Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Forum. If I make a mistake, please forgive me.

Recently bought certified pre-owned. I am looking to buy Michelin P225/65R17 Xice X2 winter tires, with steel Rims. Trying to get best quotes from differnet vendor before I get it done. Questions:
(1) Is this tire brand (Michelin) proven compatible / recommended for the vehicle.
(2) One vendor quoted me the tire price, but said since "your vehicle is AWD, you need to get special RIMs from the Honda (OEM), for correct fitment" - I know enough about cars - Is this true? I thought the AWD should not make any difference between a FWD, RWD, or AWD.

·
Registered
776 Posts
There is no such thing as special rims - lots of folks have after market wheels and not all are the OEM size. As for tires, you can search the Forum and everyone has a favorite depending on lots of variables. Personally, I'd find another dealer. Craig

·
Registered
137 Posts
The best places to try to find a Winter package (tires and wheels) that fits your CRV well are TireRack and Discount Tire online. If you buy one of the package from these places, you just mount them on your car when the package arrives. But, you may want to ask them about TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) and how to reset your CRV's ECU to accept the new TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can get any after market RIMS, as long as the bolt pattern, size , etc. fits ? What do I do about the TPMS? Do I need to tell the vendor I buy the wheels from , that my car has TPMS ? My car currently has TPMS on the summer tires - How do I make my new winters work with the TPMS ? If I don't really care about the TPMS system , can I simply ignore it and get my winter wheels going, assuming that when I put back the OEM summer wheels, the TPMS will automatically come back the way I bought the SUV ?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Exactly !! I bot '15 OEM rims on CL brand new and they no longer have the wheel-mounted sensors for the TPMS system. I will also not replace the '13 sensors when the batteries die - the light is something you don't even see after a short while. When I put the OEM wheels back on for Summers, I fully expect the sensors to work until the batteries give out !! I can manually check my own tire pressures, thank you. Good luck. Craig

·
Super Moderator
3,193 Posts
You are getting good advice here about sources of rims and tires.
You can even if you prefer simply swap between summer and winter tires using your existing rims.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What they said is true. Find another dealer.

The only difference with AWD systems is that you should try your best to replace all four tires at the same time, because sensors bank on the spin difference.

Other than that, i suggest you get oem wheels from ebay and put tires on em. This way you can just change wheels in the summertime with basic tools like a jack and a tire wrench. No more having to unmount and remount the tires into your steel rims.

However, might i suggest you put the winter tires on your steelies and put the summer tires on your alloy wheels.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Where in the world do you live that you need winter tires with AWD? I live in snowy mountains and I have never found it necessary to go with anything other than all weather tires in the winter. I've never used snow tires on a AWD or FWD vehicle and I have never needed them. Back in the "good old days" before radial tires were common, I used snow tires on RWD vehicles but that was before the late 70s.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Where in the world do you live that you need winter tires with AWD? I live in snowy mountains and I have never found it necessary to go with anything other than all weather tires in the winter. I've never used snow tires on a AWD or FWD vehicle and I have never needed them. Back in the "good old days" before radial tires were common, I used snow tires on RWD vehicles but that was before the late 70s.
I'm with Osborn - never had snow tires on any car and I suspect we get even more snow than what falls in VA !!! Wear sneakers every day as well just because........ Craig

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I'm with Osborn - never had snow tires on any car and I suspect we get even more snow than what falls in VA !!! Wear sneakers every day as well just because........ Craig
I wear black sneakers in the winter because they have a good all weather tread. I figure if I drove 40 years in snowy mountains and drove 40,000 miles per year working from my car in all kinds of weather, snow tires are overrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts