Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 slow oil leak

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tconn308 
#1 ·
Hi, we purchased a 2012 CRV EXL with 85,000miles on it. I noticed an oil spot while in the garage so I took it outside and put cardboard under it and in the same area another drip,
Has anyone notice this?? I hate oil leaks, any suggestions or has anyone else noticed this??

#4 · (Edited)
Could be from a lot of places. Most common is the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket. You just need to clean things up really well and get under there and in there and look really closely using a good light. Be careful not to spray what shouldn’t be sprayed. I’d go into a self wash bay and use a can of brake cleaner to clean where the valve cover meets the block and around the oil pan as well as anywhere else you can see oil.

If you’re not planning on fixing it yourself then after you clean it up take it to a mechanic.

you can also start using high mileage oil to condition the seals. That may help keep the crankshaft main seals and valve stem seals in better condition.

#8 ·
So I put it on ramps, cleaned it up, changed the oil, took it for a ride and I suspect the seal for the front wheel drive, yet I do not think that, that is part of the engine oil would think more like the trans but it is defiantly in that area, any thought from some Honda Mechanics out there? I looked in recalls and cannot find one.

#10 ·
For reference, I had my 2013 AWD drive shaft seal replaced at 75,000 miles on the odometer on the driver side in December. Passenger side seal was still good and Honda didn't recommend replacing it just yet. Did it have any smell to it? If it's sweet and tangy, it's usually the transmission fluid. Color is also a giveaway to what fluid it is.

#9 · (Edited)
So you are saying it maybe one of the CV shaft seals? They don't last forever. And yes it would be transmission fluid from them.
Though it still could be coming from above and leaking down. There is dye that can be added to the engine oil and then use a black light and yellow tinted glasses to see it fluoresce, and make it easy to spot where it comes from and if for sure it is engine oil or not. That is how a shop would do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.