Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a used 2013 Honda CRV from a dealer (Chevy not Honda) in April 2017. It had 23,959 miles when purchased. My boyfriend, who is a long-time experienced mechanic, checked it over extensively before giving me the go-ahead. I have maintained the Honda properly since then. The engine is pristinely clean. A week ago, the car engine light came on along with a couple of other lights. The car started to decelerate and I couldn't get it up to speed. I limped off the freeway and called my boyfriend. We had it towed and upon checking he surmised a burnt valve. Which indeed it has turned out to be.

We had it at Honda. They kept trying to get us to give them $800 before they would tell us whether it was a covered part. They were trying to charge us for a tear down. (I think that's what it's called.) My boyfriend went to check on the car and the engine was already pulled apart before he even told them we'd pay for it. He told them to give it back to him and it's being fixed elsewhere. Honda is refusing to take responsibility for anything.

This is very upsetting. Before this car I owned a Honda Civic which I purchased new. I had that car for 18 years and with no unusual or major problems until the end. I planned on keeping this car for a long time too. I am a teacher and single mom. I bought a Honda with the conviction that it is a reliable car.

Can anyone speak to this issue? Have you had any luck getting Honda to step up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased a used 2013 Honda CRV from a dealer (Chevy not Honda) in April 2017. It had 23,959 miles when purchased. My boyfriend, who is a long-time experienced mechanic, checked it over extensively before giving me the go-ahead. I have maintained the Honda properly since then. The engine is pristinely clean. A week ago, the car engine light came on along with a couple of other lights. The car started to decelerate and I couldn't get it up to speed. I limped off the freeway and called my boyfriend. We had it towed and upon checking he surmised a burnt valve. Which indeed it has turned out to be.

We had it at Honda. They kept trying to get us to give them $800 before they would tell us whether it was a covered part. They were trying to charge us for a tear down. (I think that's what it's called.) My boyfriend went to check on the car and the engine was already pulled apart before he even told them we'd pay for it. He told them to give it back to him and it's being fixed elsewhere. Honda is refusing to take responsibility for anything.

This is very upsetting. Before this car I owned a Honda Civic which I purchased new. I had that car for 18 years and with no unusual or major problems until the end. I planned on keeping this car for a long time too. I am a teacher and single mom. I bought a Honda with the conviction that it is a reliable car.

Can anyone speak to this issue? Have you had any luck getting Honda to step up?
Check out this site. It explains the possible causes of burnt valves. I would think if a defect caused the burnt valve it would have shown up long before 39,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar situation with a 2008 CRV. It had AN intermittent miss that turned into full time miss. Ses light set code for rich o2 sensor. Without proper scan tool i replaced o2 sensor but did not correct. I changed all the plugs since it was cheap and easy... miss still there. turned out to be a number one injector. I agree with most in the forum who say you do not have a burnt valve.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts