Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First of all, I know that this is a USA based site, and from what I can tell, you do not even have DAB over there, only Sat / XFm Radio. But hopefully you can help shine some light on my issue!

My wife just got her CR-V recently, over here in the UK the specification trims are slightly different (S, SE, SR, EX). We have FM radio and also DAB (Digital Radio). The SE which we bought doesn't have a DAB Receiver (But models like the SR and EX do).

All of the specs come with SharkFin antenna's, my main question is that we want to install a headunit with DAB on it (such as a Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB).

I understand it will need a DAB aerial, such as an aftermarket sharkfin/beesting/windscreen mount aerial. I have seen aerial splitters, but apparently these do not work with the amplified aerials (such as sharkfins).

My question is, if I do upgrade the headunit, could I purchase a sharkfin from a breakers yard from a model which does have DAB? or is the aerial the same? If it is the same, how is DAB working on the other models - is it inbuilt to the glass and the sharkfin is just FM?

Really struggling to find any concrete information.

As a last resort, I am thinking of removing the Honda Sharkfin, and replacing it with a similar looking one to the Honda one by a company called Calearo. It does GPS as well as DAB and FM - Do you all think it looks like a close match cosmetically? Problem is, whatever I do, I just know it is going to be a right pain installing it, pulling down headliners and wiring new cables in etc!

I have seen a thread on here about replacing the antenna, looks to be relatively straight forward - but does anyone have any suggestion of the best (well...easiest!) way to route the new cables back to behind the head unit?

Oh, and as you probably noticed, this is my first post... Hello :) :) :)

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Managed to get an answer on the sharkfin on another forum just now. Apparently the DAB antenna on the other models is on the glass.

I guess a new Sharkfin would be my best bet. Given that the Calearo one I found isn't an exact match, and based upon the dimensions listed for it. Could I perhaps "hollow out" my honda one to use as a cover for it?

Any links on getting new wires back to the headunit would be much appreciated! Struggling to find any good photo guides.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts