Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I'm a new member of the club. I have been unable to find a cat shield for my 2012 CR-V. There seem to be several websites offering one for models up to 2011, but not 2012 forward. Anybody know where I can acquire one?

Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,182 Posts
A lot of owners just rip those heat shields off, without consequence.

More difficult than it sounds because (Murphy's Law) if there are 4 mounting points, two will be broken/rattling and the others will have seized/rusty hardware. :mad:

That said (and to address your question more specifically) you should go to an online dealer's parts listing for the '11 and '12, and compare part numbers. They MIGHT be the same...

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
Thanks for your reply, but I'm really after an anti-thief shield. Honda CR-Vs are currently #4 on the hit list for catalytic converter theft. Any recommendations?
Been discussed here in the forum a number of times. Some have created their own, some have applied after market shields.

Here is the thing though... since thieves are using a power saw to cut the CAT out, they will just saw out the shield as well. They can cut your CAT out and be gone in about one minute.. so a shield will slow them down, but it won't stop them. I know that is not the answer you want to hear, but it happens to be a pragmatic answer.

·
Registered
03 CRV
844 Posts
If you’re not finding a dedicated maker for your model year, try looking at the cat clamp or cat strap brands. You might have to call or email them to find the criteria needed for making it fit…. but their designs are more universal than most.

Another alternative is to find your local metal fabricator and have them make a custom one for you. I think you’ll find that many of the cat shield brands are currently small companies anyway.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts

I think getting rebar welded on would be best. The catclamp (3rd pic) is still cutable from seeing amazon reviews.
The pro-thieves all use fast cutting power saws for metal. They will just cut through rebar like butter.

It may stop the causal rookie thief looking for a few buck in salvage, but these will not stop determined thieves.

A piece of quarter inch tempered steel plate curve formed and then long seam welded to the frame would probably work, but it might also cause the CAT to overheat too.

Honestly, the best approach, and the most difficult, would be to relocate the CAT somewhere where thieves do not expect it to be. Same principle as Honda now locating the CATS well inside the locked engine compartment.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
630 Posts
Problem is there's only certain area that has room for the cat and a heat shield to go. There is already one cat up by the exhaust manifold and the second cat is further down. There is really no where else for the second cat to be hidden. So the idea of moving the cat doesn't really work here other than deleting it. I agree the rebar cage can be cut as well given enough time, but it is more of a deterrent for them to pick a different car instead.
For me I would just straight pipe it if it ever gets stolen since we dont need to pass emissions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts