Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side seatbelt tensioner is barely working so the belt does not rewind by itself.
The Honda dealer says that this one cannot be lubricated and must be replaced at a cost of $612.00+ taxes.
Anyone knows of an alternate solution? Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
The first thing to try is to clean the 'stirrup' on the shoulder belt. Get some rubbing alcohol, a cloth rag, and an old credit card. Saturate the cloth with the alcohol, cover the card with it, and force it into the stirrup (on both the top & bottom) until it no longer comes out dirty.

Next, clean the surface of the belt webbing with the alcohol soaked cloth.

If it doesn't slide nicely after that, some folks have had success by rubbing the inside of the belt with Ivory Soap. Not too much, you don't want it to get on any clothing.

+++++++++++

If this 'maintenance' doesn't work, you may need to call Honda customer service to see what they can do. I found this information on the Web:

U.S. Models
Honda provides a lifetime warranty on seat belts. Honda will repair or replace any seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. Please see your Honda Warranty Information booklet for details
Source:

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,191 Posts
My driver's side seatbelt tensioner is barely working so the belt does not rewind by itself.
The Honda dealer says that this one cannot be lubricated and must be replaced at a cost of $612.00+ taxes.
If you remove the seatbelt assembly, there are companys who can repair and in your case recondition the assembly for under $100, a new oem assembly goes for about $300.
If it's something you might consider give them a call to discuss your situation and ask if they have instructions for removing the assembly. I believe you can also find some youtube vid on replacing the seatbelt

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
This is a primary indicator that your seat belt is dirty. Simple solution: wash it. There are many YouTube videos on this, but, basically, you need a bucket of hot soapy water (dish soap is great) and some clean dish towels or rags. Set the bucket in the seat, pull the belt all the way out, move the buckle to the end, and submerge the belt (only) in the bucket. Let it soak for an hour or two, then scrub it well. Hand wash the parts that can't go into the bucket. You'll know how well it's working by how dirty the water is. Then, wipe the belt down, change out the water for clean hot water, soak the belt in that to remove any soap residue, wipe down thoroughly, and blow dry with a hair dryer or just let it dry. Repeat if necessary. Seat belts can get very dirty and very stiff, just like a pair of jeans that haven't been washed in years and are worn daily.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I found another online Honda Warranty Manual for a 2012 CRV that states the belts are covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles

Time Period This warranty’s coverage begins on the same date as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (see page 9), and continues for 15 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Warranty Coverage Honda will, at its option, repair or replace any Honda seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. This includes all parts and labor charges

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Did you not get a set of documents when you bought your car, that included a small warranty booklet?
What does it say? And what does Canadian law say about seat belt warranties?

I found the US Warranty booklet online, which says this about US seat belts:

Time Period
This warranty continues for the useful life of the vehicle.
Warranty Coverage
Honda will repair or replace, at its option, any Honda seat belt component that fails to function properly during normal use. This includes all parts and labor charges.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did you not get a set of documents when you bought your car, that included a small warranty booklet?
What does it say? And what does Canadian law say about seat belt warranties?

I found the US Warranty booklet online, which says this about US seat belts:
Racoon….things are a little slow here in Canada today so I thought I would grab my manuals for my 2012 CDN CRV and here is my findings:

- In the Owners manual under warranty coverage for USA Owners it says belts are covered by a Limited Warranty and to read your warranty book for details. For CDN owners it only says to refer to your Warranty Manual.

- In the Warranty Manual that I have which appears to be only for CDN vehicles it states that the seatbelts fall under the Power Train List and are covered for 5 years or 100,000kms

Going online for a USA 2012 CRV Warranty Guide on page 27 it states 15 years or 150,000 miles. I guess the safety rules in the USA are better than ours.

Telmec should probably check the Warranty Guide that came with their vehicle assuming they have one.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
There's a key word in that warranty phrase that gives them their loophole and renders it worthless. The word is "normal." If your seat belt gets so dirty it doesn't work properly, and you haven't cleaned it, which would be considered reasonable maintenance, then you have voided the warranty. You can take my word for it, or you can go try at any dealer. Please report back with results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do some research, I believe the safety system used to have a lifetime warranty. Years ago I had one replace at no charge.
But big companies are in our lawmakers pockets, so there’s a chance this could of changed.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
There are many YouTube videos on this, but, basically, you need a bucket of hot soapy water (dish soap is great) ....
I just cleaned the driver's seat belt on my 07 Accord using that technique; what a difference! Now I don't have to stuff it in the shoulder loop thing anymore. It actually rewinds on it's own, with little encouragement from me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts