Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7,000 miles on my 2012 CRV and brought it in for the first oil change at my local Firestone. They wouldn't change the oil and said that I should go to Honda due to a ticking noise and the engine burning oil. I went to Honda and they did the oil change and didn't seem concerned about the ticking noise in the engine. They confirmed that I was down 1.5 qts of oil. The oil was changed at 20%. The ticking noise is still happening even though the oil has been changed. It's particularly loud at start up. Honda said I should come back after 1,000 miles to check the oil level. Should I be concerned about this? Anyone else experience this ticking noise and burning oil? Firestone said the ticking noise is the result of the lifters being "starved" for oil as a result of the engine burning oil. Not sure what to believe. Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't answer the question but I would be very concerned if I was "burning" any oil in that vehicle. I have never topped up the oil in my 2006 or 2012 CRV's and they were always at the full mark. I would make one recommendation...make sure you keep every copy of your oil change work orders or better yet only have the oil changed at the Honda dealer. I will assume you used the correct oil at Firestone for your first change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer the question but I would be very concerned if I was "burning" any oil in that vehicle. I have never topped up the oil in my 2006 or 2012 CRV's and they were always at the full mark. I would make one recommendation...make sure you keep every copy of your oil change work orders or better yet only have the oil changed at the Honda dealer. I will assume you used the correct oil at Firestone for your first change.
Thanks. I agree. This is my 4th Honda (1st CRV) and I've never had a problem with oil burning. As such, I'm very concerned. I got my first oil changed at Honda so at least the issue is documented.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should not be losing 1.5 qts of oil. something is wrong. call honda. call the honda regional person. don't go home without a rental car and a new engine. Worst time to get engine problems is in the first 10K miles. That is when your engine is breaking in and that off the manufacture line oil is properly lubricating a freshly polished engine.

Any white smoke out your tailpipe? Any dripped oil where you park?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought it was normal for the K24 to burn a little oil? I go through about 1/2-1 quart every oil change. No abnormal sounds, car drives great and I have 18,000 miles. It would suck for me to have my engine replaced because I had the engine in my 2011 Odyssey replaced already this year. Some new cars burn oil, as long as you're not burning through more than 1 quart every 1,000-2,000 miles you should be fine. Just asked a similar question on HondaSUV.com and the tech said it was normal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
just curious, why would you NOT go to honda for first oil change?

generally they do the first one free.

did they adjust your valves?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seeing your vehicle is still under warranty, I would be pretty religious with the maintenance packages that Honda recommends or they will not honour the warranty if something goes wrong. Do it all at a Honda dealer. once the warranty is finished, do what you want.

I have an 05 CRV with 100,000km and I never once had to add oil during oil change intervals. Follow what your dealer recommends about monitoring the oil and bringing it in after 1000 miles. If it keeps consuming oil like that once it's broken in, I would push for an engine change before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm now at 11,000 miles and its still burning oil and the ticking noise has returned. I checked the oil and I'm below the bottom circle which is low oil. I will be bringing it back in to Honda. I've never had a Honda or any other new car burn oil and although they claim this to be "normal" this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm now at 11,000 miles and its still burning oil and the ticking noise has returned. I checked the oil and I'm below the bottom circle which is low oil. I will be bringing it back in to Honda. I've never had a Honda or any other new car burn oil and although they claim this to be "normal" this is unacceptable.
Lets hope the CRV doesn't turn into the 2008 accord saga. :eek:

I also agree that burning that much oil is unacceptable, I guess in the US the limit is 1 qt per 1,000 miles. If that was true then whats the point of synthetic oil that also means that you would need to change your oil every 2 months 2,000 miles otherwise it would get to low and cause engine damage.

As for ticking that seems to happen to indicate that your oil is low. The worst thing is that low oil light never comes on until you have no oil left. What is the point of that light if it only comes on when it is to late?

If they tell you its normal ask them if they will give you free oil. Since changing oil so many times especially since engines are built to last up to 10K on oil changes. Ask them if you can come in every 2 months and get some free oil to top off until you reach the MM at 15%, and you want the official 0w-20 oil not some bulk 5w-20 or 5w-30 they have laying around. You should not be paying out of pocket for oil just because something is going on with the engine.

If my car was burning oil, I probably use a higher velocity oil 5w-30 high mileage conventional oil and run it for 3,000 mi. The high mileage is to swell the seals to ensure they sat properly or to cover any leaks, then switch back to 0w-20. Since it is under warranty I would not do it because they would void your warranty for wrong oil.

Just curious if you follow the break in procedure in the manual? I would call Honda up and explain to them that the CRV was burning oil at 7,000 miles and now at 11,000 miles the CRV is still burning "what I consider to be unreasonable amount of oil, for a vehicle with only 11,000 miles." They probably throw you in some sort of oil consumption test which up to 1L per 1,000 mile is normal bull crap.

Also I wonder if you do a lot of city or short driving? With the 2008 the problem was that oil was not getting up to temperature so the oil was plugging something which in turn got the oil to engine to be burned off. Some people also blamed the 11:1 engine compression the new CRV is back to 10:1 compression.

What I would do in this situation is have them change the oil to full synthetic for easier oil flow and once changed w oil filter go on the freeway and drive it hard at operating temperatures. When I say hard I mean up to 5,500 rpm when i-vtec kicks in. The harder you drive your engine the more oil flow will go through out the engine. If something is plugged and clogging something up causing you to burn oil. Theoretically, driving like this a few times should hopefully dialogged whatever was stuck and causing you to burn oil, by forcing large amount of oil pressure throughout the engine.
The worst case is your rubber rings are not seated properly and you need new rings to reseal.. but in any case would like to know what Honda is going to do about it.

As someone said, keep all receipts even appointment dates! If something goes wrong if they fail to put in the history of some stuff you have a paper trail. Any service they do, keep it in a binder until something goes wrong. Hope it is something minor and it gets sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is still burning oil.

I have been documenting everything as all of you suggested. I've been getting the run-around by both the dealer and my Honda regional person. I did the oil consumption test and it was determined that my CR-V is burning 1/2 qt every 1,000 miles. According to the service manager (Earl Mastri) at Brandfon Honda this is normal. I then contacted my regional Honda person and they said they rely on their dealerships to provide guidance on mechanical issues and wouldn't comment on whether this is normal or not. Either way, no one is doing anything for me.

As such, I've been telling everyone I know that new Honda's will burn oil. I've been buying Honda's for over 20 years and never had this problem (or any other problem for that matter). I have an '08 Odyssey and the oil level never moves. For now I'm stuck with a defective '12 CR-V. One thing is certain. I will never buy another Honda and will continue to persuade people away from the brand until my problem is resolved.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My car is still burning oil.

I have been documenting everything as all of you suggested. I've been getting the run-around by both the dealer and my Honda regional person. I did the oil consumption test and it was determined that my CR-V is burning 1/2 qt every 1,000 miles. According to the service manager (Earl Mastri) at Brandfon Honda this is normal. I then contacted my regional Honda person and they said they rely on their dealerships to provide guidance on mechanical issues and wouldn't comment on whether this is normal or not. Either way, no one is doing anything for me.

As such, I've been telling everyone I know that new Honda's will burn oil. I've been buying Honda's for over 20 years and never had this problem (or any other problem for that matter). I have an '08 Odyssey and the oil level never moves. For now I'm stuck with a defective '12 CR-V. One thing is certain. I will never buy another Honda and will continue to persuade people away from the brand until my problem is resolved.
Really sorry to hear this. I know how you feel. I got my CR-V to replace a Forester that used about the same amount of oil, maybe a bit more. (Don't get a Forester or Outback with the FB25 engine - ongoing consumption issues.) This is incredibly frustrating and one thing I've learned is that all manufacturers have what most consider unreasonable consumption specs (Subaru's is 1 qt every 1,200 miles.)

I hope that Honda does something for you. It's no fun having this problem and being a slave to your dipstick.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, lucky you didn't own a 2008 accord, that got sued for lets see.. oil consumption, premature brakes.. that was a terrible year for the accord I think it is when they switched over to the new design.

As for engine oil consumption, my 2012 is problem free at only 10,000 miles. The first oil change at 5,000 miles the dipstick was at the full mark. 10,000 miles now and the dipstick is still full. If I lost oil I don't notice any.

The reasons why I think your engine is burning oil can be 2 things.
1. Rings were not seated correctly during assembly.
2. You did not break the vehicle in correctly.

I wonder, how exactly did you break in your CRV when new? If you did a lot of short trips <10 minute drives during its first 100 miles and drove like a grandpa <3000 RPM within its first 500 miles then the rings would not have seated correctly.

So far you seem to be the only one who has engine oil consumption problem, or others have not noticed yet. Since this engine is using a new style piston only time will tell if the engine will burn oil. The Honda Accords did not show signs until 30,000 miles.. We will see in 2 more years if people start reporting oil consumption problems here on the forums.

The only complaints about the CRV is TPMS light and terrible fuel economy on some models.

Also for the heck of it.. I just skim through the owners manual and I don't see anything about oil consumption being acceptable.. maybe it is in some sort of other booklet? I know that my mothers 04 RAV4 in the manual it says 1 qt per 1,000 km or 1 qt per 600 miles is acceptable... which is BS.

Did you try driving it hard when the first time you had the oil consumption to see if you can set the rings /seal properly? Also is it constant 1/2 qt per 1,000 miles? Has the oil consumption gotten worst or is it constant?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,045 Posts
In my experience on varied Auto Forums, I've learned that most manufacturers won't do anything unless an engine burns MORE THAN a quart every 900 - 1000 miles.

Look on the bright side: yes, you have to add oil periodically, but you are also replenishing the additives that "wear out" over the Oil Change Interval. That's GOOD for your engine. I do that ON PURPOSE by not filling the oil to the top of the dipstick indicator at a change, then adding a bit mid-way though the OCI to bring the level up to the FULL mark.

After your car is off-warranty, try using a slightly higher viscosity oil (5W-30 rather than 5W or 0W-20, or a High Mileage formulation) and see if that reduces your engine's usage.

I bet your Honda K24 engine will STILL last 300K miles....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts