Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 144,000 on my 2012 EX-L and the valves are getting louder. Does anyone have instructions on how to adjust the valves? I couldn't find anything in the forums. Thanks

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Unless you very mechanically inclined and have some decent skills inside an engine (not just changing brakes, a sensor or oil) I would strong advise against trying to do it yourself. Reason is a mistake can cost you your engine and you have 16 chances to make one.

That said the process to do them is no different than ANY OTHER HONDA ENGINE except the engine needs to be somewhat warm. Not at running temp but not having say over night cold either.

The specs are on the sticker under your hood.

You need to do some research and such before attempting to do it because though for some it seems easy, there is no coming back from most mistakes that can be made.

Don't look at some basic Google link, use Google search and do research and learn the details of valve lash adjustment. Make sure you have the proper tools and so on. Seeing as it's your first time dealing with valve lash expect to spend a good few hours so you can check, double check and recheck your work to make sure everything was done correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
8,178 Posts
Yeah, measure twice, adjust once, measure again.

I really don't think valve adjustment is that difficult. And if it is your first time, yeah it takes several hours. When we had the Fit I helped several owners 'practice'.

PS: if your valvetrain is noisy now, you will hate it when they are properly adjusted. Valves usually tighten (especially the exhausts), and they are quiet when tight! :uhoh3:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I was under the impression that a valve lash adj was supposed to be done on a cold engine, not luke-warm or warm.
Anyone?
Buffalo4
PS: I don't mean below 0F cold. :eek:

·
Everything in Moderation
8,178 Posts
My understanding is 'room temperature'. I suppose that definition differs for Alaskan owners.:eek:

Just looked it up, Shop manual says "Adjust valves only when the cylinder head temperature is less than 100F." (38C) Page 6.9 in the '06 manual.

My rule of thumb is, hold that thumb on the cylinder head/valvetrain after removing the valve cover. If it hurts or burns, wait a bit... :applause:

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
414 Posts
coolant temperature under 100f ,you can also loosen spark plugs 1 turn and turn the engine with a 17mm i think wrench on the PS pump and adjust the valves that are on the flats of the cam 180 degrees of the lobe and mark it on paper exhaust in back and intake in front and 16 marks and cross them out when adjusted ,thats how i learned to do it on my solid lifter 350 Chevy .028 every couple months 25 yeas ago ,make sure you dont get mm and thousandths mixed up i did that once it was very noisy had to redo it stupid mistake on my part

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My understanding is 'room temperature'. I suppose that definition differs for Alaskan owners.:eek:

Just looked it up, Shop manual says "Adjust valves only when the cylinder head temperature is less than 100F." (38C) Page 6.9 in the '06 manual.

My rule of thumb is, hold that thumb on the cylinder head/valvetrain after removing the valve cover. If it hurts or burns, wait a bit... :applause:
OK, thanks for that spec. Less than 100F cylinder head temp.
I suppose in Florida or California that 'might' be cold. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dave for the link. Tigris I agree it would be risky to attempt but I had a '99 Accord and taught myself how to do the valves with help of youtube and honda service manual. Just not sure about how to turn the engine.

Unlike the Accord, very cramped space on right by timing chain and there's no power steering pump. I think the crankshaft is on the right as well. Hope I don't have remove plastic fender lining to get to the crank. Are you all sure that engine needs to be warm or less than 100F on a 2012?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,178 Posts
That temp provides a consistent reference temperature for the accuracy of the specs. It is typical for all Honda engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can the valves be adjusted if the engine is left overnight and cold? The temp would definitely be under 100F?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,178 Posts
Yeah, that is what I do. (off overnight)

My typical working conditions are 55 - 80F.

With the radio BLASTING, LOL.

PS: Our past Hondas have all incorporated a hole in the splash shield for access to the engine's crankshaft 19mm nut. Just turn the wheel away from the shield when parking, to do the job.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
414 Posts
should be the same for all of the k24 but check the sticker under the hood to verify valve clearance specifications are .012"EXH. and .009"INT. cold engine, under 100F head temperature, if you are using a mm feeler gauge use the metric specs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
should be the same for all of the k24 but check the sticker under the hood to verify valve clearance specifications are .012"EXH. and .009"INT. cold engine, under 100F head temperature, if you are using a mm feeler gauge use the metric specs.
Per my Honda Dealership the following is for my 2012 Honda CRV 2.4L:

Valve Clearance - 2012Honda CRV

Intake: 0.21 - 0.25 mm (0.009 - 0.009 in)

Exhaust:0.25 - 0.29 mm (0.010 - 0.011 in)

I had to give them my VIN number in order to get the clearances!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts