Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a "new-to-me" 2013 EX-L, fresh off a lease -- it was a private purchase and not directly from Honda. After getting the car home, the iMid display will not turn off. Even when the car is off, the display remains backlit, which I'm sure will eventually drain the battery. I brought the car to the dealership, and they can't seem to figure out the problem. They are recommending that I replace the driver's fuse box "as a start" to see if that helps the problem. This guesswork on their part will run me $800. Anyone else ever encounter a problem like this? Any suggestions as to what could be causing it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick update: Heard from service manager at dealership. Turns out that a coin had been inserted into the radio, which broke not only the radio, but also shorted out the driver's fuse box. So the good news is that I don't have to worry that I bought some kind of lemon that isn't going to work properly. The bad news is that even if the car was under warranty, this isn't the sort of thing that would be covered! In any case, the car was sold used to me (not certified, no warranty), but title did pass from America Honda Finance to me ... Dealership and I both asked Honda America to cover the repair under a "good will" warranty. Do they have to? Absolutely not. Do I think they should? Sure. But we'll see. I'm pretty sure they will NOT cover it. But we'll see!

·
Super Moderator
3,108 Posts
The seller probably knew it didn't work and why. You bought the car on the reasonable basis (I hope) that everything worked. You have rights therefore against them to recover cost if repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alright, I just ran into this same problem. The i-Mid screen wasn't turning off even with the key out of the ignition. Took the car in this past Monday and after looking at the car and ordering parts, I took the car in today, Thursday. Guess what they told me? Found a coin in the CD slot. I feel like they just Googled the problem like I did and found this thread. I don't think there was a coin in the slot because I researched the problem too, thinking there might be a coin in the slot I put a CD in. Works perfectly! My questions is, if there was a coin in the CD slot, wouldn't one hear it , or wouldn't a CD not work properly? Am I being had by the dealership? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Double-check that the door open/close switches are all working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everything worked on the car which is why I find the coin excuse suspect. I believe it was simply a glitch that couldn't be explained. So far the car is still in the dealership. I've share the same experience with CRVnewbie16. I'm curious to see if more dealerships diagnose the mystery coin to anyone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought a "new-to-me" 2013 EX-L, fresh off a lease -- it was a private purchase and not directly from Honda. After getting the car home, the iMid display will not turn off. Even when the car is off, the display remains backlit, which I'm sure will eventually drain the battery. I brought the car to the dealership, and they can't seem to figure out the problem. They are recommending that I replace the driver's fuse box "as a start" to see if that helps the problem. This guesswork on their part will run me $800. Anyone else ever encounter a problem like this? Any suggestions as to what could be causing it?
Hey do you remember what repair was done aside from replacing the radio. I have the same problem my kid put 2 coins in the CD slot and now the imid wont turn off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My son put 16 coins in our cd player and bam, same issue. I got all the coins out but then the i-mid is now staying on. I pulled the #35 fuse which fixed it but now we have no radio. The short has to be in the radio. So now the issue is replace the radio or return the fuse and charge my battery every night. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I put in the new radio and no luck. The new radio is prompting me to press and hold the power button for 2 seconds I do so and get 3 beeps and then nothing.

I did everything from disconnecting the battery to entering the new radios unlock code.

A red light is flashing above the CD slot even without the car being on which I find weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh man! Reading some of the other posts everyone is suggesting taking it to the dealer but I know that is going to be pricey and noone has even mentioned it actually being fixed. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last update, I finally got the replacement to work. Honda gave me the code for free. By holding power for 2 seconds until 3 beeps are heard then pressing 3 the Imid screen said " Enter C" by entering the rest of the code given by Honda it unlocked the radio.

If you can find an OEM radio on Ebay that has a guarantee and is marked as tested I'd say it's worth giving it a try instead of giving Honda 500$. I paid around 30$ for my used head unit with shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last update, I finally got the replacement to work. Honda gave me the code for free. By holding power for 2 seconds until 3 beeps are heard then pressing 3 the Imid screen said " Enter C" by entering the rest of the code given by Honda it unlocked the radio.

If you can find an OEM radio on Ebay that has a guarantee and is marked as tested I'd say it's worth giving it a try instead of giving Honda 500$. I paid around 40$ for my used head unit with shipping.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If you can find an OEM radio on Ebay that has a guarantee and is marked as tested I'd say it's worth giving it a try instead of giving Honda 500$. I paid around 30$ for my used head unit with shipping.
We have this same problem. We just got an OEM radio off eBay and tried what you said of clicking 3 after the 3 beeps but then it does nothing. Did you have to push anything else? We called several Honda dealers and they aren’t helpful...anyone have other ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me give a brief description on how the iMID is turned ON and OFF.

In the attached diagram, the iMID places a 10v reference voltage on the PINK wire at all times. When the radio is turned ON in the background via the BCAN network, the radio then GROUNDS the PINK wire (this is why a coin floating around inside the radio can be just one cause of why an iMID can stay ON all the time).

The iMID detects the wire is grounded (0v = It's a pull down circuit) and now turns ON. This is how the iMID "greets" you when you open the door, but before you turn ON the ignition (opening the door is one way of waking up the BCAN network in the vehicle).

An easy way to diagnose this problem is as follows:

1. Does the iMID stay on all the time?
NO - No problem at this time.
YES - Unplug the "C" connector on the back of the radio.
Did the iMID turn OFF?
NO - Go to step 2.
YES - Diagnose the radio (or BCAN not going to sleep).

2. Disconnect the HFL unit.
Did the iMID turn OFF?
NO - Go to step 3.
YES - Replace the HFL unit.

3. Disconnect the XM unit (if equipped).
Did the iMID turn OFF?
NO - Go to step 4.
YES - Replace the XM unit.

Note before step 4. We're now down to a short to ground on the PINK wire in the dash harness or a bad iMID. Without a known-good iMID to substitute in, checking the PINK wire for continuity to ground is not always conclusive because wires can be shorted to each other in the harness.

4. Substitute a known-good iMID.
Does the iMID stay OFF?
YES - Send the iMID out for repair per HSB 06-001 or replace.
NO - Repair (or replace) the dash harness.

Now why did I bring up the HFL and XM units? They are all on this same "trigger" wire and all are woken up the same way! The EWD doesn't show the circuit details as well as the older ETM, so there isn't one current electronic diagram I can show how all these units are tied together.

Screenshot_20190912-101644_Chrome.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have this same problem. We just got an OEM radio off eBay and tried what you said of clicking 3 after the 3 beeps but then it does nothing. Did you have to push anything else? We called several Honda dealers and they aren’t helpful...anyone have other ideas?
Never mind, we figured it out...instead of clicking 3 we just clicked the first number of our code then the enter c appeared.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
rkrinken
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing