Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 CRV has 38000 miles on it and it was quiet, smooth, and sharp before I got this issue. Suddenly one morning this winter (F 33 in Cleveland, OH) when I started the car, I heard rumbling noise from the engine (at least engine sound got much louder than usual) and "Tu Tu Tu " noise from the tail pipe with minor vibration when it is idling. Then I drove to interstate and I can tell the noisier engine than before and sounds like huge wind noise from the whole car (also from the passenger side board floor) but there is no wind outside at all. The issue is always there even after a couple of hours drive on the same day. Since then mostly the issue is still there and sometimes it gets a little better after 1-2 hours drive. Took the car to Honda dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the car after check up including exhaust leak. Google it and someone said it is more like exhaust leak. No good idea and I am going to local budget muffler shop to double the exhaust this or next week.

Is there any good suggestions on this issue? really need help since it is very annoying when you sit in a rumbling car everyday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Did the Honda dealer mechanic drive the car at all during their diagnosis?
Doesn't sound like it to me.
If they couldn't find any external leak in the exhaust system, I'd guess you've got a baffle that broke loose inside the system somewhere, like maybe the CAT or the muffler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. I don't think they tested it on road. I also found the VCT actuator issue as all others mentioned previously that there is very short and sharp sound on the first cold start engine sometimes. The Honda mechanic admitted that is VCT actuator issue but no fix now.

My concern is still the noisier driving than before. Should I take my car to a local muffler shop? I have a independent mechanic but I am not sure if they are good at this CAT or muffler fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Take it to another dealership if it is still under warranty.

I would have guessed it was ice lodged up in there, but it would eventually break free, especially if it was in a warm garage getting looked at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply. I was wondering the noise should be gone when the car runs another 2-3 hours if the ice gets melted and evaporated. Now my feeling is that generally the car still runs sharp except noisier engine, louder road noise, and slight "TuTuTu " sound from the tail pipe even at temp 45-50 F.

As you suggested, I might try another dealership and let them do a road test. I have extended warranty but not sure if it covers any exhaust fix. Will post it later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts