Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings fellow CRV owners! I have a 2013 Thai built CRV fitted with a 2.4 and 5 speed auto. The car overall has been good, however, there are 2 issues that I'd appreciate some assistance from the knowledgable members of this forum. The issues are:

1. Noisy idle: At idle the engine sounds a bit clattery, almost like a diesel idling. For the first three years the idle was very quiet, how it is quite noisy, even from inside the car with the windows closed. It seems like a valve adjustment issue too me. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

2. Poor AirCon Performance: The AirCon has been poor since the the car was new. To cool the cabin even a little bit requires the aircon to be run at full with recirculation on. The dealer has tested it several times and claims that its blowing the correct temp at the vents. If anyone has had a similar issue and has managed to get it resolved, I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
How many miles do you have on it? The noisy idle could very well be the valves chattering i.e. needing a valve lash. As for the air condition, the was one of my complaints from day 1. There's nothing you can do except live with it.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
By all means have the valves adjusted. But be aware, LOOSE=Clatter (tapping) and TIGHT= burned valves. So you want to just set them to spec.

Sometimes the fuel injectors sound as if they clatter or tap. Annoying, but not an issue.

Regards AirCon, again all you can do is make sure it is properly charged. DO NOT OVERCHARGE the system. That makes it less efficient.

Some Fit/Jazz owners in hot climates have removed the cabin filter entirely. That provides more airflow at the expense of possible debris entering the cabin. (Of course, before the mid-1990s, automotive HVAC ran without cabin filters...)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles do you have on it? The noisy idle could very well be the valves chattering i.e. needing a valve lash. As for the air condition, the was one of my complaints from day 1. There's nothing you can do except live with it.
Its got 34,000 miles on it, not that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By all means have the valves adjusted. But be aware, LOOSE=Clatter (tapping) and TIGHT= burned valves. So you want to just set them to spec.

Sometimes the fuel injectors sound as if they clatter or tap. Annoying, but not an issue.

Regards AirCon, again all you can do is make sure it is properly charged. DO NOT OVERCHARGE the system. That makes it less efficient.

Some Fit/Jazz owners in hot climates have removed the cabin filter entirely. That provides more airflow at the expense of possible debris entering the cabin. (Of course, before the mid-1990s, automotive HVAC ran without cabin filters...)
Thank for the tips... I'll follow these options up. It also looks as if the 2012-on model CRV's AirCon performance was never great to start with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have removed the cabin/pollen filter for summer use and the aircon is a little better, it is still not great, but now acceptable. When the hot weather is over (I'm in Australia) I'll install a fresh pollen filter. I really appreciate the tip. The car has been booked in to have the idle rattle sound and a mild whine noise from the drivetrain diagnosed at the dealer. The drivetrain noise only occurs when I press the gas pedal, could be a number of things like a bearing, CV joint, transmission. I'll post what occurs for anyone else who may have similar issues.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I wonder if the hot air vents are shutting off completely when the a/c is on.
My wife will typically bring a light sweater to wear in the car on longer rides when she knows the a/c will be on. The only time we turn it up much is when the car's been sitting out in the sun for a while we're shopping or something like that.
When the valves are adjusted properly the engine sounds like a fine mechanical sewing machine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Carbuff2 is correct. Honda Fuel Injectors are noisier than other car brands.

Use the Max/AC button(ECON off) will help to keep the cabin cooler.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The a/c on my 2013 EX AWD will freeze me out in South Florida. I have never had a car's ventilation system perform better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts