Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As the title says, we are having an issue with our transmission when shifting from 2ed to 3rd. What I feel is a shutter and it seems more pronounced when the fluid is cold. It's pretty infrequent but it's there. At 35k the dealer said "no codes, so no problem" and suggested that a fluid change is necessary. He kind of made me feel like I've been negligent, but I have not gotten the code and I know it usually pops up about 60K. I usually change the trans fluid early (about ever 30-35k) so I had my mechanic change it using DW-1 as prescribed by Honda. The issue still exists.

Before I start a conversation with the Service Manager, whom I am no fan of, I interested in some input as to:
1. What mechanically could cause this?
2. No codes no problem. I that BS or true?
3. Could it be that the computer is telling the trans to shift to 3 too early and the shuttering I feel is simply just the drive train system straining for a moment as the gear is not correct for the speed/acceleration?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same issue very recently. Took it to the dealer they changed all fluids. They did a software update on the transmission and the awd system. The problem is solved. Mine also is a 2013. Find a different dealer!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had the same issue very recently. Took it to the dealer they changed all fluids. They did a software update on the transmission and the awd system. The problem is solved. Mine also is a 2013. Find a different dealer!
I'll mention an update when I speak with the Service Manager. If he is not responsive, I'll try an different dealer. The next closest is a bit of a ride so I'm trying not to deal with that.

Was your issue reproducible at the dealer or did they talk your word for it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry all about the duplicate topic post. I did not see the similar thread during my pre-post search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I read your original thread correctly you have a 2013 too. The Service Manager insisted there was no computer update. Glad it worked for you. He also insisted he to have the problem demonstrated.
I left the CRV overnight and we drove it this morning. I was beginning to think it would not reproduce, but it did on the 3rd run. The tech hooked up a computer and gathered data on the shifting to send to Honda. Honda techs said a torque converter is in need of replacement. It's being replaced under the 60K powertrain warranty. I hope the diagnoses helps others.
I'm happy to get this wrapped up. But am a little "torqued" (sorry...) that they had to experience the issue or not do anything. The problem occurs 15-25% of the time and only when cold. I got lucky on the first day. But if not..... Seems to me they could have just hooked up the computer based on my word and gone from there. My BMW had one of those infrequent issues I just could not reproduce at the dealer. The Tech new exactly what I was talking about and replaced the item after the second appointment. It was a $750 fix. Problem solved and never came back and that was 7 years ago. The end result was the same as with Honda, just less stress. Not sure if it a brand or dealership issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased a pre-owned CRV FWD from Carmax with 13k miles in July 2015. It had a transmission issue shuddering/vibrating at gear changes accelerating at 1st/2nd (approx. 20mph) and again at 2nd/3rd (approx. 40 mph) under light acceleration. When accelerating faster and on slowing down this behavior would not occur and shift change was smooth. We took it to a Honda dealer within the Carmax 5 days warranty period who indicated this was normal transmission behavior for this car and model year.

In December 2015 we took it to a Carmax dealer for an oil change. They confirmed that this was not normal behavior which they compared to another same model CRV on their lot. We took the CRV to another Honda dealer on 15-Dec 2015 now at 22k miles mostly interstate driving.

At the Honda dealership the service manager found Honda S/B 15-086 issued that very day addressing this very issue of vibration at gearshift change under light acceleration. The remedy is to change the ATF and update the software. This repair is covered under 60,000 miles/5 year powertrain warranty for all Honda CRV models 2012-14. This repair fixed the issue and the acceleration is now smooth with appropriate gear changes on any type of acceleration.

This CRV runs very well on regular gasoline and gets up to 37 MpG on interstate driving at 60-65 mph when its ECON option is active. With the ECON option the CRV's driving range is about 470 miles after fill-up on 350 miles of interstate and 120 miles in rural and urban traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a used CR-V 2012 EX AWD currently at 68,000 km, the transmission shudders/jerks when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear going from 40km/h to 50km/h on light acceleration on flat road surface. Can reproduce consistently, all you need is to go easy on the gas pedal. Doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold. At first I thought it was just a bumpy road, as I'm used to the CR-V not absorbing every single bump on the surface. But then the consistent jerk between 40 and 50km/h confirmed the problem. Took it to my local Honda dealer in Vancouver, BC, immediately was told that Honda knew about the problem and there is a TSB (technical service bulletin), recommended transmission fluid change/flush and software update for the ECM (engine control module) and PCM (powertrain control module). So far no issue, but I will report back if problem recurs. Asked the service manager for more info on the TSB, was told he's not allowed to share that type of detail information (huh, really?) Not impressed. The best he could do was give me a TSB reference number, A-2-16. I can't complain since they did the job without charge. The same day I brought my car in, another customer had the exact same problem on her Odyssey and I learned the same fix was applied.

Love my CR-V so far, but the transmission was starting to annoy/worry me, glad it's fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tsb

I have tried to find another thread for the same issue that someone is having with a 2013. Transmission shutter between 25 - 35 mph. Assume it's between 2nd and 3rd gear. Happens all the time under light pedal pressure but not when gassing it. I saw the mention of TSB or Honda S/B 15-086. The car now has 68K miles on it. All this time, I didn't know there was a major issue. Is there a location or link where I can download the TSB so I can discuss with dealer? Because it has 68K miles, I don't know if they will honor anything or not. Seems bad practice not to notify owners of known problems. GM learned the hard way.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,552 Posts
If the fluid is good and clean, almost sounds like transmission pressure switches need
replacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All!

So I was experiencing this issue since around 15k miles and was feeling some weakness / 'hesitation' in the car behavior between 20 and 40 mph even earlier. Complained to Honda dealer two years ago but could not reproduce the issue explicitly enough. At that point there were not so many complains on the internet so I did not act further.

Now my car is at almost 50k which is close enough to end of warranty to start thinking of either fixing the issue or replacing the car. The issue also feels more severe than earlier. The shudder itself is stronger and it may re-occur even on not completely cooled down car.

Discovering that there is this service bulletin finally and the issue can be fixed by Honda is a great relief. I'm already in conversations with Honda dealer as to how to schedule another test and hopefully fix.

However reading through this thread and few other threads I see that in some cases instead of just doing software update / liquid replacement the root cause had something to do with torque converter or pressure valves. Is Honda just masking those underlying hardware issues by changing few parameters in the software and in reality my car still has a resource issue with a risk of transmission breakdown not too long after the warranty is over?
Any thoughts as to how to diagnose specifically the hardware issues or get Honda look into that more seriously?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, the people who's fixed the shifting issue with changing the transmission fluid and updating the software according the technical bulletin.
Your Crv is Still find your original issue has never come back until non on july 2017? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello -

Were you able to get the part replaced? It's happening to my CR-V exactly as how members of this thread mention, and I'm on the same place as you are because my CR-V is 63K miles. I went to a dealership and they told me replacing the part would be around $1,200 USD, but their recommendation would actually be to wait until Honda USA decides to "officially" release the recall on that piece. The person did confirm on that there's no security threat or anything, but living in upstate NY I can only imagine if the car starts to vibrate while driving in snow (lets say through a curve), and this because that service person did in fact say the vibration on the long run "may" cause troubles with the AWD system, so no AWD in snow will probably cause an accident - not directly because of the vibration, but indirectly because of the car losing traction and crashing.

Is Honda expecting a class action lawsuit from a good number of CRV Owners in order to fix this? Seems - according to the service person - Honda USA is just waiting for more people to complain until they decide to do the recall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, the people who's fixed the shifting issue with changing the transmission fluid and updating the software according the technical bulletin.
Your Crv is Still find your original issue has never come back until non on july 2017? Thanks
so they did it on my CRV two months ago and the issue never reproduced since then. They did triple flush of the transmission instead of just replacing fluid and I had to pay for it, but I did not want to gamble...
they also replaced front right axle and something related to left axle as well. I doubted it was the actual root cause but since they did it under warranty why would I refuse...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello -

Were you able to get the part replaced? It's happening to my CR-V exactly as how members of this thread mention, and I'm on the same place as you are because my CR-V is 63K miles. I went to a dealership and they told me replacing the part would be around $1,200 USD, but their recommendation would actually be to wait until Honda USA decides to "officially" release the recall on that piece. The person did confirm on that there's no security threat or anything, but living in upstate NY I can only imagine if the car starts to vibrate while driving in snow (lets say through a curve), and this because that service person did in fact say the vibration on the long run "may" cause troubles with the AWD system, so no AWD in snow will probably cause an accident - not directly because of the vibration, but indirectly because of the car losing traction and crashing.

Is Honda expecting a class action lawsuit from a good number of CRV Owners in order to fix this? Seems - according to the service person - Honda USA is just waiting for more people to complain until they decide to do the recall.
So what is the part they are saying is faulty?

at 63k miles your transmission is probably due for fluid replacement anyway (or did you do it recently?) so it's a reasonable investment to replace fluid anyway. And then software update even if they don't want to do it under warranty would not cost too much - in my dealership they considered it a 30 minutes job (paying only for technician's time)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Mark4470. I recently purchased a 2014 Honda CR-V and noticed shuddering/vibration when accelerating at low speeds. The dealer updated my transmission software and changed the ATF. Runs like a top now! The service bulletin was 15-086. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've just purchased a used 2014 CRV (56,000kms). I didn't notice this shudder when on the test drive, but i have driven a manual transmission for the last decade and all i noticed was that it felt different. After driving it all weekend i noticed this shudder when the transmission is in 3rd gear and i'm accelerating slowly, around 1600RPMs. It continues until it shifts up to 4th unless you let off the gas a little. If i give it more gas off the start i can avoid the shuddering all together. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing thing happening that others here have described. Taking it in to demonstrate the issue to the technician today. Have also printed the service bulletin, but they are probably familiar with it.

I wish i had discovered this issue before i made the final purchase though...I could have had them address it before i picked it up. But now i fear the cost to repair will be on me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No cost to me. The dealership changed the TM fluid and did the software update recommended in TSB 15-086. No shuddering problem anymore.

There is a highway vibration that is TSB 15-076, but i haven't been able to find much on that one. I have the highway vibration and the dealership said they re-balanced the rear tires, but i still have the vibration on the highway. The feeling is strange, it's like when you're on a train and it runs over the joint in the rails, only the vibration is more frequent than that. Will have to speak to the dealership again.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts