Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo,

I Just bought a 2013 honda crv with 37,000 miles a few weeks ago. Car bangs when going from P to Reverse when on the slightest incline. Really loudly. No bang on totally flat ground. Car is whining like an rc car when accelerating especially in lower gears/high rpm. This is a traditional auto, NOT A CVT, but it sounds like my old nissan cvt when it started to fail. No noise in neutral or park. The noise is worst in lower gear. WHen I switch it to 1st gear on my gearshift it sounds like a rc car when pushing the gas pedal.. Like a bad bearing in the tranny.

Also, ONE time, The car jerked hard at about 30mph when I went from brake to accelerator.

I just got the car so i'm not used to it's normal sounds.(It's 100 percent not a wheel bearing, tire noise ect.) I know those sounds. THis is very unique whine. Steering is fine and it had a complete inspection. Also, tranny fluid was changed at dealership. Not a flush, but drain and fill.

This is insanely low mileage for tranny to be banging and whining.

Do you think this is a transmission problem or this normal for this model crv?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention the alternator was tested over a week ago after the battery died and is fine.I have a new battery now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
bring it in and have them check for any codes .

my '13 used to get jerky when going from 100 kmph down to residential street speed once in awhile even when it was newish . obviously your situation seems more serious than that .

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,760 Posts
Hard to say if there is an issue, the vehicle weight may simple be resting on the parking pawl in the transmission when you park on an incline. Try setting the parking brake before you put it in park when on an incline. This will help take the load off the parking pawl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah maybe you're right about the parking brake. Maybe the pawl is just REALLY sensitive to inclines. Here's a video link. Check about 20-27 seconds. It sounds very high pitched to me. Maybe this is just what the engine sounds like normally? It's not floored. I've got it in neutral and recreated the sound I'm hearing. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think the engine noise is anything to worry about. It could be a pulley or belt that's a little tight. Have an ASE tech look at it just to be sure. They can also check out the trans issue. I always set the parking brake when on an incline to relieve the pressure on the pawl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the engine noise is anything to worry about. It could be a pulley or belt that's a little tight. Have an ASE tech look at it just to be sure. They can also check out the trans issue. I always set the parking brake when on an incline to relieve the pressure on the pawl.
Ok great! I love the car, but I'm paranoid as my last car has a transmission issue shortly after purchase. So when it banged multiple times sifting out of park, I panicked. The "whine" I was hearing was probably just how the engine normally sounds. I'm no longer worried.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If your a bit of a DIYer it wouldn't hurt to do a drain and fill on the transmission. It's the easiest fluid change on the CRV, you don't even have to raise the vehicle to do it. The drain plug is just behind the bumper, and you can buy 4 qts. of Honda DW1 fluid for $33 on Amazon. Plenty of how to vids on Youtube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your a bit of a DIYer it wouldn't hurt to do a drain and fill on the transmission. It's the easiest fluid change on the CRV, you don't even have to raise the vehicle to do it. The drain plug is just behind the bumper, and you can buy 4 qts. of Honda DW1 fluid for $33 on Amazon. Plenty of how to vids on Youtube.
Already did that right when I acquired the vehicle as preventative maintence, but paid the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to say if there is an issue, the vehicle weight may simple be resting on the parking pawl in the transmission when you park on an incline. Try setting the parking brake before you put it in park when on an incline. This will help take the load off the parking pawl.
The noise is still there even when I set the parking brake. On the slightest incline too. I put it in neutral, then put the parking brake on. Then put it in park. Still clunks when I go from P to R after I release parking brake.

Are you saying to do that for the future so the pawl doesn't completely break? Even if it still makes a clunk even when parking brake is set? I think maybe whomever had the car last was putting the vehicle in P before coming to a complete stop countless times.

If the pawl is worn, does that have an any effect on the rest of the tranny? I've got an appointment at the dealer for them to look at it. I always like to come in educated before I arrive. To fix a pawl, you have to take the tranny out, which is a fortune. So I'll deal with a clunk if that's all it is and just baby it by setting the parking brake if you think that will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's a video of the clunking. This clunking actually happened on flat ground. I'm revving the engine a little in neutral. It has a very high pitched/whirring/a little bit of a whine engine sound imo, but obviously honda was going for the formula one sound engine! With my foot on the brake the whole time, I'm then switching out of park repeatedly. The clunks come towards the end of the video. Normally it's silent and doesn't clunk like that on flat ground, but for some reason it did this time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. I used the parking brake correctly and it totally took away the clunk on a hill. I didn't have the parking brake totally engaged before.

I'm guessing the parking pawl was damaged by the previous owner by engaging park before coming to a complete stop. Sucks. If the parking pawl is damaged, could that have damaged the rest of the transmission? Car shifts fine. I have an appointment soon. I'm guessing they'll check transmission mounts as well, but probably just pawl is damaged and nothing you can do. Obviously not going to take tranny out to fix a pawl, unless it totally fails and I can't use park anymore. Hopefully that won't happen in the future.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Doubt if the pawl is damaged. It's a crude latching device on the transmission's output shaft. The typical symptom of a damaged pawl is that the car rolls away when it's in park. My CRV will do the same thing when parked on an incline. You might have the parking brake adjusted.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Doubt if the pawl is damaged. It's a crude latching device on the transmission's output shaft. The typical symptom of a damaged pawl is that the car rolls away when it's in park. My CRV will do the same thing when parked on an incline. You might have the parking brake adjusted.
Of course. It's worn is what I meant. If it was totally broken, it would roll. Fordtechmakuloco has an excellent video showing how a parking pawl works.

The parking brake is fine. Once I set it correctly, it took away the clunk/bang. Your crv clunks/bangs when on a slight incline? Not talking a huge hill. My other cars in the past never did that. So that's normal? I'll just cancel my appointment with the dealer if that's the case

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I can't know how much your's is clunking, but I know that my CRV clunks more than my previous vehicles. But letting a dealer check it out to see if it's normal is not a bad idea. It will at least put your mind at easy if they say it looks normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts