Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several older posts about the rattling noise following start up of the CRV. It's happening to my car also, and I brought it to the attention of my car dealer a year ago. He said he couldn't hear anything. Yesterday, (when the car was in for routine maintenance), I was told I need a new VTC actuator, costing over $600, to fix the rattling. Is this a reasonable cost?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,550 Posts
MOVED to the Gen4 so that others may respond. :D

There are a lot of Topics here about VTC actuator noise. Skim through a few of them. (Choose from the Similar Threads section at the bottom of the page.)

Replacing the actuator doesn't always eliminate the noise. From what I have read, though, there is no effect on the car's reliability. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So, the actual question is: Is it worth spending $600 on a repair that might not fix an issue, that won't cause a breakdown? :confused2:

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,879 Posts
I agree with Carbuff, there is no need for the fix. It's an annoying little noise that causes no harm to the vehicle. Plus, there are several people who have the fix and the noise is still present.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've seen several older posts about the rattling noise following start up of the CRV. It's happening to my car also, and I brought it to the attention of my car dealer a year ago. He said he couldn't hear anything. Yesterday, (when the car was in for routine maintenance), I was told I need a new VTC actuator, costing over $600, to fix the rattling. Is this a reasonable cost?
Was it under warranty when you first took it in? If you have documentation of the initial visit, you should be able to get it covered.

I had mine replaced (under warranty) it has been silent since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had mine changed under warranty and was good for about two years, Now sadly it's back and as noted above if not damaging - I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a 2014 EX AWD with this issue. What I observed was there may be three things at play here.
1. VTC actuator
2. Oil level - should be at or close to top mark
3. Battery - no loose connections. Excellent condition

I had the VTC actuator replaced, but the rattle returned the following winter. The dealer said my oil level is too low. I made sure it is always at the top mark. The rattle was still there 2018 winter. I had the OEM battery on. I had it replaced in Jan '18 with a brand-new Honda stock battery. No rattle remainder of 2018 winter. I posted my experience on the mega thread thet starts with "2.4L...". I will update it next winter.

My suggestion would be, consider #2 and #3 before the higher cost VTC actuator replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just quoted over $900 for a VTC actuator on my 2014 CRV. Given the documentation of this flawed part, it makes me livid that Honda won't issue a recall and replace the part. I've owned 5 Hondas. This will be my last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts