Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 CRV with ~4300 miles on it. When sitting in the garage and backing out it makes a clunking sound when moving. It is periodic so it is almost like every rotation of the rear axel something is clunking. If you hold on the brakes it does not change the sound. It seems loudest when it sits for a slightly longer period of time (say over an hour). After you drive for 15 minutes and use the reverse, it miraculously stops. It is not a super loud sound but it is noticeable with the radio off. It is definitely in the rear end and IS NOT rocks in the tires clicking but is similar in the cyclic nature of the sound. Light thumping sound or clunking sound in the rear end while in reverse.....any ideas? I plan to take it to the dealer if it continues which seems to be the case. AWD slipping? Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm thinking it sounds more like a bad bearing in the propeller shaft or a rear axle constant velocity bearing. This seems unlikely on such a new car though. There has been some trouble reported with the 4th gen rear diffs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This referenced thread seems to be more on startup and possibly with the AC on. Mine is not on startup and is only when going in reverse (No AC On). Thanks for referenceing the thread though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixer, if this sound is coming from the rear axel constant veloicty bearing or propeller shaft bearing why does the sound go away after driving forward for 10-15 minutes (going in town on average of 25-35 MPH) then going in reverse and nothing happens? The bearings are warmed up by then enough to not make noise? Could the bearings be installed incorrectly?

Do you have any info or link to the issues with the 4th generation diffs? If I go to the dealer I would like some ammo if it is needed so they can't look at it and say "I did not hear anyhting" or "This is normal" because it seems like it is more than a normal sound.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Many things can cause and relieve bearing noise, it's difficult to say exactly what is going on in there, but bearings can do that in the initial stages of failure. Good news is that they seldom fail catastrophically without considerable time/noise passing.
The rear diff problems are fairly well summed up in this post of multiple pages. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/18324-2012-awd-ticking-noise-rear-differential-4.html Hopefully this is not your problem as HONDA seems to be dragging their feet a little on it.
If they give you the "this is normal" that's good, cause at least they are admitting they can hear the sound. You now have a record of it if you ask them to mention it on the diagnostics report. Then you can ask them to show you some more 4th gens with the same noise!!! gotcha!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed because I have the exact problem as you and my CRV is less than 12 months old and only done 2100 miles?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts