Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 EX-L 2WD no nav and contemplating a 2012 same trim. I was wondering from you new owners if any of you had a 3rd gen CR-V an can tell us about performance and any other comparisons. For example, the 3rd gen has a tendency to idle rough when in gear and with the AC on. The off the line performance is somewhat weak. I actually noticed a slight improvement using premium fuel but it could be psychological. The 2012 claims better gas mileage. Do they run the engine leaner which would further reduce some performance? How is the idle in drive with the AC on? Any smoother?

I noticed the center console now meets the dash. Not sure I like this or not. 3rd gen gave a little feeling of openness in that area. I do like the back up camera and blue tooth as standard. What else can you compare as pros and cons. What would be a good price difference to upgrade to a 2012? The 2011 has about 12K miles on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered a 2012, never owned one before, but I looked at 2011's and IMO as far as interior comfort and technology 2012 is in another league. My wife had a forester comin off lease, she loved it. So I thought we could get a great deal on a 2011. She wanted nothing to do with it, wanted a new subaru, so we looked at the 2012's and got one. Never drove a 2011 so I can't compare that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 AWD EXL yesterday. Love it so far, but it's only got 50 miles on it.

It is lacking a couple things I wouldn't mind having. There is no tiptronic (like our other car, a Mazda 3) or paddles (like the new Subaru Legacy's) for choosing your own shift points, and it doesn't have blind spot detectors like a lot of newer cars (e.g. my brother's Mazda 6). The driver's side mirror does have a bubble area on the outer edge to help show the blind spot, but the passenger side is just a standard mirror.

The backup camera is terrific, especially since the new roomier rear kind of blocks your vision a bit when backing up.

Fit and finish are unbelievable. Even the big rear door just gently snicks close with just a touch.

My wife is psyched she can use Pandora radio from her iPhone with it.

FYI, they had a couple black/black models on Thursday when I went to check them out. They were gone when we got there at 9 on Saturday. By the time I left with my new ride at 1:30, all 5 CR-V's they had on the lot were sold. They had to prep mine since it needed the fuses put in and the plastic removed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Test Drove the 2012 and the 2011 back to back--- and with the huge savings the dealer was willing to give on the 2011---we still walked away thinking we will hold out for a 2012. The 2012 is better all around---one notable difference was the awd--we tried both the 2012 and 2011 on an icy parking area and the the 2012 was instant AWD where as the 2011 had quite the delay in switching to AWD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to stop into my local dealer and get a first hand look at the 2012 EX-L. I am not convinced it is worth it for me to trade my 2011. The engine is essentially the same. They get that extra 5 hp at a higher RPM. The increased fuel economy is achieved by pressing an 'Econo" button, which I presume will negatively affect performance. The storage space with the back seats down is 2 cuft less. I do like the way the rear seats fold allowing the backs of the seats to be physically lower when folded down. But, it is now a 2 step process, you have to lift and articulate the seating section and then release and lower the back rest section. I think I will just keep my 2011 unless I missed something major. I do like the bluetooth and rear camera without the navigation, but, I am just not feeling it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda has definitely made significant improvements in the 2012 CRV. We traded in our 2008 which doesn't even come close. Seats are definitely more comfortable and the leather is a much better grade. Ride has improved dramatically in both comfort and noise level. The 2012 no longer reminds you of a truck when driving it. Rear seat fold down system in the 2012 is a 1 button process, both from the back seat and the cargo area and provides much greater load height. Audio system is MUCH improved; back-up camera and bluetooth integration is a major pluse. Front console arrangement offers more "usable" storage. Very happy with the 2012! :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I decided to stop into my local dealer and get a first hand look at the 2012 EX-L. I am not convinced it is worth it for me to trade my 2011. The engine is essentially the same. They get that extra 5 hp at a higher RPM. The increased fuel economy is achieved by pressing an 'Econo" button, which I presume will negatively affect performance. The storage space with the back seats down is 2 cuft less. I do like the way the rear seats fold allowing the backs of the seats to be physically lower when folded down. But, it is now a 2 step process, you have to lift and articulate the seating section and then release and lower the back rest section. I think I will just keep my 2011 unless I missed something major. I do like the bluetooth and rear camera without the navigation, but, I am just not feeling it.
First trading in a one year old car just to get the latest features on the newer model is not financialy advisable no matter what they did to it. Secondly I'm not sure, but the new mpg numbers are not necessarily achieved only by econ button. as far as performance, I only test drove the car, (mine hasn't come in yet) so I don't have an extended driving impression, but I didn't see any negative affects with econ engaged. It is a 4 cylinder crossover, Not a sports car, so performance is just fine for what it is. And as for the folding seats, you just pull a lever and its done, 1 step.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '07 was much more "all new" than this "all new" '12! Honda still fails to deliver a great CRV to keep people buying Acura RDXs. I own both...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep...that's the basic idea but other makers are not so hellbent to keep their working man division offerings so decontented...

HID headlights, backup cameras, 4 wheel disc brakes, good high performance engines...all things that Honda will absolutely not put into Hondas so that they can continue to up sell you into Acuras. I guess it's a miracle that all levels of CR-Vs now have backup cameras...!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep...that's the basic idea but other makers are not so hellbent to keep their working man division offerings so decontented...

HID headlights, backup cameras, 4 wheel disc brakes, good high performance engines...all things that Honda will absolutely not put into Hondas so that they can continue to up sell you into Acuras. I guess it's a miracle that all levels of CR-Vs now have backup cameras...!

Don't you just hate those drum brakes on the CR-V!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah...I had to step up to an Acura RDX to get a real AWD system, backup camera and the HP of a Toyota RAV V6...the things I have to do...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to pony up to a Civic EX for my daughter to get rear disc brakes and there is still NO way to get disc rear brakes on a Honda Fit and VSA was not standard until last year. In the meantime, a lowly VW Jetta has had all these features standard since 1994...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to pony up to a Civic EX for my daughter to get rear disc brakes and there is still NO way to get disc rear brakes on a Honda Fit and VSA was not standard until last year. In the meantime, a lowly VW Jetta has had all these features standard since 1994...
Fun Game.

You would have to pony up to a $23,495 Jetta GLi for your daughter to get an independent rear suspension that's standard on a $15K Civic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any more 2012 CR-V buyers out there that owned a third gen that have comparison comments?

·
Registered
35 Posts
What Horrocks said above ...........

·
Registered
844 Posts
My '07 was much more "all new" than this "all new" '12! Honda still fails to deliver a great CRV to keep people buying Acura RDXs. I own both...
The '13 RDX will have Honda's 3.5-liter V6 with 273 HP.No more turbo.No more premium gas.Poor MPGs.
I would have bought one if the 6 cyl was available in the '11 model.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-acura-rdx-detroit-2012-photos/#photo-4730956/

Sat in a '12 CR-V EX-L w/NAV at the dealership today.
I have to say the interior is much nicer.
I was very surprised to see Glacier Blue dropped for the '12 models.I think it was the best selling color or seems so anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts