Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have posted this problem in error in another section of this web site.. I apologize for duplicate if you seen this post again. IMG_2510.jpg 3_58.jpg 4_58.jpg
Need help if anyone has experienced 2012-2016 Honda CRV passenger site intermediate drive half shaft bearing oil/grease leak. Its leaking some kind of oil/grease? from bearing... and half shaft Assy. part # 44500-T0A-A00 was replaced under warranty 3 times. It still leaks after few months of use and Honda regional mechanic looked at it and couldn't identify the root cause of the problem. (No help there...) The vehicle still under power train warranty and I called dealer and they told me that they would probably replace the same part again and again. (I know that bearings usually have grease and it is not that liquidy like oil...) I highly suspect that same part cant be defective 3 times...
I carefully checked under the vehicle myself...everywhere is dry and there are no other evidences of any oil residue except under the bearing. If anyone can help what could be the cause of leak and how to fix it? I would greatly appreciate your input. See the latest picture of the leak and pictures of the shaft. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine CRV LX-AWD year 2014, has the same leakage like yours. Just brought to dealer today on June-13-2016. They just clean up the oil at the bearing and told me come back to check again in 1000 km.

I will update what happen

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is just the oil separating from the wax in the grease. Most likely the grease they used contains more oil than the wax can hold. Another thing to look at is an exhaust leak or excessive heat in the area. When grease is heated above its rating it will separate the oil from the wax.

·
Registered
374 Posts
FWIW, the diagnosis is correct. I noticed the same problem on an '09 Accord early on. The IMS was replaced, and the issue didn't recur. (Actually, what I remember most was how quickly the job was done; in under two hours.) In my conversation with the tech, he said the problem wasn't common but that most owners don't notice the leak unless they park in the same place in a garage. If it goes unnoticed, the "solution" is typically just to wipe off the dripping oil and send the owner on his way. If the bearing fails at some point, that's when the repair is done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But same problem for 3 times...in 5-7k miles intervals...? I don't believe that same part is defective all 3 times... that was replaced, to much coincident. I think somehow it leaks from inside and oil transfers\flows to shaft bearing... mixes with grease and starts leaking...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The driveshafts are solid and there is no fluid going from the transmission to bearing. The bearing is a sealed bearing that is filled with grease when manufactured. There is no reservoir or system to fill this grease. It is suppose to last the lifetime of the bearing. What you are seeing is just the excess oil coming from a new bearing. Just wipe it clean and it will eventually go away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello dave08902.

I think I may have found the root cause of the oil leak per your assumptions. It is the "guilty" heat... the exhaust is very close to that bearing and it "overheats" the area and makes the liquid oil separate from grease and leak out. I did an experiment and used heat gun and heated the area well and it already was a very hot day last week and noticed that same area oils is wetting the seal and comes out. What kind of car design is this? Reilly... Honda produced this kind of flimsy design and uses "approved" part that does not hold required temperature??? This leaks happens only passenger side and not the other side... place where the exhaust is.
I'm pissed... why my car?... why 3 times the same problem?.. What's going to happen to this bearing if it looses all oil from wax and eventually make the bearing dry???? How about the lubrication... what a nightmare....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello dave08902.

I think I may have found the root cause of the oil leak per your assumptions. It is the "guilty" heat... the exhaust is very close to that bearing and it "overheats" the area and makes the liquid oil separate from grease and leak out. I did an experiment and used heat gun and heated the area well and it already was a very hot day last week and noticed that same area oils is wetting the seal and comes out. What kind of car design is this? Reilly... Honda produced this kind of flimsy design and uses "approved" part that does not hold required temperature??? This leaks happens only passenger side and not the other side... place where the exhaust is.
I'm pissed... why my car?... why 3 times the same problem?.. What's going to happen to this bearing if it looses all oil from wax and eventually make the bearing dry???? How about the lubrication... what a nightmare....
Hi,

I have the same problem that I found yesterday. I was planning to go to the dealer to have them checked out. But after reading your post, decided to wipe it off and see what happens in 3000 miles. Thanks for doing the experiment with the heat gun. It saved me a headache with the safety concern. Attaching my pictures.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts