Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new 2013 CRV in August after driving my 1999 CRV for 14 years. Was a delight to get a new one and a pure joy to drive until this week. It's only 4 months old and got up one morning to drive it to work and it wouldn't start. Took my parents car to work while my father and brother in law dealt with my car. They boosted it and then drove it up to the Honda dealership. We were told that the battery was low but "healthy". They also said that they couldn't find anything wrong with my car and that all updates had already been done. They wanted to unhook my rust module which was sold to me by the dealership to see if it was draining the battery. I really don't want to do without my rust module right now as winter has started and the salt is being poured on the roads. They also said that I'm not driving it enough. I drive it to work 5 times a week. It's not far but stop for groceries, appointments, etc. lots of days on the way home. I told them that I had absolutely no problem this way with my old CRV. It was 14 years old and only had 89,000km on it. Why would this one need to be driven more? I am reading that there is a problem with the 2012 CRV's doing this but is anyone else having a problem with the 2013's and what is being done to correct this problem. I bought the new car to have a good reliable vehicle and now am afraid to take it anywhere. If the problem isn't corrected I'm afraid I will have to deal it in and I won't be going with a Honda again although I love the car. I just want a car I can drive and not be afraid to be left stranded.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Does this thread strike a bell?

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/31193-dead-battery-second-time.html

Do you drive with the ECO button pushed to the 'ON' position?

I think we've been lucky with our '13 EX in that we do get it up on the freeway once in a while and we're not using the ECO button either.

I'm not familiar with the 'rust module' you speak of but I think I'd take the dealer up on it and have it disconnected until you (or they) figure out this problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello suezie13.i have owned a 2005,2010 and now i have a 2013 (since aug.13) i have changed all the batteries in my crv s . The battery in my 2010 was only 3 months old so i had it transfered to my 2013.i purchased a 500 cold cranking battery (duracell) from sam s club ($70.) .the honda batteries do not have enough reserve energy in them unless you are constantly driving on the highways .my 2013 crv is the touring model with all the bells and whistles which will drain a battery pretty fast.the dealers cannot tell you that the honda batteries are not very good plus, eventually they will charge you to test your battery.so unless you have have an electrical problem (the dealer said that everything is ok ) or that you left a light on you must drive it more or invest in a stronger battery. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Jourdain, Do you have any idea what is the largest cold cranking amp battery you can fit into a 2013 CRV? I'm thinking this is the route I am going to have to take. My parents have a 2012 Toyota RAV 4 and the battery that came with their car is a 582 cold cranking amp. Mine is 410. I phoned my dealership where I bought the car this past week and got talking to the man who sold me the car. No doubt, this is a great car, when it works. We talked a lot about the battery and I flat out asked him if he thought the batteries were too small for all the electronics in the car and he flat out said yes! I asked him if a bigger battery would help and he said it could, but you shouldn't have to put a bigger one in it. He told me to drive it in 2nd when I'm driving in town, which is basically all the time when I'm driving back and forth to work. Told me that the altenator wouldn't begin charging the battery until the car is being driven in normal driving temperatures and not until your RPM's are over 1700. He also told me to charge the battery once a month and to take it for a good drive (60km) at least once a week. I feel that driving under these conditions is unacceptable. I am now driving my vehicle without the auto headlights on, radio turned off, doing without the seat heaters, ECO button in off position, will not hook my cell phone to blue tooth and only turn on the heater and defrost when I am desperate. I am so afraid of being stranded when not at home. I bought the car to use the Eco to save money on gas, not to have to take it for a drive once a week and in 2nd in town. I'm using up more gas than ever. I might as well have bought a Hybrid and had to plug the darned thing in. Honda knows there is a problem and aren't coming good on it. After seeing my car, my parents thought that their next new car would be a CRV but are more than determined now that they will be buying another RAV 4 which they have had absolutely no problems with it, they are retired and leave it sitting in the driveway for days at a time. They won't touch a CRV with a 10 foot pole. I'm hoping that a larger battery is the solution but only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The largest battery that will physically fit the CRV is a Group 51r, the CCA ratings of 51r battery's usually falls between 400-500, you might find one slightly higher but not by much. The Group 51R designates the battery case size, CCA rating doesn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My daughter's 2013 CR-V had the battery die after 3 months of use. She is commuting 110 miles a day. You'd think that would charge the battery.

Update: had to be jumped again by AAA. Between the lousy headlights, frozen windshield washers, and a pathetic battery charging system this car is crap.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It may not if she's using the ECO button a lot.
Seems they've programed the alternator charge cycle to be 'off' when the ECO is 'on' under most circumstances. All in the name of saving gas.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The largest battery that will physically fit the CRV is a Group 51r, the CCA ratings of 51r battery's usually falls between 400-500, you might find one slightly higher but not by much. The Group 51R designates the battery case size, CCA rating doesn't.
This battery issue made me curious as well as a bit perplexed (why does Honda put in a relatively "weak" battery and get this flak when it would seem to be such an easy issue to avoid?).

Based on some Google'ing it seems that the highest CCA for the 51R is 500. There is another thread on here about what batteries people use. AutoZone features a Duralast Gold.

So, you guys who understand this stuff, what do you think? Is the problem a software issue, a battery issue, driving habits, all the above? I don't know anything about electrical systems and the worrier in me wonders if it makes sense to swap out my battery for a better one just to avoid a dead battery.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
All of the above.

The battery is marginal IF you drive short trips w/ECO on, or even long trips ECO on while using a lot of electrical 'things' like lights, heater blower, radio/stereo, etc., especially if you're in cold weather where you need a lot of initial juice to crank the engine getting it started.

That's my take on the situation after reading most of the battery dying threads here of late.
In your case Grumpy, you probably don't have a lot of really cold weather starts so your initial drain isn't going to be that bad. We're in a similar situation here in So Cal. I'm sure if my wife were only driving around town, using the ECO all the time (we don't), and didn't get on the freeway at all, I'd be having the same problems others have reported. A short around town jaunt for her is less than 5 miles. Luckily her folks live 12 miles and she uses the freeway to get there most of the time. I keep an ear on the engine every time we start it though, just to make sure I'll catch a problem before it happens. I don't really mind as it keeps me in touch with the car and the car guy in me. Otherwise it'd become an appliance like the dishwasher and I won't let that happen. I've got too much invested in it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Save a few $, save a few lbs., easier to squeeze under the hood???
IMO, Honda in an attempt to squeeze a little bit better fuel mileage (for bragging rights?) out of the CRV, they are screwing with the charging system. I think their decision will bite them in the backside, people do not like to be stranded, especially in essentially a new vehicle. Honda will eventually get it sorted but the negative reputation will have an impact on their sales, and then throw in the people fighting the TPMS issues.
If your battery tests good, I don't see a replacement being the answer, if the charging system isn't keeping the battery fully charged, a new battery will not change that. Maybe they have a bad lot of battery's but at this time it doesn't sound like that is the case.

·
Registered
637 Posts
In your case Grumpy, you probably don't have a lot of really cold weather starts so your initial drain isn't going to be that bad. We're in a similar situation here in So Cal.
We do get a few cold mornings every winter but cold for us is in the low 40's. Given the number of CR-V's sold every month/year I wonder how many people end up having a battery problem. I drive on the highway M-F so I should be good. I will ask the dealer about this when I go in for my first oil change.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Personally I wouldn't expect the dealer to be forth coming with any HONEST info on this problem. Too much bad publicity from it. I think Honda has done a dis-service to it's customers by trying to 'get the numbers' for the CAFE and programming the electronics such that it would seem you can't use the car in an every day fashion without being at risk of being stranded by a dead battery.
Do you use the ECO button?
My sales guy talked me into trying it out. I now realize that he could use it on an every day basis because he one drives the freeway to work and two doesn't have to deal with COLD weather starts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you use the ECO button?
My sales guy talked me into trying it out. I now realize that he could use it on an every day basis because he one drives the freeway to work and two doesn't have to deal with COLD weather starts.
I have been using it to test my MPG this week. When I get on the highway I have been putting it on and leaving it there. I guess I will leave it off. I really prefer to drive with it off anyway.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We leave ours off for the same reason. I like to GO when I put my foot in it and it sure doesn't when that button is pushed.

Maybe I really do need to drive my Accord more, just like my wife wants me to. hmmmm

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a question...

Is it suppose to be the alternators job to keep the battery charge and to provide enough power to the electrical system? A small battery should not hurt as the alternator should have enough amps to keep the volts on a range to power the electronics and recharge the battery.

My 89 Corolla uses the same battery size as my mothers rav4 and even though the car has fewer electronics, the battery never lasted 4 years or older. Even the rav4 with more electronics had one battery replacement at 4 years with another OEM battery after the old battery read 11.5V( test at state inspection and the other at the dealer) Both times the battery tester said the battery was ok, and in good condition. The dealer was the only one to recommend an immediate battery replacement. Though the charge was low I was thinking because it didn't get fully charged but did swap it out on the safe side.

Does anyone have something like this?: http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1387604050&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+monitor I would be interested to see what the voltages are with and without econ mode.

I am curious if Honda is relying on the battery more, and if the alternator is able to provide enough power to the system. I always have my crv in accessory mode for about 30 minutes a day just listening to music in the parking lot and waiting for the person to come out. Even during that freezing storm with heavy use of both front and rear defroster listening to music in the parking lot and then firing the CRV up. I don't notice any problems at all. I have my headlights on because it is sunset when I am going to pick the person up.

I just wonder if it is a small battery problem as people have said or just a random battery failures due to battery manufacturing defects. A bad cell inside can shows no symptoms unless you put a heavy load on it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I think it is fuzzy logic that Honda is using to determine the state of charge and when to engage the alternator to keep the battery charged.
An alternator when charging causes a drag on the engine, that reduces fuel economy, Honda is trying to minimize the amount of time the alternator is charging the battery. A bigger battery helps until it is discharged, then it is in the same boat as the smaller battery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi -

I have a couple of questions about the battery issue, that I'm hoping someone can answer.
1. I'm not seeing this issue being discussed regarding the 2014 model. Is that because Honda resolved the problem, or just that few of the 2014 have been around long enough for this to occur? (It sounds like it rears its head after a number of months).
2. My driving habits would suggest that I will have this problem. I don't drive that frequently and the majority of my trips are short (less than 5 miles of in-town driving). I also live in cold climate, so that doesn't bode well either. Has anybody tried using something like a Deltran Battery Tender to help maintain the battery's charge when the vehicle sits for periods of time? I have one on my Prelude, which gets driven very little in the winter months, and it seems to work really well. I don't have any issue with its battery or starting the car, even when it has sat for a couple of months.

Thanks -
Diane

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
hi -

I have a couple of questions about the battery issue, that I'm hoping someone can answer.
1. I'm not seeing this issue being discussed regarding the 2014 model. Is that because Honda resolved the problem, or just that few of the 2014 have been around long enough for this to occur? (It sounds like it rears its head after a number of months).
2. My driving habits would suggest that I will have this problem. I don't drive that frequently and the majority of my trips are short (less than 5 miles of in-town driving). I also live in cold climate, so that doesn't bode well either. Has anybody tried using something like a Deltran Battery Tender to help maintain the battery's charge when the vehicle sits for periods of time? I have one on my Prelude, which gets driven very little in the winter months, and it seems to work really well. I don't have any issue with its battery or starting the car, even when it has sat for a couple of months.

Thanks -
Diane
Like you I haven't noticed postings for the 2014, maybe Honda made some changes. We have a late built 13, it is driven less than 5 mi. ea. way for the daily commute, weather has been quite cold for the time of year and we haven't seen any indication that there is a charging issue with ours. We gave the Eco mode a shot, didn't like the muted acceleration, shifting and couldn't see any fuel mileage increase so it has remained off.
The Battery Tender you have is the best on the market, you could hook the CRV up to it, wouldn't hurt anything. I would continue as you are, unless you begin to have issues.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts