Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry for my bad English in advance.

I had problems with the original alternator of my Cr-v , he wasn't charging the battery but provided current for the car.
So i bought a replacement Alt (Plus line is the manufacturer of the replacement).
The problem with the new ALT is that he charges the battery, but when i start the car again he isn't charging the battery and also he is not providing current for the car(when i remove the clamps from the battery the car goes off - the car is running from the current/voltage from the battery).
As soon as i put back the clamps on the battery and start the car the ALT is charging and providing current.
But again when i switch off the car and the start it, the ALT is once again not charging the battery and providing current for the car, the car is running again only on the battery.

In short, every time when i start the car i have to remove the clamps of the battery(to kill the car) and put it back, start the car so that the ALT can charge the battery and provide current for the car.

anyone similar issues?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,036 Posts
That seems like bad diodes in your new alternator, to me.

The bad diodes are providing a drain path for the current when the engine is off. I bet the waveform of the charge voltage is quite erratic.

If you want to diagnose, have both the alternator AND battery checked. One could be making the other fail.

(You may want to tell us the year of your CR-V)

good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest problem of all is that i dont have a Official Honda authorized servis in my country (Bosnia).

Its really strange that i have to remove the clamps everytime and put it back so the ALT can start to charge the battery.

is there some kind of "start current" that is needed to start the ALT....

The new ALT should be fine, because its a new one and not a refurbished one. My relatives send this one from Germany.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,036 Posts
Tsk tsk Carbuff2, you didn't read the title? But good advice. :)
You got me....once the title is past the upper horizon, I have to rely on my faulty memory! o_O :LOL:

++++++++++++++

Could @Bashoni 's issue be caused by a bad load detector?

The statement 'every time when i start the car i have to remove the clamps of the battery(to kill the car) and put it back, start the car so that the ALT can charge the battery and provide current for the car' makes me suspect that something like a relay or something in the electronics is 'setting' once the engine starts and won't return to a proper state until battery power is removed.

I'd try to remove fuses to see if any of them allow starting, that would narrow down which circuitry to investigate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have read about the ELD , could it have somthing to do with this, or maybe the battery sensor on the battery.. ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts