Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a friends CR-V. CEL light on/flashing. #3 cylinder misfire.

Swapped plug and coild with another cylinder. Didn't change anything. Compression test showed 0 compression on #3 cylinder. Pulled the valve cover. Readjusted an intake valve on #3 and it ran fine. But a tad noisy. Pulled the cover again the next day. The valve was way too lose. Way more clearance than I had set it to. There are three lobes on the cam. On the other cylinders they all seem to drive independent rockers. On #3 it seems like the center and the right/rear are moving together. This leads me to think possibly they have seized to the shaft. Possibly causing the problems.

So who has seen this before? Any ideas? Anywhere I can find service information? Where can I buy a service manual? I was thinking I should pull the cam and rockers. But I would like to read/review the procedures before I start.

Thanks for any and all information you can provide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alldatadiy.com had the information I needed. Took it apart and found that the retainer for the piston parts in the rocker had failed. Got the parts from the local Honda dealer. Took it all apart. Installed the new intake rocker assembly on the #3 cylinder. Kind of a PIA. But I got it done.

Unfortunately I now have a cam sensor code. I'll pull it apart tomorrow to see if I got a cam out of time. This is getting to be a headache.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Good for you that you're trying to fix it.
I thought it was a headache when I first read the post a couple days ago but didn't want to say anything.

How many miles on this engine?
Has it had regular oil/filter changes?

Only reason I ask is we have a 2013 model too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not too bad to work on. Just a big change from the old chevy. ;) Today I popped the covers off, pulled the cam caps, and moved the intake cam one tooth. It seems to have cured the issue.

It isn't my car. So I can't say how the upkeep has been on oil changes. I suspect not a good record. It has 90k on the clock. I am going to suggest new timing chains.

I'll try to post a couple pictures later.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Dang that really sucks. Only 90K and having a huge problem like that. I wonder what caused this premature failure?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Yeah, these Honda's are a far cry from a SBC, that's for sure.

Coastie05 - I'd guess the less than stellar upkeep has been the main contributor to the failure. Neglect can only go so far before it raises its ugly head. 2013 w/90k on the clock already has seen some hard use I'd say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plunger got wedged in somewhere and prevented the rocker from moving properly. That held the valve open and gave me the zero compression reading. The zero compression reading gave me ulcers. ;)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Coastie05 - I'd guess the less than stellar upkeep has been the main contributor to the failure. Neglect can only go so far before it raises its ugly head. 2013 w/90k on the clock already has seen some hard use I'd say.
Yea I agree with you. My 2013 just turned over 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not entirely sure that lack of oil changes can cause a retaining clip to fail under the pressure of that spring. But thank you all for chiming in with such insightful and helpful advice. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts