Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- my 2013 locks itself -- not every time I get out of the car -- but at least 75% of the time -- fortunately I always take the key out with me even if I am just stepping out to clean the windshield --

I called Honda Corporate Customer Service and they didn't seem to have any idea of why this happens -- suggested I take the car to a dealer and have them hook it up to a computer and have them check it out -- I've already asked the service department at my dealer -- and they didn't know -- don't know if they hooked the car up to the computer though -- I've also asked a Honda certified mechanic --

Has anyone had this happen?? if so -- did you find out why??

Also -- I had a 2008 CRV before this one -- and -- one day I GOT LOCKED IN MY CAR -- I could not get out -- I had to drive to the nearest Honda dealer service department -- they got me out of the car -- and replaced the whole locking system -- has anyone had this happen??? the mechanics at the dealership said they never saw that before -- I was still under warranty so I didn't have to pay for the work/parts -- but it took about four hours --

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Just to verify, you mean that the vehicle locks itself when you close all the doors after you come out of the vehicle. Not when you unlock the doors with the keyfob, but not opening any of the door? Let me know.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If I leave my '13 unlocked and walk away for an extended amount of time I find it to be locked as well. I think it's just a security feature.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If I leave my '13 unlocked and walk away for an extended amount of time I find it to be locked as well. I think it's just a security feature.

I agree with you. It's a safety feature. Even other Imports have this feature. I believe it locks itself in 30 seconds if you do the countdown. If this is not her case maybe there is a glitch in the locking logic in her vehicle. I might suggest to do a hard reset.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
You might even check the menu in the locking options to see if this is owner programmable. I know ours will lock itself if you unlock the door but fail to open a door within a certain amount of time. It doesn't lock itself though as I've never found it locked when parking in the garage overnight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You might even check the menu in the locking options to see if this is owner programmable. I know ours will lock itself if you unlock the door but fail to open a door within a certain amount of time. It doesn't lock itself though as I've never found it locked when parking in the garage overnight.
+1 I would assume this is what is happening

I leave mine unlocked all the time over night

but if i hit the unlock button and dont open the doors, it will lock after a few minutes

·
Registered
159 Posts
I frequently find my '13 locked in the garage....where I NEVER lock it intentionally. I've always just assumed that the key fob button gets accidentally pushed in my pocket somehow. I ALWAYS lock it when exiting except in my own locked garage so I've never experienced this anywhere else. I do know it will re-lock if unlocked with the fob and no door is opened within a programmable amount of time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think its a fake post, you don't have the smarts to try another door, roll down a window try outside handle to get out????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the car locks itself when I get out -- all four doors and the back hatch door -- all five locations -- I am not touching the remote -- it just locks itself -- sometimes right away -- sometimes it takes a while -- I keep my car in a locked garage so I do not lock the doors when I park it --
when I do grocery shopping I take some things inside -- put them away -- then go back out to get the rest and I always have to take the key/remote with me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no -- it's not a safety feature -- it's a defect -- after I posted I googled the problem and found out that there have been class action lawsuits about this problem -- but my CRV's year wasn't included -- so far at least

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the post is not fake -- did you read the whole thing??? the dealership had to get me out -- and not by just "opening the door" -- and then they replaced the whole locking system -- yes I lowered (not rolled down as they are electric) windows and tried to open a door (the two front ones) -- did not work -- do you think they would change the whole system if there was nothing wrong???

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If this is the case then it will probably take a complete re-flash of the computer and/or a replacement of same.
Good luck when you go to the dealer to get it fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts