Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. The Check Engine, VSA and EPS lights came on our CRV. Took vehicle to local dealership (where we have bought 4 cars) and we need new timing chain, tensioner, actuator guide and the various seals and gaskets. $2,689!!! Not to mention the $263 to diagnose the problem.

The vehicle is 200 miles out of warranty and at this point American Honda said they will not cover any of the work because we didn't get it serviced at a Honda dealership.

We have been good on the oil changes. Just had another one last week. We get them whenever the 15% Oil life light comes on.

Very frustrated with Honda right now!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. You said that you waited until 15% to do your oil changes, but what kind of oil were you using and how many miles before the actually oil change? What was the level of your oil throughout the life of the vehicle? Was it ever low for a good duration of it's life? This is a very unfortunate situation no doubt but I've only read of 1 other instance of this in the 4th gen V and there are plenty out there close to or over 100K miles without any issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
read the owners manual. here is why.
I know that some brands reccomend to replace the Tbelt at 60,000 miles under heavy duty operation. as for light duty it is recomended that you replace the Tbelt at 100K
now IDK about chains being stretch at 60K miles specially when they can last waay over that , they won't snap like a T belt, if something the guides are the ones that wear out and cause the chain to loose tension, this will give you the hessitation and knocking and pinging related to bad timing. so, read the owners manual.

now
IF you used El cheapo engine oil then those 100K miles are not realistic given that the cheap oil will not protect at the same level as the oil reccomended by Honda. I only use cheap oil when the engine is toasted already but not on fresh new or an engine wich still keep as close to new as possible.

gl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We always use synthetic oil and typically went to a Jiffy Lube or comparable place. 15% is when the Oil Life indicator comes on so that was typically when we got it changed. I have not noticed the oil level being low, but I really don't check the dipstick frequently. I can assure you, I will now. I did speak with two independent shops and both said that they see this pretty regularly and they were surprised Honda wouldn't help out at all.

I spoke with North American Honda several times today and they denied to assist at all. My wife and I have owned 5 Hondas and we have purchased 4 vehicles from this particular dealership, but nothing.

The manager at North American Honda refused to speak with me. I was professional with the folks I spoke with on the phone and they still refused to speak with me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would never change oil by the computer. Go by milage. In Arizona in 110 degrees, 4500 miles = 70% on the oil life indicator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. The Check Engine, VSA and EPS lights came on our CRV. Took vehicle to local dealership (where we have bought 4 cars) and we need new timing chain, tensioner, actuator guide and the various seals and gaskets. $2,689!!! Not to mention the $263 to diagnose the problem.

The vehicle is 200 miles out of warranty and at this point American Honda said they will not cover any of the work because we didn't get it serviced at a Honda dealership.

We have been good on the oil changes. Just had another one last week. We get them whenever the 15% Oil life light comes on.

Very frustrated with Honda right now!
According to the FTCIf you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
According to the FTCIf you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.
The warranty ended at 60,000 miles.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
read the owners manual. here is why.
I know that some brands reccomend to replace the Tbelt at 60,000 miles under heavy duty operation. as for light duty it is recomended that you replace the Tbelt at 100K
now IDK about chains being stretch at 60K miles specially when they can last waay over that , they won't snap like a T belt, if something the guides are the ones that wear out and cause the chain to loose tension, this will give you the hessitation and knocking and pinging related to bad timing. so, read the owners manual.

now
IF you used El cheapo engine oil then those 100K miles are not realistic given that the cheap oil will not protect at the same level as the oil reccomended by Honda. I only use cheap oil when the engine is toasted already but not on fresh new or an engine wich still keep as close to new as possible.

gl
oil is oil as long as you keep it changed !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts