Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda.

I have a 2013 CRV bought in 2014. 30500 miles. The car is pristine and all services have been completed to date. There is no heat on the driver side of the car. I have a feeling that most 2013 and all 2014 CRVs no matter what package will at some point suffer from this. The heater core gets clogged up with something. Honda is aware of the issue as far back as 2014 when they issued a Service Bulletin and ordered Heater core flush kits and pumps to be delivered to every Honda Dealership in the country. (That is a lot and a sure sign that Honda was/is preparing for this to be a major problem). So I take the CRV to the local Honda dealership for a free diagnostic to determine the problem. I explain to the service rep. that there is a SB out for this problem and that the heater core is clogged. (Factory coolant by the way). He told me that he never heard of such a thing and that it was probably a failed actuator for a blending valve in the heater box. Ok, I said, let me know as soon as you complete your diagnosis. I wait till 2 pm the next day and stop by while I am driving home. Vehicle was diagnosed earlier in the day and no call. Service Mgr told me the heater core was clogged. I said, ok well flush the thing out. It takes very little labor and lets just do it so my wife and kids have heat. He told me that is not possible because the heater core flush kit has a burnt out pump. He said that the flush is a temporary fix and the heater core should be replaced. Really ? A car that has been in service with 30k on it needs a $1500 heater core job because of a factory design flaw ?
And to make it even worse, the temps here are in the teens at night and high 20's low 30's during the day rendering the vehicle useless.
I have a feeling that there will be a recall and a class action lawsuit in the near future. This is an epic fail and the best action that Honda could take would be to disperse several flush kits to each dealer because there are 10's of thousands of CRVs that will be needing this service in the near future. And for those who live in the south and don't use your heat in your CRV. You might want to at least check it. There should be no change in temp from your passenger side to your driver side vents.
PS. There is no way I am dropping $1500 for this to be fixed. Not going to happen. Honda, you need to make this right and it needs to be done quickly. Your reputation is on the line, and we will be working on some youtube videos of this issue in the near future. I hope the videos not only shine the light on the problem but also promotes Honda as a company that wants to take care of their patrons. Anyone with any questions please feel free to message me. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a 2014 CR-V same issue. But when dealer tried to flush they couldn't and started taking the car apart. After four days they said they couldn't find out what was wrong and would replace the heater core for free (just outside of the 3 year warranty). But we have a mechanic non-Honda who said that something is clogging the heater core and most likely is metal pieces from the engine going into the heater core. We traded it in and bought a 2017 CR-V 1.5 liter turbo. NOW find out that they are stalling and have been recalled in China but not the US. Honda is supposed to have a fix in mid-November 2018 but won't indicate what the problem might be. Two CR-V's (nearly $30,000 for each) and in only a 4 year period!! Swore by Honda to this point, but am now wondering what the heck is going on at Honda. Trust in the name is failing and that is sad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pump from Harbor freight, 2 fittings from Home Depot screwed into pump with Teflon tape, pliers to clamp off hoses to avoid draining system, hose pliers to prevent damaging hoses when removing from firewall, 5/8 heater hose of various lengths,4 hose clamps. I didn't use a filter screen on the pump outlet as the honda kit has. there wasn't any particles in the bucket when I poured it out. follow the service bulletin except use twice the amount (Large bottle of CLR and 2 gallons of water) Pump gets hot because it is not designed to recirculate. Run 2 hrs normal flow and 1 hr reverse (twice the time of the service bulletin). Flush out core when through cleaning with several buckets of clean water. Search on honda.oemdtc.com for crv low heat from drivers side vent

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,649 Posts
honda.oemdtc.com and then search for crv low heat from drivers side vent,
Clogging coolant system could easily be due to someone adding the wrong type of coolant into the system. HOAT and OAT coolants if mixed create clogs.

Stick with Honda only coolant!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pump from Harbor freight, 2 fittings from Home Depot screwed into pump with Teflon tape, pliers to clamp off hoses to avoid draining system, hose pliers to prevent damaging hoses when removing from firewall, 5/8 heater hose of various lengths,4 hose clamps. I didn't use a filter screen on the pump outlet as the honda kit has. there wasn't any particles in the bucket when I poured it out. follow the service bulletin except use twice the amount (Large bottle of CLR and 2 gallons of water) Pump gets hot because it is not designed to recirculate. Run 2 hrs normal flow and 1 hr reverse (twice the time of the service bulletin). Flush out core when through cleaning with several buckets of clean water. Search on honda.oemdtc.com for crv low heat from drivers side vent
So how were the results for you? Did the heat return on the drivers side. I did this procedure today with radiator cleaner circulating for only ten minutes, no success in restoring heat. Will do a second attempt with the CLR and water pump as described in service bulletin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts