Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic of GPS update has been addressed before, that is there is no free GPS update to my 2012 Honda CRV, other than ordering the $149 flashdrive from Honda and updating. I refuse to pay the $149, as I do not see a point and it is not a one time cost, if you want to stay updated.
My question is this: Since 2015, the updates are free, what does it take to replace the entire GPS console itself, if that can be done?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'12 Honda CR-V LX
52 Posts
I'm not sure what you're basing the free updates on. The current available map (2020 Pink USB Map Update VC.J0 160) for the 2015 CRV is $149 + $3.95 shipping.

As for the units themselves, I dunno if the bezels are a direct fit, but it looks like you'll have to do a fair amount of wire cutting.

Here's the backside of a 2015 GPS unit.

And here's the backside of a 2012 GPS unit.

Your best bet would be to get a decent aftermarket unit. You'll get better sound, more features, better GPS, and free map updates.

·
Registered
'12 Honda CR-V LX
52 Posts
Per Honda: Honda vehicles with Garmin supplied navigation can receive 5 years of map updates at no cost.

It would appear that the free map updates probably wouldn't apply to a unit purchased used. Even so, the free updates for the 2015 would be close to, if not already expired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what you're basing the free updates on. The current available map (2020 Pink USB Map Update VC.J0 160) for the 2015 CRV is $149 + $3.95 shipping.

As for the units themselves, I dunno if the bezels are a direct fit, but it looks like you'll have to do a fair amount of wire cutting.

Here's the backside of a 2015 GPS unit.

And here's the backside of a 2012 GPS unit.

Your best bet would be to get a decent aftermarket unit. You'll get better sound, more features, better GPS, and free map updates.
Thank you for the response. When you go the garmin\honda link, the years listed are from 2015. I guess, my bad to have assumed, the updates are free from that year. Thanks for correcting.
I will just go with status quo and use my smart phone or maybe buy a external GPS unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts