Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yah I love the way my wheels look. I would hate to get rid of them but I guess its 235-70-17 :(. By the way I measured the wheel wells from the point with the widest parts and it measured 31 inches wide. SO there is no way I will be putting 31's on without to much modification.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. 235/70/17 should still fit and look monster sized in the wheel well :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks for the pics Downunder47! That looks to be a pretty tight fit. How much clearance is there when at full wheel lock left/right?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Interesting observation

Thanks for the pics Downunder47! That looks to be a pretty tight fit. How much clearance is there when at full wheel lock left/right?
At full lock steering, there is more room than straight forward. Both front and back of the front wheel. I was really surprised.

So the tightest dimension is the length of the opening of the wheel well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
At full lock steering, there is more room than straight forward. Both front and back of the front wheel. I was really surprised.

So the tightest dimension is the length of the opening of the wheel well.
How do you like the ride with the Michelin LTX M/S2? That's not a tire I had looked at previously.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Apologies for the delay...

How do you like the ride with the Michelin LTX M/S2? That's not a tire I had looked at previously.
Overall I like the ride better than GY Comfortread Touring (225/65/17), Michelin Latitude Tour - the worst ride but the best handling (235/65/17)!, Michelin MXV-4 not bad for ride and handling (235/65/17) these are now on my wife's '07.

A BIG improvement is deep bump's like manhole with 2 inches of bump, the extra diameter feels a lot different, better. They are 108T load range so the they have quite stiff sidewalls. They are unbearable with more than 34 lb pressure. I run 32 front and 29 rear referenced to 70 degrees F.

The good news, they have 2/32 deeper tread than most, 12/32 vs. the typical 10/32. Wet, dry, snow, ice - unbelievable! On wet with the wheel turned I can break the inner one loose but it doesn't just spin like others, it grabs and goes anyway. And quite comfortable at highway speeds - 60 mph and up.

They do make the speedometer about 1.5 mph slow - 61.5 actual for indicated 60.

Overall a nice fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes.

Do you feel any difference in acceleration or braking right now? The reason I asked was,I replaced my 17 inch steelies and stock tires on my 2011 LX with 18 x 7.5 on 235/55 18 with 45 mm offset,they looked very nice and perfectly flush but the ride got stiffer and i felt the power and braking suffered.
Acceleration is definitely slower, braking seems as good or better, ride is more harsh except with pressure less than 30 psi.

I checked tire specs for your new size, 235/55/18 and Honda stock 225/65/17. The 18's have a diameter of 28.2 where stock is 28.5. This would suggest acceleration should be better, mileage and ride worse.

Which tires did you get? Most on TireRack are not rated above 100 for load capability. Stock is 102 with speed rating T. Most in that size are 100 with a few 104 which will definitely give a stiffer ride.

And I noticed when I put old tires from stock steelies onto Honda alloy's the alloy's are definitely stiffer.

So you went to a stiffer wheel and shorter stiffer tire so I would expect a much stiffer ride?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Acceleration is definitely slower, braking seems as good or better, ride is more harsh except with pressure less than 30 psi.

I checked tire specs for your new size, 235/55/18 and Honda stock 225/65/17. The 18's have a diameter of 28.2 where stock is 28.5. This would suggest acceleration should be better, mileage and ride worse.

Which tires did you get? Most on TireRack are not rated above 100 for load capability. Stock is 102 with speed rating T. Most in that size are 100 with a few 104 which will definitely give a stiffer ride.

And I noticed when I put old tires from stock steelies onto Honda alloy's the alloy's are definitely stiffer.

So you went to a stiffer wheel and shorter stiffer tire so I would expect a much stiffer ride?.
Thanks for the reply,I used michelin premier a/s V rated (which is so smooth and quiet).I know its smaller in diameter but it still hurt the acceleartion and braking for some reason,it just does not drive the same,it felt like I am pulling a trailer especially on uphill inclines meaning tire/wheel combo is too heavy and shifting to overdrive got so delayed,I was so confused though coz when I tried to compare the stock steelie rim and tire weight with the new ones,the alloys and 18 inch tires are lighter,confused as I am with no options in mind,I ended up going to stock 17 inch with the same exact afetrmarket wheel style that I want with michelin defenders which is not quiet,17 inch looks OK but 18 inch definitely looked better but I just cant stand the performance loss and stiff ride.
Do you think a heavier steel wheel rides better than lighter alloy wheel on CRV?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
As I mentioned, ...

Do you think a heavier steel wheel rides better than lighter alloy wheel on CRV?
I had Goodyear Comfortread Touring on an '07 with about 20K on them. Put these tires on new Honda 2010 EXL Alloy Wheels. With the same tires, same tire pressure, the Alloys have a less smooth ride. The steelies although heavier do ride smoother.

The Goodyear Touring tires rode fairly well until around 20K miles, then lost traction and began to ride rough. Will not use them again.

I have fiddled with tires a lot and have concluded, much like you did, I prefer the performance and ride of the correct size.

Next time I will probably go to TireRack and look at their tire test results and pick the one with the best ride rating.

Good luck,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had Goodyear Comfortread Touring on an '07 with about 20K on them. Put these tires on new Honda 2010 EXL Alloy Wheels. With the same tires, same tire pressure, the Alloys have a less smooth ride. The steelies although heavier do ride smoother.

The Goodyear Touring tires rode fairly well until around 20K miles, then lost traction and began to ride rough. Will not use them again.

I have fiddled with tires a lot and have concluded, much like you did, I prefer the performance and ride of the correct size.

Next time I will probably go to TireRack and look at their tire test results and pick the one with the best ride rating.

Good luck,
I was even cosidering the GY comfortred on my next purchase but thanks for the warning.
Based on tire rack surveys/reviews,the Conti cross contact lx eco plus,pirelli scorpion verde a/s plus (very new) and bridgestone dueler H/L 422 ecopia have good ratings.I am torn between pirelii and bridgestone,like I said I want quiet and comfort,I dont even have a 1000 miles on my defenders and I might just trade it in because of noise,I thought the noise will go away as it wears but so far not yet.Im sure people at the tire store thinks im crazy especially when I returned the 18s and bought the 17s instead (they were not happy about it but oh well),maybe I am crazy about tires.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
One thing for sure...

I was even cosidering the GY comfortred on my next purchase but thanks for the warning.
Based on tire rack surveys/reviews,the Conti cross contact lx eco plus,pirelli scorpion verde a/s plus (very new) and bridgestone dueler H/L 422 ecopia have good ratings.I am torn between pirelii and bridgestone,like I said I want quiet and comfort,I dont even have a 1000 miles on my defenders and I might just trade it in because of noise,I thought the noise will go away as it wears but so far not yet.Im sure people at discount tires thinks im crazy especially when I returned the 18s and bought the 17s instead (they were not happy about it but oh well),maybe I am crazy about tires.
One thing for sure, they will not get quieter! Only louder.

Something I missed earlier, I notice a BIG difference in road noise from the rear between our '07 LX and the '10 EXL. It is the shelf in the hatch! When I lower or remove the shelf the EXL is just as noisy as the '07LX.

Sounds to me like you will happier with whichever tire has the lowest combination score of best for ride and lowest noise.

You might consider getting a rear shelf. From Honda the list for a LOT, somewhere around $400! But I think someone has found them on eBay or discounting dealers for a lot less. Be careful to get the correct color.

Ooh. You could go to a car lot with your year and "borrow" a shelf for a test ride to see how much difference it makes. I would hope that whoever you bought the car from would let you do so?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
downunder47's suggestion for a rear cargo shelf (if you don't have one) is a good one, my wife and I had noticed the same in the 07 we had and even now in our 13 we keep the retractable cover pulled (not as effective as the shelf) to help quiet the ride.

Regardless of the tire choice, you will still experience some road noise, something that wasn't seriously addressed until the 15's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks downunder and crvex,do I have to buy the shelf and retractable cover to really make a difference or i can install eiher one?
Thanks again..

·
Registered
644 Posts
Something I missed earlier, I notice a BIG difference in road noise from the rear between our '07 LX and the '10 EXL. It is the shelf in the hatch! When I lower or remove the shelf the EXL is just as noisy as the '07LX.

downunder47's suggestion for a rear cargo shelf (if you don't have one) is a good one, my wife and I had noticed the same in the 07 we had and even now in our 13 we keep the retractable cover pulled (not as effective as the shelf) to help quiet the ride.

Excellent ideas! I never thought about that way. I have a 2014 CRV, it came with tonneau cover, no shelf. I will put the cover back and see if it makes a difference. Both ends on the tonneau cover have spring-loaded caps. Those will probably act as shock absorbers between the two sides on the rear and reduce trim vibration as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I really, really miss my 235/70 17 BFGoodrich tires. Can't wait to get my winter tires off. The bigger tires gave such a smooth ride and never felt so good driving over curbs and other obstacles. I make my own road rules..... ;o)

From what I understand, not sure if the 235/70 17 would fit with with just a FWD CRV. Thought I read somewhere where it might be a smaller fit in the wheel well and chance of rubbing, but I get absolutely have no rubbing with the AWD CRV

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They fit fine...

I really, really miss my 235/70 17 BFGoodrich tires. Can't wait to get my winter tires off. The bigger tires gave such a smooth ride and never felt so good driving over curbs and other obstacles. I make my own road rules..... ;o)

From what I understand, not sure if the 235/70 17 would fit with with just a FWD CRV. Thought I read somewhere where it might be a smaller fit in the wheel well and chance of rubbing, but I get absolutely have no rubbing with the AWD CRV
My '10 has 235/70/17 with plenty of room. I would be stunned if the RWD and AFD wheel wells are different?

Tires235-70-17.jpg

41 - 60 of 64 Posts