Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2012 i-MID display visible to rear seat passengers?

2945 9
I would like to know if the song & title (when set to XM radio) on the i-MID display are easily visible to passengers in the rear seat. This is exceedingly "important" to my young teen daughters! Any insight is greatly appreciated.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did test drive the last CR-V on the dealers lot yesterday, but it was a base model so there was no XM radio. As it was, the girls were freaking out because they couldn't tell what time it was, but I can fix that. The artist/song title is a different matter. If anyone can tell me, that would be great!

P.S. We spend A LOT of time driving in the car - typically a 40 minute commute each way - so these little things end up making a big difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't sit in the back seat when I drive, and the vehicle is still new (400 miles) but I know when I hit audio for example and play the iPod it shows the songs on the Navigation screen (which can be seen from the back seat). I have not tried it with XM yet but if I remember tomorrow I'll try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
FYI, I just went in the garage. You can see it unless of course they are very short (maybe around 5 feet). You can also have the information display on the Nav screen (you hit the audio button to the left of the display and then there is a downward arrow on the upper right hand side of the screen itself) and that can easily be seen no matter what the height of the back seat passenger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Phil A. Since I can use mapquest on my smartphone, I was considering the rear entertainment system instead of the navigation system. Now, I might need to rethink that, especially because I'm not sure how comfortable it will be to view the movie screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am actually curious as to what the entertainment system looks like (I have to go back on Friday for the paint protection and door edge guards and I might ask if they have one I can look at while I wait). Not that I would buy it (it is just me). My 2003 Acura MDX had one (it got used twice and not by me in 4 years). I did like having a DVD player in the dash since I'm an audiophile and have some DVD discs that have higher resolution that standard discs. However, with what is available today in computers and entertainment hardware, I'm not sure how viable it is unless you are going to use it lots. For music, I can hook a USB drive up. With the iPod (I have the Classic with a big hard drive), it pulls up the information (i.e. artists, albums) on the Nav screen so you can select it. Portable DVD players are cheap (under $100 in many cases) and have audio output jacks that you can put into the auxiliary input inside the center console and get the audio on the CR-V system. The center console on the 2012 is bigger and it probably can be used to place a portable DVD player on. Plus, you can hide it easily and move it in the house or in a hotel room if you are on vacation. While it is of course my personal opinion, I think except for people with smaller kids who will use it often, an in car DVD entertainment system is a huge waste.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.