winter with them.
Mike I would go bigger if I were you. I am going to see if 235-75-17 would fit. Seems like I will have some rubbing but not sure yet. My first thing is to install is the lift kit first before buying new tires. I just installed spring boosters in the back since the V since at 31 inches from the to the top of the fender wheel well on the fronts and on the back it sits at 30 inches. Now its a level and sits at 31 inches on all four corners.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah, the stock stance of the V is shallower wells in the back than front. The vehicle is level, just the styling makes for less perceived wheel clearance in the back. What spring boosters did you use? I went out and measured the wheel wells on my '07 and you don't have much more room than about 32 inches for most clearances. A 31" tire may have clearances less than 1/2" close to the torque bars and struts, or may even rub. If you end up managing it, definitely post pics. I will probably end up with 235/70/17 unless I get new wheels since most 245s won't fit on a 6.5" wide wheel, or fit properly and thus void warranties or risk safety etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes I am considering riding on 235/75-17 but I want someone to post pics of 70's to see if I can fit that little extra. Its great to hear that the the 70's run the same and dont change the crv much at all.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry I also got some generic spring boosters from Autozone they were 5.99 a piece and made a inch diffrence in the back. They were universal ones but if I would have found ones with more meat on them then I would have had more clearance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't know if you saw Richman's post, but he just put 235/70/17 on his '09 V. Here's the pic:

235-70-17.jpg

Doesn't look to be a whole lot of room for anything bigger, and I doubt the 2012+ models have any more wheel clearance, and may actually have a little less since they lowered the ride a little from 2011 to 2012.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yah I did see that but I wanted to ask him to take a couple more pics to see the complete diffrence and see if I could see how much space I have.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yah I did see that but I wanted to ask him to take a couple more pics to see the complete diffrence and see if I could see how much space I have.
I wouldn't mind a few more pics of those tires either, from other angles as well as clearances front and back. I may get new wheels if I want to stick with 245/65/17 (wider rims, 7" instead of 6.5).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yah about that I am installing a 1.5 inch lift so I should have that much more on the wheel well I believe. Maybe I can use a body hammer to hammer out a little bit more room too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yah about that I am installing a 1.5 inch lift so I should have that much more on the wheel well I believe. Maybe I can use a body hammer to hammer out a little bit more room too.
Unfortunately, unless the center of the wheel and travel range stays below the widest point of the wheel well, no amount of lift will prevent rubbing if the tire ends up being too tall, or when turning the front tires.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I just had another thought. If you have your heart set on the KOs, and 245/70/17 ends up being too big, get some cheap 16" steel wheels, PlastiDip or powder coat them black, and presto, you can still get KOs in size 245/70/16 and be right under 30" wheel height, and not even need the lift kit.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
12 Participants
Apastron
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing