Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just found this, and do not want to change the subject, but would tell me briefly Just what is a Rust Module? What does it look like, and how much does it cost. Can you only buy it from the Dealer? We live in Cleveland, OH and none of the dealers here ever mentioned Rust Module to me. Thanks
A rust module is basically a module that is supposed to stop your car from corrosion. I got mine from the dealer and cost $799. It has a lifetime warranty as long as I take it back to the dealer to get checked. I live in Canada and have since found out I can get one at Canadian Tire for a little less. Maybe check out corrosion module online. Here is the link for mine. diamondkote.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just to let everyone know that it has now been almost 2 months since Honda replaced my battery with the Group 24F and so far, no problems. I still drive in D3 in town and it starts like a pro every time, even in -28 degree weather. This info might help a few of you out.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A rust module is basically a module that is supposed to stop your car from corrosion. I got mine from the dealer and cost $799. It has a lifetime warranty as long as I take it back to the dealer to get checked. I live in Canada and have since found out I can get one at Canadian Tire for a little less. Maybe check out corrosion module online. Here is the link for mine. diamondkote.com
You would have been better off spending that money on Krown Rust Control. http://www.krown.com/

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just to let everyone know that it has now been almost 2 months since Honda replaced my battery with the Group 24F and so far, no problems. I still drive in D3 in town and it starts like a pro every time, even in -28 degree weather. This info might help a few of you out.
Thanks for that info on driving around town in D3. I'll have to try that next time I'm out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from Southern BC. New to this forum and new to Honda. First time post, sorry for the rant!!

Purchased my CRV last summer (July 2013) to tow behind our Motorhome as it is (or should I say was) one of the few cars that can be towed 4 wheels down.
Well, so far after 15,000 Kms it has lived up to all my expectations with the exception of continual dead battery issues.
I had the towing set up done by a hitch shop in Penticton. Part of the set up was to run a charge line from the Motorhome to the CRV battery to keep the battery charged while in tow. Necessary because the ignition must be left in the Aux position to unlock the steering and also there is a drain from the Brake and Turn signals.
Having towed other cars in the past, this was first on my list of requirements to the Hitch Shop before the install.
Well, low and behold, after towing for 3-4 hours, I go to start the car and the battery is dead. Quite disturbing as this has not happened on previous toads with the Charge line to the Motorhome battery installed.
In addition, I accidentally recently left the lights on while fuelling up and had a dead battery after only a few minutes.
I have had the dealer test the charging system and load test the battery and they claim all is well.

I know this is a very popular tow car so I'm asking if there are others towing a CRV that are experiencing the same problem and what have you done to fix it?
My next step is to install a new heavier battery and hopefully cure the problem.
I also have an issue with a noisy starter but but post that in another thread.

Looking forward to hearing from all you fellow CRVers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm chuckling after reading my posts from over a year ago.... My V wouldn't start this morning. Jumped it with my portable jump start battery (thank you forum members who clued me in).

Off to the dealership this weekend I guess. Oh, the indicator was still green.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had to jump the car again with the replacement 500 CCA battery. Eco mode is off. The charging system and battery are inadequate for cold regions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: 2013 Battery drained thread. Just had to have our CRV jump started today 1/14/16 (for the first time), as the battery was not charging on our 2013 CRV ,after outside temp was - 8 below zero. Never had this problem before! Original Honda Battery is only 2 1/2 yrs old. I read your comments on the strongest battery you could buy & fit in battery box was a 500 cold cranking one. What replacement battery did you get? and have you had any problems trying to start your CRV since then? Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for your reply on battery replacement on your CRV. I will check out my wife's 2013 CRV as it would not start this morning 1/14/16 ( - 8 below zero ) & am going to find out why! Going to Honda and having them check the programming of the PCM. and the charging of the 2 1/2 year old Honda Battery .

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that a stock, 2-1/2 year old battery is having a problem starting the car when it's -8 below. The temp falls far enough out of the norm for the battery guys to have anticipated it needing to last/work under those conditions.
I'd be happy it lasted as long as it did and just go get a new Group 24 (or whatever the upgrade size is) battery for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just last week I parked my 2013 ex in a covered airport parking lot. After 8 days it started right up when I got back. But the weather here is in the 30s degC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my new 2013 CRV in August after driving my 1999 CRV for 14 years. Was a delight to get a new one and a pure joy to drive until this week. It's only 4 months old and got up one morning to drive it to work and it wouldn't start. Took my parents car to work while my father and brother in law dealt with my car. They boosted it and then drove it up to the Honda dealership. We were told that the battery was low but "healthy". They also said that they couldn't find anything wrong with my car and that all updates had already been done. They wanted to unhook my rust module which was sold to me by the dealership to see if it was draining the battery. I really don't want to do without my rust module right now as winter has started and the salt is being poured on the roads. They also said that I'm not driving it enough. I drive it to work 5 times a week. It's not far but stop for groceries, appointments, etc. lots of days on the way home. I told them that I had absolutely no problem this way with my old CRV. It was 14 years old and only had 89,000km on it. Why would this one need to be driven more? I am reading that there is a problem with the 2012 CRV's doing this but is anyone else having a problem with the 2013's and what is being done to correct this problem. I bought the new car to have a good reliable vehicle and now am afraid to take it anywhere. If the problem isn't corrected I'm afraid I will have to deal it in and I won't be going with a Honda again although I love the car. I just want a car I can drive and not be afraid to be left stranded.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts