Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 CRV EXL with 63000 miles, purchased new in Jul 2013. The OEM battery was replaced at about 41 months, which according to this forum, is about normal. Replaced with an AutoZone 51rs, 500CCA (5yr Warranty), in Nov 2016. Now in Dec 2019, the battery is dead twice in two weeks, the first time from listening to the radio for 10 minutes in ACC mode. The second time after a 30 minute stop with no drain at all on battery. I live in SC, so frigid temperatures are not in play here.
I've seen posts here about an AC relay being bad causing parasitic drain, so I figured for $9 at NAPA, I'd give it a shot. Remove cover on engine compartment fuse box, and criminy, all greek. Can't figure out which is the AC relay. From the two pictures, can someone please identify the AC relay for me? Thanks a bunch in advance.
IMG_20191212_130649909_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191212_130709721_HDR.jpg

·
Everything in Moderation
7,903 Posts

Just kidding with the above.

I can't read the inner cover on your picture, but the best thing to do would be to obtain a voltmeter and measure current draw. Remove fuses one at a time and tell us which circuit is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If the charging system is operating properly (and the vehicle should throw a warning if it isn't)... then it sounds like there might be a damaged plate in the battery. It happens. Take it to a local auto parts store and generally they are happy to give the battery a full test and see what is up with it.

Note: you can verify the charging system using a volt meter with the vehicle running and in park. It should read ~14.5 vdc on the battery terminals. You also want to do have it checked for ripple (caused by a failed diode) too... and an auto parts store can do that, or you can do with a low cost simple battery testing unit. Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0ARG3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Also instead of paying for a relay which might be good, just swap the compressor relay #9 with relay #8 (fog lights). If the fog lights come on then the relay is stuck closed and is bad. Relays 8 & 9 are the same part number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Traylaw, exactly what I needed. 2nd time battery died, drove about 6 miles to Advanced Auto and battery tested good. Decided to clean terminals, applied Vaseline, and reconnected. No problems since but realized after a couple of days that Eco Boost was off from having disconnected battery leads. Another thread on this forum suggests that Eco Boost might be the culprit. We'll see.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you have automatic headlights and keep the headlight switch in 'auto' all the time? That light sensor is powered all the time when in 'auto' mode, even with the car turned off. If you don't drive it much and leave it in 'auto' mode, that could be the problem.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you have automatic headlights and keep the headlight switch in 'auto' all the time? That light sensor is powered all the time when in 'auto' mode, even with the car turned off. If you don't drive it much and leave it in 'auto' mode, that could be the problem.

that's kind of weird. i've left my headlights on auto mode since the day i brought mine home back during nov of 15. I didn't develop any battery issues until i went overseas for two months and my sister's bf used it to haul cases of tile and stuff, anyhow he left the trunk hatch slightly open and it left the light on to the point it drained the battery. My mom was cleaning it out at a car wash and left all four doors ajar to vacuum it out so when she tried to start it up to come home, dead battery. i've since replaced the battery just in case because it was an original still leave the headlights on auto too.

My opinion is that it's just a faulty battery. Now i work in a parts store and the majority of the batteries people bring in to be tested seem to be some kind of Valuecraft or or non Gold Duralast branded batteries.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2012 CRV that I purchased new and I had a battery drain issue also. Few years ago Honda sent me a TSB for a battery drain issue. There is a software update for this. Every since I got this update my battery has been fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two weeks now without Eco boost 'On' , normal use and no problems. Have about 1000 miles til oil change, will ask them about software upgrade and TSB. FYI, 1000 miles for me is two months. Thanks for input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts