Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have CR-V 2012 with FWD. My first transmission oil change was done by dealer at 30k. I just did transmission oil change at 60k. I drained about 3.5 qts and refilled about 3 qt. I checked dip stick,It shows above upper level (about the same distance as between lower and upper bound). I did check oil level as per instructions in user manual.

Questions:
Do I need to drain it?
Did dealer also overfill transmission oil?

Regards,

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
ATF level should be checked with the engine at operating temp, preferably AFTER being driven through ALL the gears including Reverse and Overdrive (TC Lockup) ,for most accurate reading, and within a minute after turning off the engine and the CRV HAS to be LEVEL for accurate reading.
If you checked it properly and it shows that high, than yes, the Dealer overfilled it, and, if it ran fine that high with the Dealer overfilled, why worry about it now that there is less in it Still, I prefer the reading to be very close to the max fill hole. You have to look at both sides of that dipstick and pick out the lower reading side. Many times you have to do it several times (inserting and removing the dipstick) to get a good accurate reading. Hold the dipstick horizontally immediately and read it under a bright light.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2012 CRV seems impossible to get the same level reading of the trans. fluid. I followed the manual directions several times getting different readings. I did it the old way from years ago in other cars/trucks...have car running..check...turn off, check, etc. I just put in the exact amount I drained out when I change it. It has never been the same reading and Honda mechanics tell me the same thing. EVERY other car/truck I ever owned from the 1960's until this SUV would show the exact level. I don't know if this is the case with other newer cars/trucks or not. But it sure is with mine.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Supposedly check it with the ATF up to operating temp and between 60 and 90 sec after shutting the engine off. Vehicle must be pretty level. Page 306 in the Owners manual.

Remove ATF dipstick and wipe and reinsert 'fully' and remove.
View in good light (bright sun is great with super clean fluid) and read the stick and use the lowest side reading. As soon as you remove the dipstick, hold it pretty horizontal and take a look.You may have to re-wipe and do it several times. Sometimes it is a real PITA to get an accurate reading due to the ATF fluid sticking inside the tube. On my Odyssey, I find that if I check it in the morning 'cold and before starting' it is not much different than doing it the 'proper' way.
Remember, refilling the AT with the exact amount you drained out is only good IF the level was fine before you drained it. If it was overfilled when you drained it, it will be overfilled when you add the same amount back, If it was underfilled when you drained it, it will be underfilled when you add the same amount back.
That's the way I check the AFT level.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi FWD
94 Posts
If you know you put in right amount of fluid then don't worry. Also check with your dealer to see if you have the latest updated transmission software.

2.3 qt fluid for 2WD
2.7 qt fluid for AWD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts