Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone, looking for some guidance.

My wife has a 2013 CR-V EX-L. It has been using oil to the point where the dealer had initiated an oil consumption test. It rattled a bit upon acceleration (sounded like valves to my untrained ears), when the oil was low.

Now, on Friday my wife was driving on the freeway and the car all of a sudden felt like it down shifted and would not go faster that 25 mph. Once i got there and got her off the free way it was definitely not going more than 25 mph. The dealer is now "talking to techline (honda tech service)" to help them figure out the issue. I am concerned because there is only about 8000 mile left on the warranty. I guess the diagnostic codes indicated timing or firing issues and he mentioned the "exhaust valves" being replaced.

My concern is that if they fix this issue, which seems to have been there from the start with the oil consumption, and something happens again after the warrant is up, then what?

When do i push for a new engine / lemon law?

Anyone have any of these issues?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your '13 V. Each state is different but in many to be lemon law eligible, it would have to be taking to the dealer several times without it being able to be fixed.

You should be able to check your state here and see what it says:

http://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

Good luck. Hope it gets fixed without any further problems.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Powertrain warranty is for 5 years/ 60k miles. I am sure the engine is covered under that warranty. Check the warranty booklet to be sure.

Besides the Lemon Law, you may want to consider extended Honda Care service contract if Honda agrees to provide one. If not, I would try and optimize the remaining months & warranty miles (make the months and remaining miles run out around the same time) so you'll at least achieve full use of the original warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like the car's ECU has detected a potentially damaging problem and put the engine in Limp Mode (happens in other makes, I dunno about Honda but seems likely). Limp Mode gives limited functionality - such as the engine will not rev, you can't get up to speed over 25, etc., and sets code(s?) for diagnosis/repair.

Yeah it sounds like things have come to the point where the shirt is just skimming the fan. You should be protected by the warranty, since you have made the dealer aware while the warranty was active, and the dealer has initiated action (suggesting they acknowledge there is a problem).

Generally to invoke the Lemon Law, you have to have spent a goodly number of days with the car in the shop. The number probably varies by state but it doesn't sound like this is your situation. Alternatively the dealer may offer to buy back the car to prevent customer "ill will" (essentially to induce you to buy from them again). The offer may be valued as if you rented the car from them for the duration of use. If the proposed buy-back is not prompted by legal action, everything is negotiable. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, nor should it be construed as such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked with the dealer/shop today. He said the essentially need to replace the top half of the engine. The parts alone cost about $3k. Something scored the engine or something. Sorry, he wasn't;t very specific. Anyway - they hopefully will have it tomorrow and have it back to us tomorrow or the next day. Not very confident in taking it to Florida at the end of the month, though (about a 2600 mile round trip).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Top half?

Talked with the dealer/shop today. He said the essentially need to replace the top half of the engine. The parts alone cost about $3k. Something scored the engine or something. Sorry, he wasn't;t very specific. Anyway - they hopefully will have it tomorrow and have it back to us tomorrow or the next day. Not very confident in taking it to Florida at the end of the month, though (about a 2600 mile round trip).
"top half of the engine" may or may not be good news? The oil burning is almost certainly rings and or pistons.

Sounds to me like the low oil condition caused the timing chain to get loose enough to allow valve damage, thus the replacement of valves. But that is not the cause of the oil burning.

"Something scored" might be a good thing if it is the cylinders and they have to clean them up and replace pistons and rings also.

In summary, you may well be just fine!

And 8,000 miles should be plenty to decide if it is OK.

My '07 and '10 use no oil. Neither has been down even a half quart at 15% oil life in combined 100K miles.

If the repaired engine does not use oil and runs OK it is more than likely OK.

If it uses any oil I would agitate for fixing it again, a new engine, or an appropriate allowance on a different vehicle?

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts