Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just purchased this baby last week and as I was looking this AM in the engine bay I noticed that the intake manifold is made of plastic. Would this pose a problem down the road? Is there another model that uses metal intake? I suppose the CRV engine is derived from other models?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
A lot of cars have gone to plastic intake manifolds but are made to withstand the temperatures that it's exposed to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only time plastic intakes are an issue is in turbo cars or way back when ford thought it was a good idea to bolt the alternator to the plastic intake on Crown Victoria's. the vibration would crack it. If you never put a turbo on your crv, that intake will outlast the rest of the car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The plastic piece that you mention does not bother me. If it bothers you, you can buy an extended warranty from some Honda dealers via the internet. Search here for warranty and you will find posts about this. The price of the genuine Honda extended warranty varies widely from one dealer to the next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not worried at least for the next 8 years as I did purchase an extended Honda warranty. I was just wondering as this CRV engine probably been used in other prior honda models so could there be an alloy intake that would work just in case this plastic would fail later past the extended warranty. On the other hand being plastic it may also be cheaper to replace.

Yes no turbo for me on this one. My S2000 is already supercharged and enough headache already lol.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hi My 2006 CRV came with plastic intake manifold & I did not have any problem. As Dexter 1 mentioned that it can withstand high temperatures. The reason is that Honda used plastic intake manifold. Is to increase thermal efficiency for the incoming air intake charge. Plastic wont conduct heat as easily as Aluminum. To keep the intake air cooler compared to Aluminum. There is a possibility that the Plastic intake manifolds actually costs more than aluminum as the plastic is a composite one not just a regular plastic. The 2007 uses aluminum intake manifold as opposed to the 2006.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I just recall that our 2000 VW Beetle had cooling problem just few months after we paid it off and having no warranty left we decided to sell it to my brother and he had it fixed. The problem was that the original water pump propeller was made of plastic (some of the blades were ripped off) so he had it replaced with one made by Bosch and the propeller was made of metal. To date about 7 years now it is still running strong.

So this is actually what my fear of these plastic parts around the engine. But I guess the intake should be okay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BMW liked using plastic impellers for a while on the 3 series cars. Very well known problem. Luckily the replacement pumps have metal impellers and there is no issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The plastic ( composite material),gives the engine a different sound, but it is a plus,been light weight and able to outlast any other parts in the car, Land Rover,jaguar, Volvo, etc, is been using them for a long time,.:cool:;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Things that will drive me crazy and I might go look at other cars.

1. Plastic water pump
2. Plastic engine
3. Plastic oil filter
(seal lifetime transmission fluid or any fluid that is sealed in and says lifetime) which usually means warranty life...

things that bother me but can sort of live with:
1. plastic radiator (road salt issue)
2. No real bumper(plastic) I don't care much of those full metal bumpers. The corolla I had was metal reinforced with rubber covering. I got hit twice same spot at 5 mph and again at 8 mph by 2 different people and the bumper is still holding.. trunk doesn't close evenly.. but no water gets in. Of course the rust helps reinforces everything..
3. Plastic gas tank ( because of new England road salt)

Things I actually don't mind:
1. Plastic siding on the door. ( good durable plastic should last the age of the car.
2. Plastic siding under-carage. Again road salt. Worst thing is eating under your side quarters or wheel well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was reading about engine backfire through the intake manifold, as when an intake valve is stuck open or ECU fires the cylinder when the intake valve is still open. Can the CR-V plastic intake manifold hold up to a backfire through the intake?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts