Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
This is a very common problem for those that refuse to change get their transmission fluid as required (about every 30-50K). An issue all the way back to 2002 versions.

I hope no one is flushing them, that's going to cause more problems than it fixes, look up the proper procedure for changing the fluid.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's just a mediocre product. Nothing to do with oil change. All three of my 5-speed Honda shuddering torque converters have failed under 50K miles. It's not normal. None of my other cars have failed this soon if at all. I caused my Taurus' transmission to slip at 150K racing too often because I was an idiot. I had a 1993 Transit van with probably 300K+ on the original transmission. It was a delivery van in the company and driven hard. Sold it and the new owner kept in touch for years, the transmission was never an issue. And it was a Ford, FFS.

When should a flush be done, if ever? Thanks
Flush is the proper way to change the fluid nowadays. Not the old-timey power flush but an inline fluid replacement machine. Nothing dislodges in the transmission.

Reactions: Teacherguy

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It's just a mediocre product. Nothing to do with oil change. All three of my 5-speed Honda shuddering torque converters have failed under 50K miles. It's not normal. None of my other cars have failed this soon if at all. I caused my Taurus' transmission to slip at 150K racing too often because I was an idiot. I had a 1993 Transit van with probably 300K+ on the original transmission. It was a delivery van in the company and driven hard. Sold it and the new owner kept in touch for years, the transmission was never an issue. And it was a Ford, FFS.

Flush is the proper way to change the fluid nowadays. Not the old-timey power flush but an inline fluid replacement machine. Nothing dislodges in the transmission.
Everything about your post is incorrect.

Not mediocre product. Fluid changes are required. Having worked in a transmission shop for almost 20yrs I can say for a fact that needs to be done because Hondas are a sealed transmission. Almost all vehicles give a service interval for a reason. Some longer than others

The fluid should be changed every 30-50k. That's pretty much any transmission.

Another thing, DONT FLUSH A HONDA TRANSMISSION, that is the likely reason yours failed. You do drain and fill 3x at change intervals to change the fluid.

You have basically explained why your transmissions have failed but mine is at 100 miles shy of 250k. You drive horrible and dont maintain your vehicles then blame the vehicle.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You are back to appealing to your own authority. Your profession does not mean anything as you are obviously bad at it. Your shop has old technology and means. You are also bad with people and logic.

Honda has admitted their fault. You should admit yours some day.

Reactions: intruder1500

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You are back to appealing to your own authority. Your profession does not mean anything as you are obviously bad at it. Your shop has old technology and means. You are also bad with people and logic.

Honda has admitted their fault. You should admit yours some day.
That's what you have to say. What are you like 13? You admitted to beating on your vehicles, you admitted to not maintaining properly and service procedures not being done properly.

FYI trans flush machines are not power flush, just to prove your lack of knowledge, they hook up to the transmission cooler lines and use the transmission to do the fluid exchange. Do them all the time. There is no power to the machine itself unless it's a new digital one which still doesnt pump, just uses electronics to monitor instead of basic pressure and limit switches. But that is not correct for Honda as they have a sump in the bottom that collects the majority of the debris. If it is not drained that debris gets sucked back up into the filter, which requires and entire transmission tear down to replace. Dealt with enough of them.

All manufacturers have issues with torque converters, called manufacturing defect. Just like any other issue. It happens, often times covered by an extended warranty/recall issued by the vehicle brand if they have too many. But Hondas have low tolerance for lack of maintenance, so that increases chances of failures.

Think what you wish, I mostly hang out here to help those that need it because they have trouble affording to pay a shop or simply want to learn. But I have very little patience for people giving bad information to those that need help because it costs them money they dont need to be wasting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I purchased a 2013 about 6 weeks ago, 130,000 miles and had noticed the same shuddering at the same speed.
I did a lot of research on forums, websites and such, and came across this. For less than $9, thought what the hell.
Arrived yesterday and poured it in, went thru the gears, and this has fixed my issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002JMLQU/

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hope it works for you.....another member apparently did not have a good experience and ended up going back to Honda product only.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
That is a temp fix. But seeing as that fixed it for the moment, go have a proper fluid change done with Honda fluid. Then problem will stay gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is a temp fix. But seeing as that fixed it for the moment, go have a proper fluid change done with Honda fluid. Then problem will stay gone.

What is that (approximately) going to cost? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I upgraded from my 2007 XL to a 2014 EXL with 48,685 miles in October of 2019. Noticed the transmission shudder when cold, researched the Forum and learned of the problem and possible fix. Recently had the fluid changed and software update, I am now a Happy Camper that no longer has the shudder. Thanks to all who participate here with information fixes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone I've bought a 2013 4th Gen here in the UK. Should I be getting the dealer to check this if I have no problems at the moment?

Knowing my luck the problem will appear as soon as the car is 8 years old (next year!)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Changing the fluid is the correct action.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
33 Posts
Every vehicle has an owners manual. The manual has a maintenance schedule. Tells you when to change every fluid. Simple and it works. Most people never read it.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi FWD
58 Posts
I upgraded from my 2007 XL to a 2014 EXL with 48,685 miles in October of 2019. Noticed the transmission shudder when cold, researched the Forum and learned of the problem and possible fix. Recently had the fluid changed and software update, I am now a Happy Camper that no longer has the shudder. Thanks to all who participate here with information fixes.
Just in case... after Software Update.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Honda CRV with 80k miles
Aug 2018 my transmission was shuddering at @ 25 mph.
Pensacola Honda serviced it as indicated by a Honda Technical Service Bulletin. Flush and reprogram trans computer.
Dec 2019 transmission shuddering again now they want $275 for a transmission flush that may or may not fix the problem. NO guarantee.
Joe
I added Lubeguard Shudder Fixx to the transmission fluid. Stopped the shudder completely. I got the idea off of the forum. Several other people used it successfully. Won't hurt transmission and costs less than $10. You have nothing to lose!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts