Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. Just got my CR-V 2013 and I noticed something weird: I was going uphill and need to stop because of traffic. I then applied parking brake (full force) while in neutral but for some weird reason, the car was still slipping backwards. Is there something wrong with the car's parking brake? Or is it normal for AT SUV's? I hope I get a definite answer before I bring the car back to casa. By the way, the parking brake is foot operated as opposed to hand brake Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The parking brake is just that, it should not slip back or forward on a hill or otherwise. They obviously missed checking the parking brake before delivery and again after assembly. Makes you wonder what they checked if they did not check that eh. Anyway take it in and ask them to do the pre-delivery over again, after all, you paid for it. The foot operated brake is a superior ergonomic design when compared to a hand brake when used specifically for a parking or emergency brake in my opinion, because the leg is stronger than the arm in general. Having said all that, there is a possibility that the parking brake shoes (they are shoes not discs) may not be seated yet, but I don't know how or why you should be expected to break them in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fixer. I actually spoke to one technician and he said that the car can slip if it's too steep because of the car's weight and gravity. He said I should set the transmission to Park so it won't slip.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Have you ever been to Sanfransisco? They can adjust a parking brake to hold a car where some people would fall if they stepped out of it.
Your tech is right, which you have living proof of, when it's not properly adjusted or set. I've seen slomo film of a car being hit in the front while parked with the parking brake on and front wheel drive in park, and you can see where the rear wheels stayed locked up the entire time the car moved backward from the impact. The only way a car with properly adjusted parking brake is moving from a stand still is with the tires slipping. When a car is moving at speed you can lock up the rear wheels to cause the rear to slide out for a stunt, and that with a hand brake.
You may be better served to leave the selector in D instead of N since there would be some resistance to rolling back at the front wheels too. You need not worry at all about wearing out the tran clutch, it is designed to do that.
Dare I ask why you would not just use the service brake to hold with an auto tran?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's probably bad, our V stays on a very steep driveway with the parking brake on (before putting it on P) and it just moves a bit once you take your foot of the normal brake (all cars do that), than it just stays put until I put it on P

·
Registered
19 Posts
I may be missing something here, but the new CR-Vs have a brake/hill assist. When you're on a hill, the car's brake is automatically applied to prevent you from rolling backwards until you hit the accelerator to move forward. If you car isn't doing that, then that may be your real problem, not the parking break. BTW, unless your parking break pedal feels spongy when applied fully, I think it's highly improbable there's a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your not missing anything! Nice catch. However, if he places the car in N, the hill assist braking may be deleted. Do you know if the brake lights come on too when hill assist braking is active?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live on the crest of a hill, so when I back out of the driveway I'm on a slight incline. I can sense the braking action, but I've never noticed the brake light to come on, nor do I think it's supposed to. Tomorrow I'll see what happens when I shift it to neutral.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The hill assist only runs for a few seconds, than it just lets go.

I think his parking brake has an issue, eithar the pedal or the brake itself. I just tried putting the CR-V on N and it goes down when taking the foot out of the brake pedal. When I put the parking brake, it stays nice and stopped for over the 10 seconds I tried that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also confirmed that my hill assist doesn't work in neutral. Also, I haven't timed how long it stays engaged, but I'm sure it's for a short time since the objective is to only allow enough time to move between the brake and gas pedal. However, I'm still skeptical about a defective parking brake (of course, anything is possible). I'm confused why he applied the parking brake in the first place and not just keep his foot on the brake pedal. Was the hill so steep that he thought it was more comfortable to use the parking brake? If so, then maybe that was a really steep hill! If there's a problem with the parking brake, I'd think you'd certainly feel it in the pedal when applying it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
probably just a very steep hill. I did that just to test the parking brake if it does work, and see how effective it is in case of emergency.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just took my V for oil/fltr change & rotate/bal tires (Appletree Honda, Asheville, NC). One Svc Advisor tried to tell me the Parking Brake was designed that way (to slip back on uphill parking). There is NOTHING in the Owners Manual to prove this, so IMO it's BS. The Parking Brake is just that......should NOT drift backwards. But mine does.

Will

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just took my V for oil/fltr change & rotate/bal tires (Appletree Honda, Asheville, NC). One Svc Advisor tried to tell me the Parking Brake was designed that way (to slip back on uphill parking). There is NOTHING in the Owners Manual to prove this, so IMO it's BS. The Parking Brake is just that......should NOT drift backwards. But mine does.

Will
I wonder if the "parking" brake is the same design as a handle version. The handle version is the higher and tighter that you pull it up, the more pressure is applied to the rear parking drum.

What do you men slip back? The CRV parking brake is only suppose to move about a millimeter before it catches the car. It is not like the old parking brake system that I am use to that stops the vehicle as soon as you pull up on the hand brake. If the CRV is rolling backwards find a steep hill with no cars and see if the CRV can be held on a incline or it keeps moving. If it keeps moving and doesn't stop then you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

I don't know if it is like the old hand brake system in which you pull up and release a few times to tighten and adjust the hand brake. See if you can self adjust and hold the CRV.

Did you try pushing it down all the way and seeing if it holds the CRV? How far are you pushing down the "parking" brake. By the way I do have a incline drive way and I can tell you that the parking brake DOES hold my CRV. I do not have a steep hill to test it on but I can go downtown and around Brown University they have tons of steep hills to test.

Hill assist does NOT work in neutral. To test your "parking" brake, stop in the middle of the steep hill apply parking brake fully and then switch over to neutral. It should roll a millimeter then instantly catch the CRV to stop it.

Also people should probably read this:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.41

Hydraulic-braked vehicles manufactured on or after September 2, 1983. Each truck and bus (other than a school bus) with a GVWR of 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) or less which is subject to this part and school buses with a GVWR greater than 4,536 kg (10,000 pounds) shall be equipped with a parking brake system as required by FMVSS No. 571.105 (S5.2) in effect at the time of manufacture. The parking brake shall be capable of holding the vehicle or combination of vehicles stationary under any condition of loading in which it is found on a public road (free of ice and snow). Hydraulic-braked vehicles which were not subject to the parking brake requirements of FMVSS No. 571.105 (S5.2) must be equipped with a parking brake system that meets the requirements of paragraph (c) of this section.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=571.105

Basically, it states that if your regular brake fails, your parking brake should be able to hold and stop the vehicle.

If anyone wonders why you should use your parking brake at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbsgpp2YJQ start at 15:20 -Yeah I am going to let some metal/plastic piece hold my car when I am in park.. Not good for the tranny!

So if your on a hill and your parking lever fails and your transmission goes into neutral and you roll down the hill and cause damage, all because your parking brake can not hold your vehicle.. Liability for car manufactures and yourself.

/end story

·
Registered
49 Posts
The parking brake does NOT hold on an uphill grade. The V keeps on drifting backwards until I apply the service (foot) brake. I push the Parking Brake all the way to the floor board (full throw) and it still does not hold (stop) the car. The only way to hold (stop) the car on an uphill grade, is to put the gear selector in Park or apply the Service (Foot) Brake. On a downhill slope the Parking Brake works fine. I am aware of the Hill Holder function, and it works fine.

Will

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Will
I think what he should have said was, that due to the design of the drum brake it will apply more friction when going forward than backward. This is because going forward the shoe gets pressed harder into the drum by leverage from design. Going backwards, the shoe tends to be pushed away from the drum. This would be more of an issue when trying to stop a moving wheel. It does not mean that it was (purposely) designed to slip, and it does not mean that it should fail to hold, forward or reverse, on a hill when stopped.

I still have a concern that you can push the pedal all the way to the floor. If properly adjusted, the car should hold before you reach the floor. Has the dealer not checked the adjustment???

And according to US Federal law; S5.2.2.1 The vehicle's parking brake and parking mechanism, when both are engaged, shall be capable of holding the vehicle stationary (to the limit of traction of the braked wheels) for 5 minutes, in both forward and reverse directions, on a 30 percent grade.

And; S5.2.3 (a) The parking brake system on a multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck or bus (other than a school bus) with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less shall be capable of holding the vehicle stationary for 5 minutes, in both forward and reverse directions, on a 20 percent grade.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think what he should have said was, that due to the design of the drum brake it will apply more friction when going forward than backward. ....
+1--they are Emergency Brakes, not just for parking, so they have the same self-energizing design as traditional drum brakes, which makes it less effective when applied against a rearward thrust. If you search something like "parking brake won't hold in reverse" you'll see that it's a universal question by nearly all brand car owners. It should hold on a hill facing backwards, if applied fully and properly adjusted, but usually won't hold against slight acceleration in reverse. Some parking brakes self adjust if applied while backing and applying the parking brake, but I don't know if Honda does. May be worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 with the same exact issue. You get any resolution? Having now read all the comments I realize some folks don't understand the issue. On a very slight incline, up or down, if I apply and hold the brake, the car remains stopped. However, I already sensed the PB WAS NOT DOING ITS JOB because whenever I use the PB the car rolls back or forward and rest against the Tranny. Consequently when I go to move again the full weight of the car is actually against the tranny, I.e. The EB isn't holding anything even though it sets tight when depressed. Honda has now adjusted the PB twice without picking up on this problem. There is definitely something wrong here and I suspect the problem is in more than one model or year. Once I determined the trick of setting the PB and going into neutral it was easy to demonstrate to the service problem that there is a real problem. They're working on it now. We'll see!!!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have a 2012 with the same exact issue. You get any resolution? Having now read all the comments I realize some folks don't understand the issue. On a very slight incline, up or down, if I apply and hold the brake, the car remains stopped. However, I already sensed the PB WAS NOT DOING ITS JOB because whenever I use the PB the car rolls back or forward and rest against the Tranny. Consequently when I go to move again the full weight of the car is actually against the tranny, I.e. The EB isn't holding anything even though it sets tight when depressed. Honda has now adjusted the PB twice without picking up on this problem. There is definitely something wrong here and I suspect the problem is in more than one model or year. Once I determined the trick of setting the PB and going into neutral it was easy to demonstrate to the service problem that there is a real problem. They're working on it now. We'll see!!!
You are correct the parking brake will not hold the vehicle on a somewhat steep incline either forward or backward. If you find resolution that would be good to know. I have a driveway that drops 7' in 50', my 07 would not hold on the sloped section of the drive, neither will the 13 I have now or my 14 Silverado that uses the same type of foot set and release parking brake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resolve

You are correct the parking brake will not hold the vehicle on a somewhat steep incline either forward or backward. If you find resolution that would be good to know. I have a driveway that drops 7' in 50', my 07 would not hold on the sloped section of the drive, neither will the 13 I have now or my 14 Silverado that uses the same type of foot set and release parking brake.
Not sure what Honda did but the emergency brake is now extremely hard to press, BUT, it does hold the vehicle when I set it on an incline. It does not roll until limiting in the tranny! I had to convince them there was an issue by demonstrating the setting of the brake on an incline while holding the brake pedal down, then releasing the brake pedal while the tranny was in neutral. Everyone at Honda agreed the EB. Should hold the vehicle stationary, but it was not! After getting several senior mechanics looking at it they readjusted and it now works according to Hoyle. However, my 71 yr old leg is having difficulty setting the EB far enough to hold! Believe something is still wrong but at least a potential hazard is avoided for time being. By the way, only an idiot would believe the EB should NOT hold under the conditions described! Every car I've ever owned worked that way, and this CRV is my first experience with an EB that was this difficult. There is a mfg defect for sure but not sure what to do about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts