Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. This is sort of strange. My low tire pressure light came on and I discovered the pressure was low on the right front. I then checked all pressures and decided to check the spare also. The sticker in the door says the spare pressure is 60 psi. I checked the spare pressure and it's 20 psi, but that tire is very hard. Can it really be 40 psi low? I've never used it yet and I'm the original owner. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yep, take it up to the specs pressure for the spare. The size of the spare is why it appears/feels hard. I recently checked my 2nd car, '09 Ody, and its spare was same as you described yours. They all lose pressure after time, same as the other four wheels. : )

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just went out and checked a few of mine after reading this. My daughter's 04 Vibe was just a hair low, at 58 psi. It just had a flat a couple of months ago and the tire shop must have aired it up when they took it off and put it away.

My 08 Vibe and the 12 CR-V were both a 40psi so I aired both of them back up to the 60psi on the door sticker. Guess I'm going to have to start making that a regular maintenance item. Maybe every 6 months or so. Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure why all of them have the spare mounted upside down so you have to take it out to check the pressure. Major PITA, especially on the CR-V with all the crap my wife has packed into every spare cubic inch of the spare tire well. I still need to check my truck and another car, but it's getting dark and a storm is coming.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<<Not sure why all of them have the spare mounted upside down so you have to take it out to check the pressure>>

Initially, as I was taking our the tire iron kit, a tool kit roll, and tire chains, I thought the same thing. If it was turned over, those things would not fit to allow for the cover to be flat. I'm glad I have room for the tools and chains. .......which I hope that I never have to use. ..... YMMV :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did this fix the problem?
The problem was that the low tire light came on. Yes, after I put more air in the right front tire, the light went off. I guess a 2nd problem was that I was unsure about what the correct pressure in the spare should be and have been told that it's 60 lbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's my bad. I looked at the spare and even took it out. Looks almost like a regular tire but smaller of course. It was very hard and seem filled up to me at 20 lbs. so when I saw the 60 lb recommendation, I thought that there was some mistake. I actually know squat about spares except that the tire pressure needs to be kept up and they are designed to be driven on for no more than 100 mi. (that's a guess). I would not want to go further than 50, but sometimes you might have to and also have to drive at a lower speed, too.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Checked my spare yesterday. It was at 27 lbs!

I usually check my 4 tires, but never my spare!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
It never fails to amaze me how many people totally disregard the recommendation to drive slower on the spare. Can't tell you how many times I've been passed by a car full of people that has a mini-spare on the front and is doing 70+mph on the freeway. Those people are nuts if you ask me.

This thread reminds me, I checked the tires the other day (trying to do it at the beginning of the month now) but haven't even given the spare a second thought.

How long has it been since you've even had a flat tire?

My last one was at least 3 cars ago and I was really lucky it didn't kill me, but that's another story.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts