Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone have some information on the cost to replace the torque converter on a 2012 CRV in southwestern Ontario....likely would be taking it to a dealer. Shuddering last summer on 2-3 shift. Programming upgrade done 2015 and trans fluid changed again in 2017. Ten months and 18,000kms later shudder is back. Apparently this is a common problem. Planning on changing the trans fluid again just to see what happens. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - changed transmission fluid and shudder has disappeared again. Its almost acting like the noise from the rear differential when the fluid needs to be changed. I wish there was a way to remove more than 3 litres of trans fluid at a change but apparently this cannot be done. Almost seems like the fluid has deteriorated somehow and this is causing the issue. Anyways will continue to monitor and see how long it takes before the issue returns. Additionally, this shudder also occurs at low speeds in overdrive with light throttle.....reminded me of the shudder on my 65 Pontiac with standard trans and a leaking rear main seal....oil on the clutch plate.

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
How many KM have you covered?
Draining and refilling is a great first step. Typically we only drain a third of the fluid at each occasion.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Update - changed transmission fluid and shudder has disappeared again. Its almost acting like the noise from the rear differential when the fluid needs to be changed. I wish there was a way to remove more than 3 litres of trans fluid at a change but apparently this cannot be done. Almost seems like the fluid has deteriorated somehow and this is causing the issue. Anyways will continue to monitor and see how long it takes before the issue returns. Additionally, this shudder also occurs at low speeds in overdrive with light throttle.....reminded me of the shudder on my 65 Pontiac with standard trans and a leaking rear main seal....oil on the clutch plate.
Actually you can. Drain and fill. Drive a couple days and do it again. Do that 3-4 times, make sure to ADD LUBEGAURD RED (anti shudder) on the last fill and enjoy no more shuddering.

That's the biggest thing for Honda shuddering, getting old fluid out and adding lubegaurd red. 216k miles on mine and still perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually you can. Drain and fill. Drive a couple days and do it again. Do that 3-4 times, make sure to ADD LUBEGAURD RED (anti shudder) on the last fill and enjoy no more shuddering.

That's the biggest thing for Honda shuddering, getting old fluid out and adding lubegaurd red. 216k miles on mine and still perfect.

I went on the LubeGuard website but don't see " LubeGuard Red "....I do see Instant Shudder Fix...is this what you are referring to?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Did you have to take it to dealership for software update after doing this? I have done the update once.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you have to take it to dealership for software update after doing this? I have done the update once.
Software update only required once. Only use Honda trans fluid. Do not use Lubeguard Red or any other additive. If the shudder returns change the fluid twice within a couple of days. I have become accustomed to changing my trans fluid every 25-30,000 kms on my 2012 AWD to keep the shudder from returning. This is my experience and opinion.

68657 kms - change trans fluid
134413 kms - shudder starts change trans fluid
155682 kms - shudder back change trans fluid
156200 kms - change trans fluid and software update
183825 kms - change trans fluid no apparent shudder

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have had torque converters replaced in two 2008 Hondas due to shudder really early, I think one started before 50,000 km and the other at 65,000 or so. Known issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Software update only required once. Only use Honda trans fluid. Do not use Lubeguard Red or any other additive. If the shudder returns change the fluid twice within a couple of days. I have become accustomed to changing my trans fluid every 25-30,000 kms on my 2012 AWD to keep the shudder from returning. This is my experience and opinion.

68657 kms - change trans fluid
134413 kms - shudder starts change trans fluid
155682 kms - shudder back change trans fluid
156200 kms - change trans fluid and software update
183825 kms - change trans fluid no apparent shudder
@intruder1500, I just purchased a 2012 CR-V and it has shudder problem between 2-3 gear on light throttle at speeds between 40-50 km/h. I see you had the software update applied at 156,200 km. Did you dealer charge you for this service since it was past warranty? Do you know the Technical Service Bulletin number for Honda Canada - I was only able to find the American Honda TSB online. Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@intruder1500, I just purchased a 2012 CR-V and it has shudder problem between 2-3 gear on light throttle at speeds between 40-50 km/h. I see you had the software update applied at 156,200 km. Did you dealer charge you for this service since it was past warranty? Do you know the Technical Service Bulletin number for Honda Canada - I was only able to find the American Honda TSB online. Thanks!
Charged for the trans flush but no extra charge for the software update. Sorry, I do not have the TSB number. Total work order was $98.60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Charged for the trans flush but no extra charge for the software update. Sorry, I do not have the TSB number. Total work order was $98.60.
Thanks for checking! I'll make a call to the dealer tomorrow to check. Wish Alberta labour rates were that reasonable.... Tranny flush here is $135 + shop fees + tax.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2012 EX-L with 112,000 miles seems to have shudder upon hard acceleration from start and from slower speeds to higher speeds...all with the hard acceleration. Transmission fluid changed at 102,000 miles. I'm curious to see if a transmission fluid change is in order to eliminate the shudder problem?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 2012 EX-L with 112,000 miles seems to have shudder upon hard acceleration from start and from slower speeds to higher speeds...all with the hard acceleration. Transmission fluid changed at 102,000 miles. I'm curious to see if a transmission fluid change is in order to eliminate the shudder problem?
I changed mine twice within a couple of days to try and get more of the old fluid out. Also make sure you get the software update. I am now at 196000 kms and the shudder has not returned as of yet. I plan to change it again at 200, 000 kms as we are planning a road trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went on the LubeGuard website but don't see " LubeGuard Red "....I do see Instant Shudder Fix...is this what you are referring to?
That is what I put in mine and it fixed it. 2012 with about 112K miles at the time. Now doing fluid drain fill annually and adding LubeGuard Shudder Fix to the right ratio with the changes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is what I put in mine and it fixed it. 2012 with about 112K miles at the time. Now doing fluid drain fill annually and adding LubeGuard Shudder Fix to the right ratio with the changes.
j8j - following is a post from the originator of the Lubeguard comment ...

July 12, 2018 post

July 24, 2018 post

Retracting my advise on trans fluid

Do not use anything but DW1 if it's already got high miles with dw1. Doesnt end well.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
j8j - following is a post from the originator of the Lubeguard comment ...

July 12, 2018 post

July 24, 2018 post

Retracting my advise on trans fluid

Do not use anything but DW1 if it's already got high miles with dw1. Doesnt end well.
Did your transmission go after using aftermarket fluid?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts