Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the forum.

I just purchased a 13 CRV that won't run. My first thought was a timing chain jump. After removing the valve cover, my suspicion what confirmed. I lined up the crank pulley ( not sure if to use the red or white mark?) Intake cam looks good, exhaust cam is at 9 o'clock to where it should be. Top tensioner was broken into 3 pieces ( one gone). I had inspected too see if any rockers had excessive clearance....looked ok. Will these engines bend valve in this situation? What is the common failure here? This engine has 300,000 km, and was using oil.....previous owner couldn't confirm if it was leaking or burning.... spark plugs don't show signs of burning. Should also mention, was 2 quarts down when previous owner found it stalled while warming it up. Do these starve oil to the timing chain tensioner when run low on oil? Just wondering if this is worth fixing? As I have located a low mileage engine at a reasonable price.

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
there is a mark on the cover to line up the crank pulley to that's TDC ,another way would be stick a long screw driver or similar down #1 spark plug hole and the piston should be at its highest point then both cam gears line together if its in time,you will have to get it in time to do any further tests like leakdown /compression , its probably a jumped timing chain,info below on the cam chain job,looks like the white mark is the one ,the service manual shows,also make sure the VTC is locking on the intake cam

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link Dave. I did go with the white mark, the red was only 1/2" away. The intake appears to be in time with the crank, but the exhaust is out by a 1/4 turn. The chain had been jumping by turning the crank with a ratchet. I believe if i re align the exhaust cam, it will continue to jump without replacing the broken guide, making it tough to do a compression test. Are these 2.4 prone to bending valves? How do I test for a locking VTC?

·
Registered
378 Posts
yes the valves will hit the pistons in the right conditions,it sounds like more than just the guide though ,this is the top one you found broke right? the tensioner may have failed too, the ratcheting part will do that and go all the way back in until it gets oil pressure,I have even seen the 2 bolts on the tensioner come loose from not being torqued when the chain was done 12k miles ago at a Honda dealer according to CarFax ,that was on my wife's CRV 2006, not long after we bought it,it sounded like the engine was done,so I took the valve cover off and the chain was loose but it didn't jump,I just took the 3 bolt cover off and found the 2 bolts on the tensioner were 1 turn loose ,so I torqued the 2 bolts on the tensioner amd put it back together and its all good now,about 10kago ,anyway the VTC actuator if it will turn left then its not locked,it sounds like thats not a problem on yours from what you said

Attachments

·
Everything in Moderation
7,903 Posts
According to @Tigris99 running the engine low on oil will contribute to timing chain tension and tensioner issues. Seems as if you are finding the same thing. 😤

If I were in your shoes I'd put that other engine in...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a compression test today. It seems the intake valves got a little tooooo close to the pistons. Leaking on all cylinders. The decision to buy the used engine just became clear.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts