Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
103K miles start noticing high RPMs. One morning oil lamp came on and then did not come back on until later on the day. Took it to Honda and tech said no oil on dipstick. Made it sound like I have not kept up with maintenance, but that was untrue since I do go the maintenance minders. Nothing else was said.
Last Friday, engine light, steering and traction came on . Contacted Honda and had car towed. Again, no oil on dipstick. I have the fixd and it stated to replace the camshaft position sensor. Showed Honda rep.
So damages are timing chain was stretched, they said actuator needed replacement and of course oil change. $2400 in repairs. we discussed doing the 1000 mile test. But still nothing else said what it could be..
I would like to mention to them about the class action suit.
Any comments or suggestions welcomed

·
Registered
2012 CRV EX-L
140 Posts
The obvious question...is it leaking or burning oil? Sounds excessive because you've kept up with the maintenance. Got 107,000 miles on my 2012 and doesn't burn a drop...only time it used oil was when I was towing 1500 lbs. through the mountains of Pennsylvania and on to Florida. After that trip and no towing...no oil burn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No leaking oil. I placed cardboard underneath and nothing. So burning.... even though i am one of those that can’t smell anything. i like watching YouTube and mentioned to Honda rep about the PCV Valve, but they said it was clean. I don’t have a towing hitch so no extra weight.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
You should be checking the oil level yourself, at least every two-three tankfuls of gasoline. (Even THAT is less than the owner's manual specifies)
Made it sound like I have not kept up with maintenance, but that was untrue since I do go the maintenance minders.
Checking underhood fluids, like oil, washer fluid, brake fluid periodically is Good Practice for all owners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the same scenario on mine. I heard from a friend who is a Honda expert that if the car was run low on oil, it can stretch the timing chain and if the car isn't running 100% it can cause the VSA light and the steering light to go on. My daughter drives it at school it may have run low. Going in Monday to see what we can find out but I'm nervouse the bill will be well over a grand!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got the same scenario on mine. I heard from a friend who is a Honda expert that if the car was run low on oil, it can stretch the timing chain and if the car isn't running 100% it can cause the VSA light and the steering light to go on. My daughter drives it at school it may have run low. Going in Monday to see what we can find out but I'm nervouse the bill will be well over a grand!
Might be closer to $2500. Its a LOT of work!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am and have been a Honda dealer tech for 20 years, here my real world observations based on experience take it how ever need to.
The mm is a gimmick so mfrs can claim low cost of ownership. Extending the fluid changes does not help the owner, only the cost of ownership stats are benefited. When I replace stretched timing chains, scarred camshafts, I check the customer maintenance history. 90% of those failures are on extended oil drain intervals. Oil consumption issues both 4 and 6 cyl. appear to follow the same trend. We set oil change stickers at 5k miles and have very few failures on customers who follow that schedule. Your veh your money, but how many oil changes will the cost of an internal engine failure cover?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am and have been a Honda dealer tech for 20 years, here my real world observations based on experience take it how ever need to.
The mm is a gimmick so mfrs can claim low cost of ownership. Extending the fluid changes does not help the owner, only the cost of ownership stats are benefited. When I replace stretched timing chains, scarred camshafts, I check the customer maintenance history. 90% of those failures are on extended oil drain intervals. Oil consumption issues both 4 and 6 cyl. appear to follow the same trend. We set oil change stickers at 5k miles and have very few failures on customers who follow that schedule. Your veh your money, but how many oil changes will the cost of an internal engine failure cover?
Thats the first thing my friend asked me, was it run low on oil. I assume it was, but a kid drives it while away at school, so only 90% sure. What is mm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slvr7 With All Do Respect. They say to change the oil when the monitor sets at 15% and your vehicle tells you A1 or other. That is what I have been going by. As soon as that came up ... I do any And all oil changes. Seymour (my car) has been acting differently since it hit the 100K mark. If that does mean, I change oil at 40% then so be it. I will learn how to check all levels starting now. But it should have not used that much oil and tech stating dirty oil. The dirty oil bothers me. Tech also stated engine coolant needed changing, when changed in October.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
yea, 10k miles for oil change is a scam !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My MM comes on at 5k miles, but it only see short trips.
I will be working with the Honda dealer on the excessive oil usage by doing the 1000 mile checkup. since I have about 300 Miles to go, I checked the dipstick tonite and sawI have not used any oil and confirmed that with a relative. I will keep everyone up to date on my visits. A 1500 mile checkup will be next.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
How many years or miles do you think manufacturer should be responsible?
While I agree with this in principle, I know that Honda often takes SOME responsibility. So, it doesn't hurt to ask.

We have benefited from Honda's generosity on a rust claim past warranty. And, I see where Honda has been partially compensating owners on out-of-warranty CVT failures on early HR-Vs. :cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
While I agree with this in principle, I know that Honda often takes SOME responsibility. So, it doesn't hurt to ask.

We have benefited from Honda's generosity on a rust claim past warranty. And, I see where Honda has been partially compensating owners on out-of-warranty CVT failures on early HR-Vs. :cool:
While I agree with the possibility of Honda's benevolence, this is an eight year old car with 103K miles and to say they were looking into a class action lawsuit is a sign of pure idiocy. Vehicles can and do wear out and there is no mention of maintenance. The fact that they had to go to the dealer to discover they were low on oil speaks for itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the oil consumption test done yesterday. Watching a YouTube video on a 2013 crv with same problem. His Honda dealer gave him documentation on/about the test. Mine, they said come in at this mileage. Ask what the test consists of and she did not know. Well, someone looked at the dipstick and said I was so much low (1k miles ?) and that was normal. Period. So, call me ignorant, lazy, whatever, all oil changes and other fluid flushes And misc. were by the maintenance minders, The Honda dealer and other service stations never mentioned how low it was when gone in for an oil change. So as I said previously i will check more Often.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts