Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed with my CRV issue. I purchased in private sale, 2013 exl- 67,000 km, in October, drove it home 600km without any issues. Car drove smoothly, quietly, responded as needed. Kept it unlicensed until sold my 2007 CRV, which took a month. Put '13 on road and next day my husband took a short trip- 30km, and on way home the 'check engine' light came on- but not flashing. No change in how it is driving. We took to the local Honda dealer where we had been taking our '07 (very rarely as had 2 repairs in 8 years of ownership!).

Dealer did a 'diagnostic' and CODE P2422 - evac CVS stuck closed- recommended new cvs canister vent solonioid- $50+92 labour. Agreed to do the work. ECL went off, drove about 50 miles, ECL came on again. Now dealer says they want to do 'pinpoint test and flow chart for this code' and to leave at least one full day, possibly longer if parts are required (may have vehicle disassembled). Also, "When we run the quick function test the system passes. Therefore the failure is a result of something slow to respond or intermittent."

Car is running well. We are not confident that this will be an easily identifiable fix, and as to cost- unknown? The emissions system appears complicated and multi-layered. Anyone have input or experience with this problem? Previous owner on west coast, we are in a drier climate. thanks,

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just to be clear otto888man, you mean run a couple of tanks of gas thru before taking it back to the dealer, correct?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Just to be clear otto888man, you mean run a couple of tanks of gas thru before taking it back to the dealer, correct?
You're correct run the fuel tanks with full of fuel maybe 5 times. See what happens. Don't take it to the dealer. It could be a stuck fuel tank sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for suggestions. Difficult to use up 4-5 tanks for us, but will plan a longer trip before Xmas. Does the amount of weeks it takes to use up that much gas matter? Funny to think of using gas up rather than conserving, but beats unknown cost of 'pin-point' diagnosing and dismantling. this is what the service

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, hit wrong key! Here's the dealer's recommendation: "We checked our systems and files and have not found any definite possibilities. The next step is to start following the pinpoint test and flow chart for this code—this could take some time to do. If you would like to re book and leave the vehicle with us for at least one full day , possibly longer if parts are required (may have vehicle disassembled) and pre-authorize us up to 2 hrs diagnostic time. We may find the problem with in that time frame." Not very reassuring.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

Anytime a Check Engine light comes on within a short time or mileage from a date of sale, I immediately suspect fraud on the part of the seller. Scan tools are in the hands of everyone today. With the right knowledge, you can mask almost anything, and it won't necessarily be detected on day 1. Evaporative emissions testing is a two successive fail event, for instance. A pump-down test is done on the system and a leak-back evaluation follows. This is done approximately 5-6 hours after the last use of the vehicle. In your case you only drove it twice in the first month you owned it, so on the second use it failed! An intermittent event (sometime pass, sometimes fail) could go on for days or longer before you get the double fail. Unfortunately after a month you truly own it, warts and all.

Diagnosis can be difficult on this system, and you can rapidly find yourself in random-parts-replacement hell. The good news is that in most cases this does not impact driveability and as long as you don't have a major leak it might only have a minor impact on total emissions (fuel evaporation from the otherwise sealed system). If your Province requires emissions testing for inspection/licensing, then you must address this. If not, you might be able to put this repair off for a bit - for say maybe a time of better weather?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm sure that this is totally unrelated, but worth checking anyhow. Google a Honda TSB related to Evap Emissions failures due to a gas cap "O" ring seal. Service Bulletin 14-010

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input. yes, we had the thought: "I immediately suspect fraud on the part of the seller. Scan tools are in the hands of everyone today. With the right knowledge, you can mask almost anything, and it won't necessarily be detected on day 1." The deal went through no hitch, so I guess, if a deal is too good to be true, take note. The good: we paid 3G less than going price, 42,000 miles for 5 year old car (played heavily in purchase decision), interior and exterior in excellent condition, and really like the obsidian blue color (I know that's frivolous consideration). As to 'intermittent' nature of problem: our '07 CRV we bought in 2010, had starter click 1-2 times before firing, but not consistently- drove it with no problem until Jan 2018 when we replaced the starter! There is no longer emissions testing in BC- where we are in interior there never was. I appreciate the suggestions. Difficult to agree to risk 'random-parts-replacement hell.' We could call previous owner to see if repair was ignored. I'll post any resolution. Thanks for "O" ring seal suggestion, will check today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Diagnosis can be difficult on this system, and you can rapidly find yourself in random-parts-replacement hell." True- we requested quote of end cost if entire system needed replacement. $1500-$2000. Honda dealer did not answer our last question: 'what if light still on' after this comprehensive diagnoses and replacement of parts in emissions system?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Can I suggest that you open up a case with Honda of Canada and see if they can either assist with the cost or at least with a higher level of technical support to the dealer to help nail this down? It might still be covered by the Emissions Warranty (at least in the USA), or they might have some provision for subsidizing the cost of repair. 1-888-9-HONDA-9

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have been thinking on the same lines about contacting Honda Canada. We cancelled the local appointment for Dec 20. Thank you for those concrete suggestions on how to proceed. Emissions and pollution of atmosphere are very real today. If we felt confident the problem would be fixed, we would go ahead with repairing. I'm really missing my '07. Went against my own mantra: 'better the devil you know'- maybe we just lucky- it cost us $900 in repairs in 8 years of ownership! Now I don't know what we would buy if shopped today.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
"Diagnosis can be difficult on this system, and you can rapidly find yourself in random-parts-replacement hell." True- we requested quote of end cost if entire system needed replacement. $1500-$2000. Honda dealer did not answer our last question: 'what if light still on' after this comprehensive diagnoses and replacement of parts in emissions system?
Basically that amount they're saying that they'll replace the whole entire Emission control system.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Emissions and pollution of atmosphere are very real today. If we felt confident the problem would be fixed, we would go ahead with repairing.
I'm grateful to hear that you feel this way. I'm very reluctant to suggest that someone ignore an emissions control system fail, but sometimes car makers don't help make being a responsible owner easy. They owe you at least some technical assistance, even if not financial. Appeal to their better nature to review the case and help put a cap on it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
You'll be better armed if you know that Honda dealerships generally do not have any mechanics - they only have parts replacers, who are trained to operate the Honda Diagnostic machine, and then replace parts until the problem is solved. This, after all, is how they make their money. The service writer's job is primarily sales, not repair. You would be better advised to avoid dealers altogether and find an honest shop with an actual real mechanic and have them test it. A tall order, to be sure, but worth it. I would never take a vehicle to a dealer for anything other than recall or warranty work. A dealer will lie, cheat, and rob you blind if you let them. It's how they operate, and there are no exceptions. Anyone who tells you different is a liar. You likely completely wasted the money you paid them. You'll know this once you find that real mechanic, because he will prove it to you. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
...Honda dealerships generally do not have any mechanics - they only have parts replacers, who are trained to operate the Honda Diagnostic machine, and then replace parts until the problem is solved.
I can't argue with this premise, and it's why I often send my vehicles in with sheets from the service manual, forum quotes or my own written comments left in the car on the dash for the techs to see. And why I think you should get Honda Canada into the game as a watcher/gatekeeper when a problem isn't easily solved.

It's also one of the big reasons I purchase the Extended Warranty on all cars I buy. It only takes one adventure like this to pay it back in spades. On the past few vehicles I've come out thousands ahead in just such situations. Let them burn Honda's (Subaru's / Toyota's) money, rather than mine. It's amazing to watch just how fast the factory contacts the dealership when the same item gets addressed a second time and remains unresolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is an 'Extended Warranty' offered to subsequent owners of a vehicle or only to original buyer? We purchased from the original owner and they did not purchase extended warranty.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is an 'Extended Warranty' offered to subsequent owners of a vehicle or only to original buyer? We purchased from the original owner and they did not purchase extended warranty.
I believe it is. Here's the link to HondaCare: https://www.hondafinancialservices.com/leasing/extended-services-faqs
I personally would recommend HondaCare vs. 3rd party. Your servicing dealer may not offer the best price. There are online sellers (Honda Dealers), and Honda will honor those as well.
Some examples of online sellers in the US: Sacucci Honda, College Hills Honda, Curry Honda etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for the info. We will contact HondaCare. Overall we are happy with the car. It is a definite upgrade to our '07 and we hope once this CE light is off it will give us similar long term experience.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Typically in the USA you have to be under the 3 yr / 36k miles (58k km for you folks in Canada) to be able to buy extended coverage. There are some exceptions on both time and mileage if you purchased from a Honda dealer, but not from private sales. But things could be different up North, so you have to get the specifics terms for Honda Canada.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts