Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating between Honda vs aftermarket remote starter.

The dealer installed Honda remote has terrible distance (something like 150 - 200 ft) But it has an awesome feature. Supposedly, you don't need to remember to setup your A/C or Defroster ahead of time. Starting it with the Honda remote configures this automatically.

Does ANYONE in the aftermarket have this feature?

Who makes the remote for Honda?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
http://www.handa-accessories.com/remotestart.pdf

Q: How does the Remote Engine Starter A/C/Heater/Defrost feature work?

A (Civics and CR-Vs):
Your vehicle must have Auto Climate Control for this feature to work. If the
temperature is below 41°F, the climate control system will automatically set the temperature to
72°F and activate the A/C, the rear defroster, and the heated door mirror. If the temperature is
above 41°F, the climate control system remains in the same mode as when you last drove the
vehicle.
For vehicles without Auto Climate Control, set the temp and fan to your desired settings when you park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it really has nothing to do with the remote starter?
If the car has auto climate control (which mine does) then any remote will do it?

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I think that due to the Honda starter being integrated with the vehicle an aftermarket unit may not operate in the same way. You would have to check with installers to see if it is possible.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Like Lizzurd says, and the wife reports that if you turn on the seat as you leave, it will be warm when you get in. Also, it does have some weird features. The doors must be locked, it will not start with unlocked doors, you must lock the doors first. When you unlock your door to get into the car, the engine will die, and must be restarted with the key. I assume this is a security feature. My Ford is different, it will lock the doors when it is started with the remote and it will allow entry (either with the key or key-less entry) without the engine dying. The Ford will kill the engine if the transmission is moved out of park without the key being in the ignition, so a restart isn't needed. The Honda remote only comes with one remote control unit, the Ford came with two remotes. If you need two remote control units, budget another $130 or so if you buy from Honda dealers that sell on the internet at reduced price, so check prices before you get it from your dealer. You can also buy the entire kit off the internet and install it yourself if you are so inclined. There is a big markup on this option, try to get a discount if you are ordering when you buy your CR-V.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As genep mentioned, the Honda remote start does not allow access inside the vehicle without first turning the engine off (and engine won't start with doors unlocked or windows down). The distance is also unimpressive. We actually had ours removed, and are now looking at aftermarket units.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm fine with the OEM remote starter, even if it lacks some of the features the after market remote starter offer. The price of installing a third party remote starter is about the same as the OEM install, and there's risk of some compatibility issues. Everyone has to decide based on their requirements, I prefer to take the least risky route.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Buy and install from a reputable shop and there won't be any compatibility issues.
I tested a friend's 2012 CR-V with OEM remote start, covers all my needs. I'll probably have it installed next week.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
250 Posts
Got a aftermarket one after I looked at the OEM. The benefits from an aftermarket are WAY better and for the price its the same.
After a year of having the OEM one there is no warranty on the work VS the aftermarket one which covers a warranty on parts and installation for the rest of the life of the car. I know within a year that honda one wont go but it might go 2 or 3 years down the road. The distance is so horrible with the Honda one VS the aftermarket which is usually a mile. The thing is you us that remote start when coming out of a movie or grocery store before you get out.
The next thing is the OEM does not tell you its on at all. The aftermarket one once the car is turned on it tells you and then tells you how long its been on and tells you how warm you car inside is before you head out. The other thing is I get up everyday at a certain time my aftermarket unit is programmed to go off at a certain time to start up so right when I go out its already on.

On top of the whole thing the OEM honda remote start is just a rebranded Viper unit that says Honda on it and its aftermarket and they have to do the same thing cut into the wire harness just like an OEM one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Got busy at work so didn't get to follow through on this.

I wasn't aware Honda uses rebranded Viper units. I guess this could be compared to Apple rebranding Hitachi HDs and Samsung RAM for their computers. In Apples scenario, there's more to rebranding than sticking a label on a device or component.

Like customized firmware specifically written for the targeted computer, or higher MTBF hard drive ratings to meet Apple's stringent requirements. Maybe not all the time, and I suppose a case could be made that there may be some cases where it amounts to nothing more than a sticker being put on it. But when an authorized service provider runs hardware diagnostics in the Mac, the unsupported non-Apple RAM or HD is flagged and the Mac may thus be unsupported.

The Apple logo certification ensures compatibility, and ensures Apple will support the configuration. One vendor vs two...resolution vs finger pointing. So even though I can cram 16GB of non Apple re-branded Samsung RAM into a MacBook Pro, it's not a supported configuration so Apple will not support it (trust me I'm an ACMT), and Samsung will simply replace it which may not resolve the issue.

How can we be sure this scenario isn't applicable to Honda and third party remote starter units? It would be great to know for sure in this case so I'll reach out to Honda for an answer.

So those are my requirements. I'm willing to forego the bells and whistles the third party brand offers. To each his own, I know, and I'm very thankful for this thread, as it's been a real eye opener. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
704 Posts
The features you describe are impressive. What is the brand/model of the aftermarket you installed please? Total cost installed?

Got a aftermarket one after I looked at the OEM. The benefits from an aftermarket are WAY better and for the price its the same.
After a year of having the OEM one there is no warranty on the work VS the aftermarket one which covers a warranty on parts and installation for the rest of the life of the car. I know within a year that honda one wont go but it might go 2 or 3 years down the road. The distance is so horrible with the Honda one VS the aftermarket which is usually a mile. The thing is you us that remote start when coming out of a movie or grocery store before you get out.
The next thing is the OEM does not tell you its on at all. The aftermarket one once the car is turned on it tells you and then tells you how long its been on and tells you how warm you car inside is before you head out. The other thing is I get up everyday at a certain time my aftermarket unit is programmed to go off at a certain time to start up so right when I go out its already on.

On top of the whole thing the OEM honda remote start is just a rebranded Viper unit that says Honda on it and its aftermarket and they have to do the same thing cut into the wire harness just like an OEM one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased a Viper unit from Best Buy for my wife's 2013 CR-V. Couldn't be happier. The range is incredible; she starts it from her office (2nd floor inside a building) and the car is probably 400 yards away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 2011 and had the dealer install the OEM remote starter. Now that we are at the end of our lease, we are regretting not installing an aftermarket remote starter. If we had installed an aftermarket we could have removed and installed in our next CRV. We have been told by the dealer that they can't remove the OEM RS and they they have told us that the RS doesn't add any value to the car.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Interesting, is this what the dealer is telling you? I've traded up from 2002>2006>2012 and each time I showed my dealer that I would get more if I sold the car myself. So they up'd their offer to (virtually) match what I would have sold it for myself. Hard to believe remote starter doesn't add value to the car, seems like something a dealer would say when you're negotiating a trade in. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
The features you describe are impressive. What is the brand/model of the aftermarket you installed please? Total cost installed?
I dont remember the name of it. I got the aftermarket one and it does have other features which I can improve if I want to down the line. Like I can upgrade my viper remotes to the viper remote start. Which I will down the line as then you can start it anywhere or if your spouse locks the door or cant get in you can do it from your smart phone anywhere in the world. My wife has a copy of the factory toyota one and even from the grocery store in the dead of winter in line you cannot turn the car on. You have to be like 100 feet away. Its a no brainer to get an aftermarket also when considering its just about the same exact price and you get no aftermarket support.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've not had such good luck with aftermarket anything! The installation shop either goes bust or the dealer that installed it refuses to support it or blames it for everything not working period!

Will stick with OEM supported stuff unless it does not interfere with the operation of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts