Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am having a frustrating and ongoing issue with Honda.

I have had my CRV diesel from new (December 2012), the current mileage is 38,041, and is under an extended warranty until November 2017

• In October 2013, the DPF caused the car to go into immediate limp mode without regeneration warning lights for the first time. The dealership performed a regeneration and a software reprogramming that they said would fix the fault

• In September 2015, the DPF again caused the car to go into immediate limp mode without regeneration warning lights for the second time. The dealership again performed a regeneration and another software update that they promised would fix the fault this time

• In June 2016, the DPF caused the car to go into immediate limp mode for the third time. Again, the dealership performed a regeneration. This failure happened the day after a 300 mile high-speed motorway run

Each time I should stress that the warning light that should appear when you need to regenerate the DPF has never appeared. On each occasion, this is the first warning light that we see (with exclamation mark), and the car goes immediately into limp-mode without notice every single time.

The details of the case appear identical to one reported in What Car Magazine.

I must also stress that I do understand how DPF filters work and they sometimes get blocked. However, I don’t do slow urban driving. I drive at least 50 miles a day on fast A roads.

The dealership have told me that every time this has happened, they have let Honda know, and each time, they said Honda UK said just update the software and the problem would be solved.

Although the dealership did say they had raised a TESS case after the 3rd occasion, nothing ever happened, and every time I have asked them for an update, they have said ‘still in contact with Honda and we are doing everything we can’. Eventually, they simply said they couldn’t do any more and gave me the TESS number to sort it out by myself (and this was after they told us that if this problem happened again, it would be fixed under the extended warranty).

I followed up with Honda and this is what they are saying:

"There are 3 steps for a regeneration.

The first step is an automatic regeneration - This is carried out by the system without you noticing, this is done behind the scenes when your car is doing the required driving style for a regeneration to take place. If this automatic regeneration cannot take place for any reason e.g driving style not being met or an interruption with the regeneration during the process the car will cancel this particular regeneration a try again at a later time. If for some reason a the automatic regeneration keeps failing a light on the dash board will come on to advise the driver that this driving style needs to be changed for a regeneration to take place. However if the car feels as if the driving style will not be met it will skip this stage and go straight onto the forced regeneration that needs to done at the Honda dealership. It looks as if your vehicle is skipping this stage and going straight for the forced regeneration. Of course this information can be discussed with the technician at the dealership and he can provide a more detailed explanation of how the system works if you require or alternatively this is also explained in your owners manual"

Really? The car 'feels' I won't drive correctly so doesn't bother with any pre-warning?? Is this just made up as they are going along? Where is this in the manual? As I said, the last failure was after a long and fast motorway run (and it was my husband driving, not me, so not even the same style of driver)

Any suggestions before I try and take this further?

Thanks,
L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi EM2481, we are having the exact same problem with a 2015 model 1.6 diesel, Honda UK have been very dismissive and frankly shocking!! the dealer has tried to resolve the problem with Honda who are blaming the way the car is driven which is shocking as the car has done 16000 mile in 18 months on various journeys. I am now saying the car is not fit for purpose. I believe there is an underlying problem with a small percentage of cars..maybe software related as we had a software update that seemed to resolve the problem, however it started reoccurring after the cars first service... was another software update done then possibly? Honda UK will not let me talk to the so called technical team... I am with you that this going straight to limp mode cannot be right and is down right dangerous!! I wonder how many more DPF issues are out there? by the way I only get 42 mpg average too...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Common problem.. Uppdating ECU solve problem. Earlier timing give hotter exhaust temperature. Regenerating dont help, new filter dont help.. This should have been a re-call, since it is a "all car problem" in Scandinavia and other cold places..

·
Registered
120 Posts
You could try some Shell regular diesel,it will not cost you much to try and you have everything to gain as it is supposed to contain a lot more detergent than any other brand,it is also supposed to increase mpg, it is really
recommended for blue addative diesels where they recommend the Shell high power.Honest John the ex Ford
dealer really pushes this,saying that supermarket low sulphur causes a lot more carbon deposits in the engine.the ERG valve and sensors.Go for it,not a lot to lose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Common problem.. Uppdating ECU solve problem. Earlier timing give hotter exhaust temperature. Regenerating dont help, new filter dont help.. This should have been a re-call, since it is a "all car problem" in Scandinavia and other cold places..
hi Jensobents. Can you provide any more details of the fix you suggest, and who I would need to go to to get this done? Should any garage be able to do this? Thanks!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,938 Posts
OP hasnt been on in 4 years and the respondent above hasnt been on in 4 months.

Pointless thread, so its being locked.

Reactions: UK-Kev
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.