Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ! This is my first post so thank you in advance for your guidance.
I own a CRV 2012 Basic model. About 2 years into driving it i noticed a grinding noise when starting my CRV. I took it into the dealer and they said it wad the VTC and Honda cannot find the way to stop the this grinding noise and that Honda is investigating this issue. They were not going to replace the VTC because Honda manufacturers cannot find the cause. Needless to say i was not accepting that answer and after going back and forth they replaced it. Everything was fine up until 2019 and the grinding noise started again. Luckily when the first VTC was replaced i was allowed to purchase their extended warranty on the drive train. They replaced the VTC again in November and lately i have been hearing this grinding noise every so often. I believe i will be going back to the dealership but want to know if others have had the same issue and if there was anything someone did to stop this grinding noise other than replacing the VTC again.
Thank you again. I am hoping to get great advice/guidance. Rhonda-Columbia Station Ohio

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,724 Posts
Rhonda

It's true that the VTC noise is an ongoing issue that was never 100% resolved. I see that your first inquiry was in 2015.

Ask the dealer to verify that the VTC installed in November was the newest part number. Ask the dealer if calling Honda Customer Service would get you any help ? . It might not but sometimes dealers are more willing to act if you are willing to escalate.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I had the VTC actuator noise in my 2014 and the local Honda dealer replaced the VTC actuator, and also replaced the timing chain tensioner at the same time. It's only been a few months, so I am dreading the possibility of the noise coming back. :(

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
I think my 2014 may have this problem. Not sure. In the vehicle, when starting on cold morning, the sound is about 2 secs long and really sounds like it's coming from behind the dashboard. It's like an old speedo cable going into an analog speedo dial where the splines don't match initially (and the thing needs to be tightened on).

Hope it's not the vtc actuator, but I guess it might be.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Quick update re my 2014 and this issue;
Has been happening ea morning past 2 wks or so, contacted dealership about repair, doing research, not pleased with what I've found (very expensive, and many indicate the problem re-occurs).
Yesterday, hoping it might do some good, intentionally floored it a few times to activate the vtec valves (I rarely, if ever, do that). Maybe the oil passages could be clogged? Worth a shot I guess.
This morning, decided to try (in addition to above, which I have no idea if that helped) turn the key to turn motor over and then immediately turn it off (you have to push key in to turn all the way to off, so motor doesn't start). I did that twice.
The hope was that maybe doing that with the key would get some oil to the actuator. I can't say 'for sure' these things helped, but I didn't get any grinding noise (which, as said, has happened consistently ea morning for about 2 wks).

I'll continue doing / trying this myself. Maybe others with the same issue might want to try it and report back if it works or not for them. It wouldn't be a fix, but it might be a work-a-round, rather than the very expensive replacement that may or may not occur again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I turn the key all the way but do not start it. Then count to 60, turn it off then start it. Works probably 90% of the time. I also changed oil to a lighter Mobil 1 so that could help too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Also have them check the timing chain, guides and chain tensioner.
My dad had the noise in his 2015 and the dealer found the issue to be the tensioner. They were going to check the actuator after that as well. Gives me ammo to go to my dealer and request repair for mine, especially since it is still under warranty

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started getting this like couple of month ago. Do you guys know if it is covered by extended warranty? Is it a serious thing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started getting this like couple of month ago. Do you guys know if it is covered by extended warranty? Is it a serious thing?
My extended warranty says it is. If you ask Honda they will NOT guaranty it is fixed. I can't see taking the engine apart for something that may not work. I have a 2014 CRV with warranty through 2021. Only 32k so I will ask to renew when that runs out.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have a 2012 CRV that I bought new and now has 93k miles on it. I have had the VTC actuator replaced 3 times. The first was under the factory warranty and the rest under my extended warranty which is up next month (end of March). I just had the VTC actuator replaced for the 3rd time at the end of December and shortly after I had the grinding noise again. It doesn’t happen every day like it used to in the cold but occasionally. I called the dealer and spoke with the service advisor a few days after the repair and the noise had reoccurred and he said they might want to check the timing chain. I haven’t brought it in yet since it is happening sporadically. Is the timing chain Vtc actuator problem related? Meaning the VTC actuator causes the timing chain to stretch or whatever the issue is prematurely? Has anyone gotten it replaced under Honda care extended warranty? I’m looking for advice on how I should pursue this since my warranty is almost up. I appreciate any advice or help provided. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I have a 2012 CRV that I bought new and now has 93k miles on it. I have had the VTC actuator replaced 3 times. The first was under the factory warranty and the rest under my extended warranty which is up next month (end of March). I just had the VTC actuator replaced for the 3rd time at the end of December and shortly after I had the grinding noise again. It doesn’t happen every day like it used to in the cold but occasionally. I called the dealer and spoke with the service advisor a few days after the repair and the noise had reoccurred and he said they might want to check the timing chain. I haven’t brought it in yet since it is happening sporadically. Is the timing chain Vtc actuator problem related? Meaning the VTC actuator causes the timing chain to stretch or whatever the issue is prematurely? Has anyone gotten it replaced under Honda care extended warranty? I’m looking for advice on how I should pursue this since my warranty is almost up. I appreciate any advice or help provided. Thanks in advance!
Same exact situation. My extended warranty is almost up and I want to approach this correctly so the stuff gets fixed in time. Any help from the community would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was covered under extended warranty - two times and once under factory warranty. I just posted with additional questions as well.
Just made appointment for next week to bring in. The advisor said they will diagnose and see if it is covered under Honda Care. I asked lots of questions about life of timing chain and it should be life of vehicle but he did say some vehicles have been replaced at 100 -140 k miles with a cost of $1200-1400 off the top of his head. he did not know if that would be covered under warranty. I expressed concern that I wouldn’t want to replace and find out that it didn’t solve problem. Will keep you posted. He still claims it won’t affect car performance and the VTC is just rattling. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got a call from a Service Center girl. She says it is VTC and it's covered by extended warranty. That they have it in stock and I guess, they'll replace it. I wonder if it's going to fix it for me or not. Some people also mentioned that it could be loose or worn-out timing chain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In case anyone is still interested, I got the car to the dealership. They charged me $140 or so for the inspection and replaced actuator for free (I had extended warranty). After I got car back, on the first day I had constant noise coming from the engine that you could barely hear and it sound like we had crickets under the hood. On the 2nd day it disappeared and now everything seems to be just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In case anyone is still interested, I got the car to the dealership. They charged me $140 or so for the inspection and replaced actuator for free (I had extended warranty). After I got car back, on the first day I had constant noise coming from the engine that you could barely hear and it sound like we had crickets under the hood. On the 2nd day it disappeared and now everything seems to be just fine.
  1. So did they say the timing chain is good? I would also put Mobil 1 in it and give it a very short crank but don't start it, turn off then start. I have not had it now for a month after doing this, and it was doing it every morning. Most say even though fixed, it comes back every time ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked them about it specifically and they said it's unrelated. The fact that it was an office girl who was saying that makes me believe it was BS, but what could I do? I asked her again to ask mechanic to check the timing belt and she refused again. I asked again and she was kind of "okay". But Im pretty sure she didn't pass that message to a mechanic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked them about it specifically and they said it's unrelated. The fact that it was an office girl who was saying that makes me believe it was BS, but what could I do? I asked her again to ask mechanic to check the timing belt and she refused again. I asked again and she was kind of "okay". But Im pretty sure she didn't pass that message to a mechanic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts