Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my battery in the car, Had both TSB's done and this summer battery died for the first time, just after I shut the car off and was sitting in the car no more than 10 minutes had to jump it (barely touch the terminals and the car fired). Happened again this weekend, same deal but this time car sat in the garage for a few days.

I called HOnda and a new battery would run me 158 installed from Honda or should I go with an Optima (I have had good experience with Optimas). The thing is I told the tech what happened and he said to bring it in as it may still have something to do with the TSB. I could hear the battery getting weaker each start.

Should I bring it in to get checked out or just get a new optima? Will it void any warranty if I get an Optima and not a new HOnda Battery. My warranty is good until 2019.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm having issues with my battery in the car, Had both TSB's done and this summer battery died for the first time, just after I shut the car off and was sitting in the car no more than 10 minutes had to jump it (barely touch the terminals and the car fired). Happened again this weekend, same deal but this time car sat in the garage for a few days.

I called HOnda and a new battery would run me 158 installed from Honda or should I go with an Optima (I have had good experience with Optimas). The thing is I told the tech what happened and he said to bring it in as it may still have something to do with the TSB. I could hear the battery getting weaker each start.

Should I bring it in to get checked out or just get a new optima? Will it void any warranty if I get an Optima and not a new HOnda Battery. My warranty is good until 2019.
I'd just go with the Optima battery. There is a big battery thread here on the forum. Use the search to find it and it should answer your questions. I have read that the Honda batteries aren't very good.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
I'd buy a lead-acid battery from somewhere BESIDES Honda. There are only a few USA manufacturers anyway. So go to a big box store or Walmart. Just be sure the manufactured date is the freshest one they have.

Be aware that sometimes the terminals on new batteries are too small for the Honda clamps. So, the clamps are tightened as much as they go, but they are still loose. If that happens to you, buy a set of terminal shims (available in any auto parts store).

My favorite battery lately is the Interstate Econo line. They are half the cost of new, 1/3 the cost of that dealer battery, and each one is tested. Look up an Interstate distribution center near you.

PS, while Optimas are good, remember that they take longer to charge, so if you commonly do short trips, buy something else.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the battery forum too but i'm very indecisive.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got a coupon in the mail from the local Honda dealer for $20 a new battery, so I used it. Total was about $110 I think, and the new battery is 500cca vs the 410cca that came in it stock. I was on my way to NAPA to pick up one of their Legend batteries until I remembered the Honda coupon and decided to check it out.

You can get a Honda, or a NAPA, or an Everstart from Walmart, or an Energizer from Sam's or an Interstate. Doesn't matter at all. You'll either end up with a decent battery that lasts 5-7 years, or you'll be buying another one three years down the road. There's only two domestic manufactures, so just pick a battery and go with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the battery was still covered under warranty and it failed the battery test. Dealer replaced the batter no charge.. YAY!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Turns out the battery was still covered under warranty and it failed the battery test. Dealer replaced the batter no charge.. YAY!
Btw, how old was your battery ?
I got a coupon in the mail from the local Honda dealer for $20 a new battery, so I used it. Total was about $110 I think, and the new battery is 500cca vs the 410cca that came in it stock. I was on my way to NAPA to pick up one of their Legend batteries until I remembered the Honda coupon and decided to check it out.

You can get a Honda, or a NAPA, or an Everstart from Walmart, or an Energizer from Sam's or an Interstate. Doesn't matter at all. You'll either end up with a decent battery that lasts 5-7 years, or you'll be buying another one three years down the road. There's only two domestic manufactures, so just pick a battery and go with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my battery was 3 years old.. still the original from when i purchased the car.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sounds like your battery was damaged by the car and should have been replaced when the TSB's were installed. Honda was doing a CYA by replacing it. Good on them for stepping up now.

FWIW, I've found battery makers have the science down when it comes to how long a battery will last. Under normal use they'll last +/- a couple of months, maybe, either side of the warranty date.
From what I've read, I don't think Honda's were not treating batteries in a 'normal' way until the TSB's came out.

Glad to hear you got yours straightened out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts