Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am in need of some guidance. I have a 2013 CRV that has the shudder problem. The dealership did the first TSB which is flush and reprogram. They also mentioned both rear axles need replaced. The left does have a little play in it to be fair. They quoted me a cool $2500, which I feel is grossly overpriced. I am decent with mechanical stuff and have replaced struts, wheel bearings, etc. Is this a job I could tackle? I am thinking so, just can’t find a lot of info on the newer years replacement. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I agree with you $2500 is grossly overpriced. They must be replacing the axles with brand new Honda Units. You can tackle the CV shaft replacement from your experience this should not be a problem. I agree with you not much info on the newer ones. Have you tried to check for play after the vehicle has been driven around? If you do decide to replace those axles be sure you only get Reputable Remanufactured ones. Not those brand new unknown names. As many have bad experience of bad vibes. Or even I heard that New Cardones are good from other members here. Do you feel any vibes from the rear?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you $2500 is grossly overpriced. They must be replacing the axles with brand new Honda Units. You can tackle the CV shaft replacement from your experience this should not be a problem. I agree with you not much info on the newer ones. Have you tried to check for play after the vehicle has been driven around? If you do decide to replace those axles be sure you only get Reputable Remanufactured ones. Not those brand new unknown names. As many have bad experience of bad vibes. Or even I heard that New Cardones are good from other members here. Do you feel any vibes from the rear?
There is 100% play in the left rear axle, not a whole lot, but I can move it by grabbing it and pulling back and forth real hard. All I can find are new off brand ones, only remans are for the front.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow less than $50 a piece. Seems like a good deal. Just wish I could find a bit more info on how to do it. I assume its similar to the front. I am unsure if i’ll lose diff fluid and such though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took it on a quick spin and noticed something, both axles are moving at the part that seems to be after the joints. It is the metal part that goes into the differential. Making me wonder if its either normal or a sign of a bigger problem now.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You're welcome! What's the longest time or length in a day of the month do you do? After driving the longest travel or time after the destination try to see if the play is still there. Agreed let it be for a while. Let me know how it turned out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can definitely tackle the rear axles job if you have done suspension work. It’s pretty straight forward. I have done the front. You need I believe 17 mm to partially remove the lower ball joint and 36mm for the axle nut. It helps having an impact wrench. I can’t believe Honda is charging 2500 for the rear axle job. I’m in the wrong business.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're welcome! What's the longest time or length in a day of the month do you do? After driving the longest travel or time after the destination try to see if the play is still there. Agreed let it be for a while. Let me know how it turned out.
Probably a 30-40 minute drive in traffic on the way home. Will check next week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts