Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Didnt see another posting on this topic so started one. Looking for advice.

My 2012 CRV was making random knocking noises from the center floor area when I was driving so I looked under the vehicle and noticed huge openings that look as if they have been cut out on both sides of the CRV and with insulation coming out. I took it to Honda dealership and they told me that everything was normal. I dont think insulation sticking out from the undercarriage is normal. I attached images.

Any of you seen this before or think its normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
Hi all. Didnt see another posting on this topic so started one. Looking for advice.

My 2012 CRV was making random knocking noises from the center floor area when I was driving so I looked under the vehicle and noticed huge openings that look as if they have been cut out on both sides of the CRV and with insulation coming out. I took it to Honda dealership and they told me that everything was normal. I dont think insulation sticking out from the undercarriage is normal. I attached images.

Any of you seen this before or think its normal?

I can't directly respond to your question... but that insulation does not really look like the kind that would be used in a vehicle. It looks like someone packed some fiberglass home insulation in there. But maybe I'm being fooled visually by the photo.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
424 Posts
That crap does not seem like it belongs there. It would trap water inside and rust out your underside more than insulating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't directly respond to your question... but that insulation does not really look like the kind that would be used in a vehicle. It looks like someone packed some fiberglass home insulation in there. But maybe I'm being fooled visually by the photo.
there are sound insulation white pieces heat stamped to the bottom of the panels, they look cheap but I guess they are effective, took mine out years ago as they collect moisture and dirt, but they are there from the factory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there are sound insulation white pieces heat stamped to the bottom of the panels, they look cheap but I guess they are effective, took mine out years ago as they collect moisture and dirt, but they are there from the factory
Turns out thats what they were - sound insulation. Apparently when I had the running boards installed 2 years ago the technicians had to cut into these sound barrriers for installation. No way around it. Something that was never advertised before i got the RBs nor was I ever told about the gaping holes on the bottom with low hanging insulation. Whatever happened to effective communication?

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
424 Posts
Are those aftermarket RB? The OEM RB dont require any cutting AFAIK. Infact honda even have the holes there from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, these are aftermarket OEM RBs. The service manager at the Honda dealership stated that cutting was necessary and I even confirmed it on Youtube for 2012 CRV. Something I wished I had known beforehand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts