Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a weird one. At the bottom of the rear hatch on the underside there is a gap between the inner and outer panels of approx. 1/4". I have this foam strip that runs the width of the hatch that keeps falling out. I assume its to keep dirt out and allow water that gets inside the hatch to drip through. Anyone have an idea on a part number?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
Can you provide a photo? The only rubber part I know of is the weather strip that runs around the entire hatch opening, which is item 5 in this diagram.

Never mind, I know what you're talking about now. There is no part number for that, it comes as part of the plastic tailgate garnish, item 17. You have a few options. Get a strip of black window weatherstrip, or take some clear silcone sealant and glue the foam strip back in place. The strip serves no purpose other than hide the gap between the plastic garnish and the metal tailgate.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you provide a photo? The only rubber part I know of is the weather strip that runs around the entire hatch opening, which is item 5 in this diagram.

Never mind, I know what you're talking about now. There is no part number for that, it comes as part of the plastic tailgate garnish, item 17. You have a few options. Get a strip of black window weatherstrip, or take some clear silcone sealant and glue the foam strip back in place. The strip serves no purpose other than hide the gap between the plastic garnish and the metal tailgate.
You were correct as usual. My Honda dealer agrees. I'll look around for something to use but it has to be foam so water can pass through it. Otherwise I'll just leave it as is.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
The foam they used is closed cell, water doesn't pass thru it. The water drains out via the drain holes at the bottom of the plastic garnish. You can use adhesive backed foam. There is a trick where you insert the foam with the non stick backing left on the foam. Once the foam is in place you remove the non stick backing. The trick is to create a little tail with the backing that hangs down. Then when the foam is in place you slowly pull the tail down. This is harder to explain. So I've included a link to a video that shows this when installing some side molding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts